Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: What is your favorite class to use as your flagship?  (Read 9678 times)

Kpop

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
What is your favorite class to use as your flagship?
« on: November 04, 2020, 08:17:07 AM »

For me its cruisers. That's probably going to be the most common one though I'd think. A good blend of firepower, survivability and speed(I like Eagles and Falcons). SO hammerhead is great though.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: What is your favorite class to use as your flagship?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 08:43:17 AM »

The Conquest-class.
I don't have any particular favourite ship size, but I tend to enjoy bigger ships (Conquest, Odyssey, Aurora) more often than smaller ships (Tempest, Medusa).

Nao

• Ensign
  • (A!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 08:53:08 AM »

Depends on playthrough, if i take most combat skills it's a BC or Cap (or random SO destroyer)... but otherwise it's actually a high-end frigate. Since flying frigate of all things feels like the most RTS way to play. Giving away the DP to AI (macro) and being able to be everywhere at once, turning stalemates into advantages (micro).

But also just thinking in terms of pressure, i find frigates just as effective as a destroyer or light cruiser... so it's either frigate or something above cruiser.

Kpop

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 08:55:41 AM »

The Conquest-class.
I don't have any particular favourite ship size, but I tend to enjoy bigger ships (Conquest, Odyssey, Aurora) more often than smaller ships (Tempest, Medusa).

I'd imagine people who enjoy capitals to be a rarity but the conquest is a unique one due to its great maneuverability and speed. Even though this thread is more to be about the weight class of what most people enjoy using I do wanna talk conquest though.

Do you use the single broadside build or do you make use of both? Either way slapping 2 hammer barrages with expanded missile racks on and killing from bow, port, and starboard with Mjolnirs is a great feeling(and praying you don't get anything substantial fired at you).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 08:58:40 AM by Kpop »

Nao

• Ensign
  • (A!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 09:45:50 AM »

I'd imagine people who enjoy capitals to be a rarity but the conquest is a unique one due to its great maneuverability and speed. Even though this thread is more to be about the weight class of what most people enjoy using I do wanna talk conquest though
One side: Mark9's against the big fishes, other side: Hellbores for obliteration of everything medium sized. Mjolnirs feel like the worse of both worlds.
Tried hammers/reapers and as fun as it was, it never felt as strong as Hurricanes or Squalls. Might be just my love for Hellbores.
Also Ion beam(s) :3
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 10:29:28 AM by Nao »

pairedeciseaux

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 10:20:54 AM »

I have no favourite ship size for player piloted ship. I like the ship size/firepower/gameplay diversity.

I almost never pilot the biggest/slowest military ship in my fleet, which means if I send a mix of cruisers + destroyers + frigates into battle, I am likely to pilot a destroyer or a frigate. On the other hand, if I send a Conquest with a few Dominators + some carriers + no lighter ships, I might then pilot the Conquest.

Typical piloted ship progression is Wolf -> Shrike -> Falcon -> Conquest. Though often I would skip either Shrike or Falcon. I appreciate superior mobility and easy to obtain ships.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 10:53:09 AM »

Cruiser > Capital > Destroyer >>>> Frigate

I don't "do" twitch.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 11:27:40 AM »

Anything that suits the odds. I like Afflictor for chasing down enemies, Doom for general tide-turning carnage and capitals like Paragon for core farming. I guess the odd man out is the destroyer class. Suitable for early game, but either too slow or too weak for real work.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2020, 11:29:33 AM »

Conquest, Odyssey and Afflictor. If my fleet has one of these capitals and several Afflictors to swap, I'm extremely unlikely to pilot anything else.

Scorpixel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2020, 11:46:07 AM »

Cruiser/capital capable of flanking, and/or a powerful burst/alpha-strike to break lines. Destroyer as long as my character only has non-combat traits.
Too trash of a pilot to do anything worthwhile in a frigate that behave like a soap bar.
I like mules and i don't know why.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2020, 11:58:02 AM »

Also a cruiser fan myself, honestly I'd be surprised if anyone hated piloting them, since they come in a huge variety of sizes and roles. There's a cruiser for every playstyle I think. Capitals / destroyers depend on the ship specifically, but frigates in general just feel weird to pilot imo. Maybe it's just me but I can't wait to get out of the frigate stage in the game to get myself a bigger ship so I'm not fighting myself piloting a mosquito who's scared to death of a single Salamander. Scarab is pretty fun to use but haven't found that thing since it was one of the starting options.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2020, 12:33:40 PM »

Generally something with punch and that is fast. Odyssey is the late game flagship I aim for.  So I guess capital.

SO Aurora is sometimes a stepping stone on the way there if I find one.  SO Apogee is more common.  Generally flying the largest class I have access to that is as fast as the tier (or two) below.

eidolad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2020, 12:55:38 PM »

The Victory for line-breaking dash-kills.  Requiring a bit of kitting out and is well balanced.

Warlord-616x

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2020, 01:05:45 PM »

well i 'like' doing the hh and just rolling around in blowing stuff up, but after the battles get bigger ive had to use other ships to ensure the ai doesnt bork the job.  its pretty good with some ships like the conquest, but bringing the astral for example is a waste in ai hands imo with it being so dependent on the special ability that the ai doesnt seem to use (or very well). I really need to try some other ships, but still trying to figure some things out...

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2020, 04:28:05 PM »

I tend to pilot the biggest ship in my fleet, unless it's a carrier or an "anchor" (i.e. a Dominator in an otherwise Destroyer-heavy fleet).

Early game, I really like the Hammerhead as a general go-to but if I can find a Tempest, it's about the only frigate I'll consistently pilot over a Destroyer. It's extremely fast and can punch above its weight using HEF and a Heavy Blaster/Phase Lance+Graviton.

Mid-Game (pre-colonies), an Eagle is a really solid ship and with SO, it can push out some ruinous firepower while remaining very nimble. The Falcon (P) is also extremely powerful in the player's hands. I'll probably have a few Cruisers at this point but I generally can't find the top-tier ones like the Aurora or Doom, otherwise those would be my #1 choices.

For the endgame, I prefer the Odyssey most. 2x Plasma Cannon is absurd, it's as fast as a Cruiser, isn't a logistical nightmare and doesn't slow my fleet down. It gets into a little trouble against stations (where mobility doesn't really save it) but can otherwise go toe-to-toe with about anything. The Conquest is also good but I find it to be less versatile than the Odyssey, overall. Certain Onslaught builds are fun if you just want to facetank everything but I find that to be a little less rewarding than the positioning battles that the Odyssey can get into. Finally, there's the Paragon. I have a love/hate relationship with it: I love it because I can not only outgun anything fielded against me but I can outlast it, too. It's this behemoth of a ship that can annihilate whole fleets but unless I want a power trip, it's not super-engaging.

So, to summarize, it depends. :P I think my favorite "class" is the battlecruisers followed closely by the top-tier Cruisers (Aurora/Doom). I think I will really like the new Champion and am optimistic about the Fury. I don't particularly like the Shrike but the Fury has a bit more firepower and will probably play similarly.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4