Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Massive performance drops when docked on Linux  (Read 2895 times)

StudentRadio

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Massive performance drops when docked on Linux
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2021, 09:42:28 AM »

I've also encountered performance problems in Starsector (0.9.1a-RC8) for Linux (Ubuntu 20.04) with the amdgpu driver.

Setting uiFadeSpeedMult to 1000 has eliminated some transitions that were slow, like switching between the fleet screen and the refit screen, but jumping in and out of hyperspace is still slow.

Not sure if this is related or could help you track down the cause, but I've noticed another performance problem when I open the sector map, disable the starscape, and zoom in or out: the zoom animation consistently happens at about 5 frames per second. I can pan around just fine; only zooming is slow. Zooming the sector map with starscape enabled is fast, and zooming the system map (regardless of the starscape setting) is fast. In battles and on the refit screen, zooming is also fast.

Thanks!

pipai

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Massive performance drops when docked on Linux
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2021, 03:25:29 AM »

I've also encountered this issue. Running Arch Linux, Kernel 5.10.16, Ryzen 5800X, AMD RX480.

Fade UI transitions, zooming without the starscape, and jumping into hyperspace had FPS drop significantly.

It was fixed by installing the proprietary amdgpu-pro-libgl mentioned in OP, and adjusting starsector.sh to have progl before the java command.

Even after the fix however, during saving/loading many objects (like asteroid belts, rings, static in the UI, etc) start flashing or vibrating repeatedly. Doesn't affect gameplay, but something funny is going on there.
Pages: 1 [2]