Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Building YOUR OWN factions market (Mod request)  (Read 1839 times)

Freeasabird

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Building YOUR OWN factions market (Mod request)
« on: October 30, 2020, 04:22:21 AM »

So i founded my own faction and later built a market, and for some stupid reason its an Independent market, where i have to pay tariffs on MY OWN DAMN Planets, this is really stupid. i mean other factions have there own markets, why can't i set up my own? and is there any logical reason why i have to pay tariffs in my own factions market? that doesn't make all that much sense to me. its MY faction free trading should be a bonus of being the leader of a faction. like, the tariff money should be going to ME if anything.

SirHartley

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Building YOUR OWN factions market (Mod request)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 05:55:47 AM »

Imagine you have a company that you own 100% - every asset is yours (money, factories, equipment...)
Imagine you have an old cabinet you want to sell.

Can you sell that cabinet to your own company?
Nope. You would not increase your wealth - just convert money to physicality, since the company can only pay with money that was yours to begin with.

So what do you do? You set up market stalls in your factory hall, and invite independent traders to come and sell their stuff on your impromptu market - which also allows you to sell your old cabinet. But since sales tax is always paid by the end customer, you have to pay taxes to whatever entity that trader is from, resulting in tariffs.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 05:58:04 AM by SirHartley »

Jaghaimo

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 07:10:40 AM »

The tax you paid should end up with you (through monthly report) since you are the government.

Also, since you own 100% of a company, say factory, why do you still have to pay for produce?

I can feel the idea for this mod - ability to claim back tax (tariffs you paid on a market you own) and claim back expenses (costs of taking supplies from your market).

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 09:25:27 AM »

its MY faction free trading should be a bonus of being the leader of a faction. like, the tariff money should be going to ME if anything.
By that logic, the money you make from selling anything to your faction should be deducted from your planet income since that money had to come from somewhere.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 09:27:13 AM by Tartiflette »

Freeasabird

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 09:48:07 AM »

Well, if the tariffs can't be removed, could it be reduced? like 5/10/15% tariff instead of 30, like you should get some kind of boon from owning your own planets.

Jaghaimo

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 10:11:46 AM »

its MY faction free trading should be a bonus of being the leader of a faction. like, the tariff money should be going to ME if anything.
By that logic, the money you make from selling anything to your faction should be deducted from your planet income since that money had to come from somewhere.
It is a question of who is buying or selling and where the transaction occurs (both market and submarket wise). If you purchase or sell items as an independent person (player) then you obviously pay for cargo and has to pay taxes (current game behaviour).

If you are purchasing as the owner of the market, you should not be paying tariffs (current behaviour) nor for cargo (not current behaviour) when drawing from your resources. You already do not earn money from donating resources to your market. OP wants this to be symmetric (thus cost refund end of month).

Now if you are dealing with an independent market (Open Market that shows up from building Commerce) then you obviously have to pay for cargo (current behaviour) and will earn money from selling there (also current behaviour). You should not be required to pay tariffs though (you are the government). It seems silly, albeit one will argue fair, to tax the government as it is the gov that collects the taxes (thus my idea of tax refund end of month).
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 10:13:31 AM by Jaghaimo »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 11:02:19 AM »

You could probably consider tariffs on the open market at a player colony as being additional expenses for creating the right business environment that lets the submarket exist in the first place.

Also, since you own 100% of a company, say factory, why do you still have to pay for produce?

The tooltip for the "Resource Stockpiles" submarket actually explains this! Conceptually, these resources aren't just sitting there; if not picked up by you, they would be used by the colony - either to be sold as exports, or to fill demand, and so on. So you're not paying for the resources, but rather to mitigate the impact taking these resources out has on the colony's economy.

Gameplay-wise, in both cases, these are necessary. If selling on your own market is always more profitable, you'd feel forced to run around more than usual just to sell for a bit more at times. And if you could take resources from your colonies for free, you'd feel like you had to keep doing that and selling them to make a profit, or miss out on it.

(One could mod the tariffs out easily, btw - edit player.faction and add "tariffFraction":0, somewhere. The Open Market iirc uses the market's faction for tariffs, not the submarket's. Not 100% sure if this would apply to an existing colony or only to newly founded ones, though.)

Jaghaimo

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 11:04:04 AM »

Gameplay-wise, in both cases, these are necessary. If selling on your own market is always more profitable, you'd feel forced to run around more than usual just to sell for a bit more at times. And if you could take resources from your colonies for free, you'd feel like you had to keep doing that and selling them to make a profit, or miss out on it.

Wouldn't that cause a massive oversupply thus quickly crashing the price?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020, 11:10:01 AM »

Ah - at a guess, the capacity of the core worlds to absorb extra stuff sold by the player would easily outpace the capacity of a colony to produce it.

(Edit: IIRC it takes something like 2-3 months for the "impact of stuff manually sold by the player" to go away. So it's not something you can really oversupply in the long term, and certainly not for the entire Sector.)