Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Help figuring out a crash [FIXED] and "Overworld micro-freezes"  (Read 1120 times)

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
Help figuring out a crash [FIXED] and "Overworld micro-freezes"
« on: November 02, 2020, 04:02:55 AM »

Hello, I've originally posted this on Nex but since I do NOT actually know what causes it I finally looked around for the correct section on the forum to post it:

I tried replicating the crash but it actually did not happen (sorry for the late reply by the way, you're always so helpful I actually felt bad not being able to reply to you for this long xD) but I'll make sure to send you the crash report next time something I think is involved with nex happens!

Edit: It's possible the last sentence before this edit actually summoned a crash because I just got one, no clue if it's related to Nex (asking for forgiveness in advance if it's not).

Code
7102971 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.A.new.super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.A.new.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.String.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.P.super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.oOOo.addIconFor(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.oOOo.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.impl.StandardTooltipV2$9.public.float(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.impl.StandardTooltipV2$9.beforeShown(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.C.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignState.advance(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I am almost sure it's a fleet that causes it and I have it happen at random intervals too.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 08:21:38 AM by Arcagnello »
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Re: Help figuring out a crash
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 05:52:49 AM »

See here.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Help figuring out a crash
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 05:57:39 AM »

See here.

I see, it's probably my two Locomotive converted battlestations that cause this then, I better erase autofits in the refit screen then!

Thank you again, Histidine, always helpful forum dweller :)

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Help figuring out a crash and overview "micro freezes"
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 06:18:17 AM »

Ah one more thing. I am confused about the fact that I am now getting an eerily reliable, brief freeze every 2 seconds while traveling around the sector in the overworld, wich only started to happen a few days ago. The FPS is usually around 30-35  otherwise. Any suspects that could cause this behaviour? I can provide the entire mod list in a short while!

Edit: I've also deleted any autofits on my converted hate station and the game has not crashed yet, will update in a while!

Edit 2: My current modlist:
Spoiler
Automatic Orders
Autosave
Better Colonies
Capture Officers And Crew
Combat Analitycs & Detailed Combat results
Combat Chatter
Commissioned Crews
Common Radar
Concordance Of Protection Syndacate
ED Shipyard
Hazard Mining Incorporated
Hostile Intercept (and Autopause!)
LazyLib
MagicLib
More Hullmods
Nexerelin
Rebalanced Pilums
Roider Union
Ruthless Sector
Second Wave Options
Ship/Weapon Pack
Starship Legends
Stop Gap Measures
Supply Forging
Tahlan Shipworks
Underworld
Vayra's Sector
Vayra's Ship Pack
GraphicsLib
[close]
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 08:26:31 AM by Arcagnello »

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Help figuring out a crash [FIXED] and "Overworld micro-freezes"
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 12:28:18 PM »

Have you upped your max memory?

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 01:33:35 PM »

Have you upped your max memory?

You mean swapping the base memory usage with -Xms4096m -Xmx4096m in the vmparams file? Did that a week or so ago and it visibly helped, I am still running on 0% idle by the way, my laptop is like 7 years old I think? It might be just me biting a mod list to big for my toaster to chew  ;D

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 01:55:20 PM »

OK, just making sure you had enough memory that you probably weren't triggering the GC.  Sounds like the same problem many of us have had with some mods causing stuttering that no one seems to be able to get to the bottom of.  Sorry :(

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 04:30:57 PM »

OK, just making sure you had enough memory that you probably weren't triggering the GC.  Sounds like the same problem many of us have had with some mods causing stuttering that no one seems to be able to get to the bottom of.  Sorry :(

Dude I played World Of Tanks all the way back when it was in open beta and with mods degrading/compressing graphics so it could look like runescape and run at the best FPS possible, a little stutter is nothing for me xD

Somebody is going to get to a solution to the staggering someday, and we'll all benefit  :)

pairedeciseaux

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2020, 11:04:10 PM »

Did that a week or so ago and it visibly helped, I am still running on 0% idle by the way, my laptop is like 7 years old I think? It might be just me biting a mod list to big for my toaster to chew  ;D

What are the specs of your laptop? CPU? GPU? Screen resolution? What resolution are you playing Starsector?

My understanding is, in order to tune performance, currently you may:
  • read and follow guidelines from the Modded System Requirements
  • reduce number of mods
  • turn off GraphicsLib visual effects
  • play at a lower resolution
  • (ensure no other application is eating performance while you are playing Starsector)

Where do you get the worst FPS/idle? In hyperspace when there are a lot of storms around? In system near a busy market with a lot of fleets around? In battle? Title screen (not a joke)?

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2020, 03:28:42 AM »

Did that a week or so ago and it visibly helped, I am still running on 0% idle by the way, my laptop is like 7 years old I think? It might be just me biting a mod list to big for my toaster to chew  ;D

What are the specs of your laptop? CPU? GPU? Screen resolution? What resolution are you playing Starsector?

My understanding is, in order to tune performance, currently you may:
  • read and follow guidelines from the Modded System Requirements
  • reduce number of mods
  • turn off GraphicsLib visual effects
  • play at a lower resolution
  • (ensure no other application is eating performance while you are playing Starsector)

Where do you get the worst FPS/idle? In hyperspace when there are a lot of storms around? In system near a busy market with a lot of fleets around? In battle? Title screen (not a joke)?

Potato Laptop specs.
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7600M Series
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3120M CPU @ 2.50 GHz
Memory: 4 GB
Current Resolution: 1600x900
GPU Driver Version: 15.200.1062.1004
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64 Bit)

I play in 1600x900 resolution, have already allocated 4gb or ram to Starsector, turned off all GraphicsLib visual effects and max numbers of them too and just run the game when playing.

I usually get a big FPS drop in systems full of objects, always when there the are a lot of fleets/colonies and almost never in hyperspace. I also sometimes get inexplicably low FPS after a big battle and need to restart the game to have it go back to normal.

Edit: I'll probably start a new campaign after this one is over where I generate a random sector and heavily lower the number of colonies/stations and whatnot in every sector just to make sure I don't get any of these issues for most of the campaign. Also thank you guys/gals, you've been very helpful :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 03:33:31 AM by Arcagnello »

pairedeciseaux

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2020, 04:30:39 AM »

Edit: I'll probably start a new campaign after this one is over where I generate a random sector and heavily lower the number of colonies/stations and whatnot in every sector just to make sure I don't get any of these issues for most of the campaign.

Yeah, sounds like a good approach. Though you may want to decrease the JVM heap allocation to 2 GB, given your computer only has 4 GB system memory (and maybe disable some mods accordingly). Swapping/paging is usually the last thing you want in a video game (that is, using HD/SSD as virtual memory).  ;D

According to the Modded System Requirements, one should allocate at most half of the available system memory for the JVM heap. So -Xms2g -Xmx2g should be a better fit for your computer. Quote from the guide:

2 GB Heap: This is good enough for perhaps two or three medium-size factions (e.g. Blackrock Drive Yards, Scy Nation), but is liable to crash when saving the game if you use more than that.  If you have only 4 GB of System RAM, this is the best you can do.

Now of course, trading performance for more shiny mod content is your call.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2020, 09:30:05 AM »

Yeah, sounds like a good approach. Though you may want to decrease the JVM heap allocation to 2 GB, given your computer only has 4 GB system memory (and maybe disable some mods accordingly). Swapping/paging is usually the last thing you want in a video game (that is, using HD/SSD as virtual memory).  ;D

I may actually do that sooner than later since I want to test myself in a truly hardcore campaign where I do not pick any commander skill improving combat performance of any ship, reduce max officer counts everywhere to 0 (or 1 if 0 does not work) using none myself, enable starfarer mode and keep both Ruthless Sector and Second Wave installed.

Masochism ENGAGE!

Then there's also the point of not really knowing if a shield is a bit overperforming or not with all the external factions like commander skills, officers and higher base CR involved. THis campaign should be clarifying.

Now of course, trading performance for more shiny mod content is your call.

I'd say that "You lost me at shiny" but I'm probably going to trim some mod settings to try and prevent factions going whole hog whenever this next imagined campaign starts. I'm genuinely wondering if it's a good idea for me to axe this current campaign and play this ideal one instead to see if everything works and how well it does.

Edit: I'm actually trying the vmparams adjustement now, do I just slap that -Xms2g -Xmx2g in there or is it actually -Xms2096m -Xmx2096m or something like that?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 09:39:57 AM by Arcagnello »

pairedeciseaux

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2020, 11:01:49 AM »

I'd say that "You lost me at shiny" but I'm probably going to trim some mod settings to try and prevent factions going whole hog whenever this next imagined campaign starts.

Sorry if that sentence was confusing, I'm not a native speaker. What I meant is: there is a strong appeal to get more content through mods, and since Starsector modders do such a good job it is often hard to resist (shiny!), but there is a price: (risk of) reduced performance and reduced stability. The trade-off between no-mod-best-performance and tons-of-mods-worse-performance is your decision in the end.

I'm sure you got the message.  ;)

Edit: I'm actually trying the vmparams adjustement now, do I just slap that -Xms2g -Xmx2g in there or is it actually -Xms2096m -Xmx2096m or something like that?

Either 2g or 2048m or 2096m would be fine. 2048m rather than 2096m to use a power of two, but it's probably not important.