Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 146

Author Topic: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 595972 times)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #2010 on: June 06, 2021, 04:05:19 PM »

Not sure if this is still a thing being looked at, but I just got a water world in Duzahk which I thought wasn't supposed to happen. Seed is MN-4958611206903144980, only mod is Detailed Combat Results.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: June 06, 2021, 04:22:58 PM »

This world is a moon, right? IIRC that's still an issue - proper worlds won't be habitable, but moons still can be.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: June 06, 2021, 04:29:42 PM »

Yup, that it is.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: June 06, 2021, 05:47:45 PM »

I'm on the phone right now, but I've got something in the works which includes some 19 Vanilla Remnant Ship Variants without Integrated Hullmods that have been working very well for me in my first 0.95 campaign.

I'll make sure to pass a cut down, shorter to read version of it over to this thread too. I've made opportune modifications to the designs in order for them to all:
-equip the right weapon size on all mounts
-fill every weapon mount
-not use anything the Remnants would not use (IE Mining Lasers, Mining Blasters, Mining Pods, Hammer Barrage...)

There are some 7 Radiant Variants (which are all quite different from each other) that still end up beating 120 Fleet Points worth of stuff without integrated Hullmods and just an Alpha Core as officer and Coordinated Manouvers, Flux Regulation and Electronic Warfare as Commander Skills (same ones the Remnants have).

All of these Variants work quite nicely with the Default Weapon Groups and firing modes the game likes to give them, altough some of them benefit from custom grouping and firing modes more than others.

The 4 Brilliant and 7 Radiant Variants are all individually designed to counter a specific set of enemies, but there are some of those setups that are significantly better than the others in most aspects.
You could say the additional "Cool" variants not only add "Flavour" but also significantly dilute the "There is no flavour here, say hi to Ludd for me when you meet him" ones among them to an acceptable degree  :P
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 06:15:55 PM by Arcagnello »
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: June 06, 2021, 06:21:11 PM »

My 2 cents on improved variant packs: just don't do linked missile tricks, its too mean. Good variants with default weapon groups are a good challenge for players without just exploding the first ship that comes into contact. (And realistically if the enemy had those tricks, players would use bait frigates with like 7 D mods and reinforced bulkheads and just deploy them to deplete enemy missiles every fight, which is just cheesey.)

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: June 06, 2021, 06:33:37 PM »

My 2 cents on improved variant packs: just don't do linked missile tricks, its too mean. Good variants with default weapon groups are a good challenge for players without just exploding the first ship that comes into contact. (And realistically if the enemy had those tricks, players would use bait frigates with like 7 D mods and reinforced bulkheads and just deploy them to deplete enemy missiles every fight, which is just cheesey.)

Oh, It's definetly a lot nastier than just putting the same missile weapons in the same weapon group and having them fire in Linked mode.
I was fiddling like a child in a candy shop while finding ways to murderize an Overridden Fulgent further when I tried giving it Antimatter blasters and Sabot pods (in all the weapons that could take either and still fire at the front without turning the ship).
Turns out that the AI behaves very nicely with all Antimatter blasters togheder with Sabots all in the same weapon group and on Linked mode, so well I ultimately decided it would be too mean (even for me) to propose it  :P
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: June 06, 2021, 06:48:50 PM »

: Shivers in fear :

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: June 07, 2021, 12:19:18 AM »

I'd prefer Remnants to be strong because they use proper loadouts with moderate pure stat buffs (Radiant being what it is, number of cores, etc) rather than overcompensating ridiculously bad loadouts with equally ridiculous buffs.

AdmiralRem

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: June 15, 2021, 12:48:12 PM »

So after a good number of hours and a few start overs, I have to say I'm not loving the new skill system. So it certainly doesn't seem worse. It just feels like a lateral movement. There is less overall progression, I feel limited by it and I really don't like that there are skill I have to get that I don't want just to get to the next one I actually DO want. I like that we can remap the skills but some are permanent and therefore you're stuck with an entire skill branch that may no longer be needed. Are there less skills over all now too? I didn't find the old system confusing at all, I thought I had read that was one reason for the revamp?

Anyways, just some feedback, I don't hate it but I don't love it.

Oh the D-mod removal skill is fantastic and maybe OP in my opinion which how much $ you save just... existing. As much as I love it, it maybe should be elite?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: June 15, 2021, 02:55:21 PM »

Oh the D-mod removal skill is fantastic and maybe OP in my opinion which how much $ you save just... existing. As much as I love it, it maybe should be elite?
Making everything good Elite means respec hurts more, making the story point cost more than one.  I rather have Elite stuff minimized so that respec stays relatively cheap.

Making respec expensive defeats the point of it.  At least permanent skills will not be next release.

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: June 15, 2021, 04:42:00 PM »

Making everything good Elite means respec hurts more, making the story point cost more than one.  I rather have Elite stuff minimized so that respec stays relatively cheap.
I halfway agree with you. I'd like to see the Elite tag on the skill say even if you respec out of it. That way, you can have strong Elite effects that you voluntarily disable if you respec out of it. Then, if you change your mind later, you can respec back to the Elite-tagged skill. Basically, you bleed out Story Points for being indecisive.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: June 15, 2021, 04:57:15 PM »

I don’t know if it’s proper to ask here, but is there plan to extend contact related content?

For example, spend contact rep instead of faction rep to avert expedition. It’s currently a never pick because beating expeditions result in merely 5 rep loss while averting cost much more.

It’s also (probably) a popular request that you should be able to ask contact for a favor.

Overall I feel there’s a lot of potentials in this.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: June 15, 2021, 05:54:46 PM »

So after a good number of hours and a few start overs, I have to say I'm not loving the new skill system. So it certainly doesn't seem worse. It just feels like a lateral movement. There is less overall progression, I feel limited by it and I really don't like that there are skill I have to get that I don't want just to get to the next one I actually DO want. I like that we can remap the skills but some are permanent and therefore you're stuck with an entire skill branch that may no longer be needed. Are there less skills over all now too? I didn't find the old system confusing at all, I thought I had read that was one reason for the revamp?

Anyways, just some feedback, I don't hate it but I don't love it.

I appreciate the feedback! Well, the good news is I'm doing a fairly extensive update of the skill system - keeping the aspects that I think worked well, and adjusting the rest. I'm pretty excited about it, actually, since I think/hope this'll really make the whole thing click.

I don’t know if it’s proper to ask here, but is there plan to extend contact related content?

For example, spend contact rep instead of faction rep to avert expedition. It’s currently a never pick because beating expeditions result in merely 5 rep loss while averting cost much more.

It’s also (probably) a popular request that you should be able to ask contact for a favor.

Overall I feel there’s a lot of potentials in this.

Yeah, maybe? I have some notes on what I'd like to perhaps expand about the system, at some point - so let's just say I generally agee with your sentiment here, about there being a lot more potential here, but it's nothing I'd call "plans", exactly.

code99

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: June 16, 2021, 02:15:17 AM »

Well, the good news is I'm doing a fairly extensive update of the skill system - keeping the aspects that I think worked well, and adjusting the rest. I'm pretty excited about it, actually, since I think/hope this'll really make the whole thing click.

Oh thank god. That is indeed good news.

I hate the the new skill system. I agree with AdmiralRem, i feel limited by it and i shouldnt have to take a skill i may not want just to reach a skill i do want.

Looking forward to the rework!

TottiTheTurtle

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: June 17, 2021, 03:38:53 AM »

I appreciate the feedback! Well, the good news is I'm doing a fairly extensive update of the skill system - keeping the aspects that I think worked well, and adjusting the rest. I'm pretty excited about it, actually, since I think/hope this'll really make the whole thing click.

Will this reworked/updated skill system be part of 0.95.1 or the next BIG update? My fingers are itching man!
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 146