Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Java(TM) Platform SE binary crash  (Read 1149 times)

ForFunAndProfit

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Java(TM) Platform SE binary crash
« on: October 21, 2020, 08:03:25 PM »

I modded my game for the first time at the start of the month and it worked just fine for about a week then suddenly whenever I would try and start up the game, the loading bar would fill and the window would freeze. When I clicked anywhere on is I would get the "Java(TM) Platform SE binary is not responding" window. I searched the forum for a solution, I downloaded the newest Java, I updated my Nvidia drivers, deleted any mod files and redownloaded the game a bunch of times. I even tried just changing the resolution because that fixed this problem for someone else but I haven't been able to get it working. I'm really not that tech savvy, so any help is really appreciated. Also, I'm running it on Windows 10, if that helps.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Java(TM) Platform SE binary crash
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 08:30:50 PM »

Hi - sorry about the trouble! So, just to confirm: have you tried manually deleting all the game files (after saving off any screenshots or saves you care about), and then reinstalling? Manually deleting them would just help make absolutely sure this isn't some sort of gamefile corruption issue.

If you've done that, a couple of things to try:
Running the game as administrator (right click on icon, run as administrator)
Running the game incompatibility mode for windows 95 (right click on icon, click properties, go to compatibility tab, the option is there)

Also: have you installed any software recently, or is something now running that wasn't running before? What you're describing could be due to something else that's running interfering with the game. For example, an anti-virus, MSI Afterburner, any kind of video-related software, or even potentially something running in the browser.

All of these are long shots, but *something* on your PC had to have changed for it to go from "working" to "not working". Another possibility is that the graphics drivers autoupdated between then and now, and the new ones have an issue. You did say you updated them, but - potentially, depending on whether the new drivers are the culprit - the solution might be downgrading to the previous version.

ForFunAndProfit

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 08:38:34 PM »

Thanks so much for the speedy reply. I ran it in compatibility mode for windows 95 and that seems to have fixed it. I don't think I downloaded anything before it stopped working, but I might just be forgetting something. If something goes wrong again I'll try rolling back the drivers, but until then thank you!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 08:41:16 PM »

Ok, nice! Really happy that did it for you.