Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: {0.9.1a-RC8} AI irrationally afraid of superior numbers of far inferior quality  (Read 678 times)

SomethingOrOther

• Ensign
    • View Profile

This is especially evident with Safety Overrides and Erratic Injector.

A ship that can 100% face-plow an entire group of far inferior quality nevertheless cowers back; the "threat assessment" is weighing numbers too heavily (or only?).

The other side of this: capital ships (even with a lot of PD) are cowering back from missile barrages that are doing essentially nothing but make pretty lights and noise against shields. In my personal experience, very rarely does their missile-phobia make sense - they should advance under fire to get in range.

Please fix... :-(

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Re: SO ships - I'd suggest putting a reckless officer in there. They don't care about being flanked; the other officer personalities do; this is what's causing the caution you're seeing. This wouldn't be a good idea to "fix"; as much as the ships may be "lower quality", if one of them happens to have a Reaper or a couple of Hammers or whatever - or even an Ion Cannon to take down the engines, the list goes on - then getting flanked could easily be fatal.

Re: missiles, I get what you're saying! It's a tough problem to solve, though - imo it's better to err on the side of caution than for a ship to get destroyed now and again. Just in general, if ships lean towards playing it safe, it gives the player more of an opportunity to influence the outcome.

sector_terror

• Commander
    • View Profile

I think it's more to keep the AI from getting overwhelmed and surrounded in -your- fleet. I would be furious if the AI threw itself 4 to 1 against a fully loaded enemy no matter how weak that enemy was, it just put my ship(money) at severe risk for nothing. this would be especially bad with ships like the sunderer who lack the defenses to get out of a bad scenario quickly, so getting too aggressive would make those ships trash for the AI. The AI is basically afraid of being clanked or caught without the necessary flux to fight back. Fair enough honestly.