Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Have the game run in the background with sound on?  (Read 1256 times)

Platypus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Have the game run in the background with sound on?
« on: November 04, 2020, 07:55:33 AM »

Yeah so, does anyone know how to make the game run in the background with all its sound effects and music on? I'm babysitting a colony and want to know when to do stuff while simultaneously doing something else. I know the game can run in the background when I switch to another program, but the problem is that there's no sound when I do so.

ofasia

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Have the game run in the background with sound on?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 12:02:10 PM »

Allowing myself to necro a somewhat old'ish thread because it's a top google result, not that old so still possibly useful to OP, while I generally could not find an answer anywhere myself. Feel free to close if needed.

To keep the game going with sound in background you can run as a window by ticking off fullscreen in the game's splash menu then using a program like Borderless Gaming to maximise it. It's a tiny program that's generally well known, so it's a workaround that worked for me. I couldn't find an answer or any setting in the ini that worked to keep the sound going while alt-tabbed.

Platypus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 03:40:14 PM »

Well, there's a reddit thread about it way back which is how I figured it out. But yes, that solution works

Vextor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 12:17:04 AM »

Open your launcher, change it to windowed mode and select your native resolution, then change
   "undecoratedWindow"
to false and
   "idleWhileWindowNotVisible"
to false. This should also fix the problem of the buggy alt-tabbing where 90% of the time the game stayed on top after alt-tab, or needing to press the windows button on your KB and then alt-tabbing for guaranteed alt-tabbing (at least on W7).