Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FPS issues, low performance  (Read 5764 times)

kurtwulfgang

• Ensign
    • View Profile
FPS issues, low performance
« on: October 21, 2020, 07:50:06 PM »

I'm having low fps in game, around 15-25 fps in big battles.

What I've tried so far: Power settings are at max, both starsector.exe and \jre\bin java file is set to run on nvidia graphics, all drivers are updated.

The game doesn't utilize the graphics card properly,  gpu usage jumps back between 35-15% constantly. Tried everything I can think of.

Specs are i7 10750h, rxt2060, game's installed in ssd, laptop.

Any ideas?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: FPS issues, low performance
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 07:53:13 PM »

Hmm - is this with mods, or vanilla?

Edit: also, could you elaborate a bit on what you mean by "big battles"?

kurtwulfgang

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 08:26:06 PM »

Hmm - is this with mods, or vanilla?

Edit: also, could you elaborate a bit on what you mean by "big battles"?

Its with mods, which are nexerelin, archaon order, the 3 libs. Reason I didn't post this on the mod support section is that I dont really think the mods are causing this.... or are they?

As for the definition of big battle ( I agree its kind of vague), im using the benchmark battle (from nexerelin i suppose?), in 400 battle size battles. Small battles are also fixed at 60 fps, is there a way to increase the fps cap?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 08:27:43 PM by kurtwulfgang »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 08:38:01 PM »

Ok, thank you for clarifying!

First thing I'd suggest is going into the GraphicsLib config file (it has one in the mod folder) and turning it off via the setting found there - I think it's the first one. That'll let you keep it enabled in the launcher for compatibility with other mods, but reduce its performance impact to zero.

(Edit: if you open up data/config/settings.json there's an "fps" setting there. Edit #2: I'd be careful with that, just in general - if you set it to a high value, that'll strain your graphics card a lot more - since it'll be doing more work pushing out more frames - and it'll likely make your computer heat up significantly more, and wear it out sooner.)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 08:40:40 PM by Alex »

kurtwulfgang

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 09:02:40 PM »

FPS cap worked, thanks for that, and thanks for the advice.

I turned everything off in the graphicsLib, its still the same. One thing I've noticed is that while playing the game, both the onboard and nvidia gpu is being used. onboard GPU goes over 80%, and the ingame dle percentage counter reports the onboard gpu idle percentage, not the nvidia gpu idle percentage. Even after all the settings, the game might still be using the onboard. I double checked the nvidia control panel and yes, both exe files are set to run on nvidia.

One ultimate workaround I can do is transfer the desktop display, which is on the onboard gpu, on the nvidia gpu, then disable the onboard gpu through device manager and try the game again, but its a rather long and bothersome way to do it, i'll keep it as a last resort.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 09:06:22 PM »

Hmm, yeah, if the onboard gpu is showing that much utilization, then it's probably indeed being used. Unfortunately, I don't have anything specific to suggest here as far as making the game use it, since you're already making both .exes run on it.

(I wouldn't expect the idle percentage to be the same, btw, since the game's idle is (100 - time to render - time to advance engine), btw. But it wouldn't be an exact kind of math, anyway, so as long as it's reasonably close, it's a good indicator...)

Zoro89

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 07:05:07 AM »

Right click on the desktop and open the nvidia control panel.

In this panel you can manage which gpu should be active for program xyz.

Look in this screenshot I found in google:
https://cdn.hawkridgesys.com/wp-content/uploads/Manage-3D-Settings.png

For starsector it should be something with java.exe in the starsector folder (not c:/program files/java or something else).

xXspeedfistXxD

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2021, 10:05:44 AM »

Ok, thank you for clarifying!

First thing I'd suggest is going into the GraphicsLib config file (it has one in the mod folder) and turning it off via the setting found there - I think it's the first one. That'll let you keep it enabled in the launcher for compatibility with other mods, but reduce its performance impact to zero.

(Edit: if you open up data/config/settings.json there's an "fps" setting there. Edit #2: I'd be careful with that, just in general - if you set it to a high value, that'll strain your graphics card a lot more - since it'll be doing more work pushing out more frames - and it'll likely make your computer heat up significantly more, and wear it out sooner.)

where is this "fps" setting your talking about and is this fps setting in the graphics lib options or in a game folder somewhere (edit i think i found the setting it was in \Starsector\starsector-core\data\config )
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 10:10:12 AM by xXspeedfistXxD »