Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: shield flanking damage  (Read 1285 times)

bananana

• Commander
    • View Profile
shield flanking damage
« on: November 18, 2020, 01:58:39 AM »

i have noticed a while ago that beams completely ignore the existence of shields if shot at/through the "inner" part of the shield
like shown on screenshots:
Spoiler

[close]
are there any plans to change this behavior? especially in 0.95? is this an intended feature?
Any and ALL sprites i ever posted on this forum are FREE to use. even if i'm using them myself. Don't ever, EVER ask for permission, or i will come to your home and EAT YOUR DOG!!!
i do NOT want to see my name appear in the credits section of any published mod and will consider it a personal insult.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
Re: shield flanking damage
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 02:02:16 AM »

I would say it's an intended feature considering you're shooting from the inside out of the shield and not directly into it.

What's more, I'd like all other weapon types to have the same behaviour and be able to, for example, shoot thru an allied 180° shield.

AI firing restrictions due to allies being in the way is very excessive at the moment and implementing something as small as this would actually help quite a lot on some ship setups.
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

bananana

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 02:18:43 AM »

I would say it's an intended feature considering you're shooting from the inside out of the shield and not directly into it.
as someone who's making a faction mod centered around using inner shield as main blocking surface, i strongly disagree with that sentiment. it either blocks both ways, or doesn't block both ways, at which point it stops being a shield and becomes a pretty hologram.
furthermore, it is inconsistent. projectiles and missiles are blocked by inner shield.
so i'd like to know for sure in which way this inconsistency will be solved and whether i should abandon the whole idea entirely and do something more productive with my time
Spoiler

[close]
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 02:20:29 AM by passwalker »
Any and ALL sprites i ever posted on this forum are FREE to use. even if i'm using them myself. Don't ever, EVER ask for permission, or i will come to your home and EAT YOUR DOG!!!
i do NOT want to see my name appear in the credits section of any published mod and will consider it a personal insult.

pairedeciseaux

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 10:41:10 AM »

A small inconsistency. My guess on the way it works is (I could very well be wrong!)
  • projectile collision detection is area-based, area being defined either by ship bounds (projectile hits ship) or by actual area between ship and shield (projectile hits shield)
  • beam collision detection is distance-to-object-based, object being defined either by ship bounds (beam hits ship) or ... center-of-ship + shield-radius + shield-arc + shield-orientation (beam hits shield on the outside)

(it's probably more complicated than that for projectiles, because fast projectiles could in theory "bypass" shield between two frames and directly hit ship if using a naive pure area collision detection)

In my opinion it would feel more natural to have all projectiles (own, allies, enemies) go through from inside shield to outside, as we have now with own weapon's projectiles going through own shield.

passwalker, if you don't get an answer here, maybe try in the Modding section of the forum, especially the following thread where a lot of creative/exotic Q&A happens: https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=5061.0

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 12:10:34 PM »

Ah - this is something of a bug, but it's a tricky one to fix, and given that its impact is generally low, it's a low-priority one. I can't honestly see taking the time for this (and it would unfortunately take a fair bit of time) over doing something else more high-value unless somehow this became a big issue for something in vanilla.

... which, of course, leaves you in a lurch with what you're doing - my apologies!

(Judging from your screenshot, btw, it looks like you might have shields inside the bounds of the hull? If that's correct, that could cause other collision-related problems as well.)

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 12:30:27 PM »

Leave it up to modders to find every limit case for game mechanics and build a thing around it. ;D

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 02:57:55 PM »

That is an awesome shield, passwalker. Sad that it is bugged.

bananana

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 05:06:06 PM »

That is an awesome shield, passwalker. Sad that it is bugged.
it's not bugged if i say that's a feature.
... which, of course, leaves you in a lurch with what you're doing - my apologies!
nah, not really, everything is just as planned
just wanted a clarification about whether this is going to change and how, so i can plan ahead accordingly
i mean, if you'd have said that you're going to make projectiles ignore inner shield too - well, then i'd have some problems.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2020, 05:29:35 PM »

I admire your pioneering spirit and can-do attitude :D