Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 146

Author Topic: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 595936 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1965 on: May 13, 2021, 09:23:40 AM »

I kind of like Timid AI on my ships.  I would not use it now due to gameplay changes since the 0.7.x releases, but I would have used it for Pilum spam fleets when Pilums were useful before 0.8a.  (I did not build such a fleet because it was too specialized and tedious to replace after novelty wore off.)  I would use Timid on ships with only long-range missiles and civilians (if I deployed them for their hullmods).

Cautious is one I never use, although I can see the use on carriers.

On the other hand, enemy is not allowed Timid for good reason (too hard to kill before PPT timeout), so maybe it should be removed for symmetry's sake.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: May 13, 2021, 10:39:45 AM »

Just wanted to say, thank you for your feedback! I appreciate the thought you've put into the revised skill arrangement. I'm not sure I entirely agree with your reasoning and approach, but still, some thoughts definitely worth looking at :)

(I've got some fairly extensive things in mind for skills, anyway - keeping the things that I think work well/are good, and adjusting things that don't.)

Question: why Heavy Ballistics Integration buff for Onslaught? It wasn't underpowered in 0.9.1. Legion could have used it much more, though that would get weird with the Legion (XIV) having missiles instead.

Because it can't point all of its large ballistic slots in the same direction. HBI makes putting large ballistics in these slots more viable. For a ship like the Legion, I don't think HBI makes much sense - if you want to buff the ship, you would probably just give it more OP. (I suppose there could be some highly specific case where you really want to encourage the use of large ballistics on a ship while keeping its other options more constrained but that seems... well, I'm not sure why/how a case like that would come up.)

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: May 13, 2021, 11:47:29 AM »

For what it's worth, I think having skills in the same tier being good in the same build is a good thing. It makes for an actual decision, where having mutually exclusive skills makes the choices a lot easier (and thus less interesting). I also think specifically for combat skills, it feels pretty bad to be heavily restricted in your flagship because of your skill choices. I'd like to see those skills be a bit more general.

Madskills

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: May 14, 2021, 10:09:20 PM »

In my latest modded playthrough I had no idea which ship I'd end up using and I kept switching them the entire game. And obviously the current flagship skill tree design is really opposed to that idea because I have to very deliberately choose a path for my flagship. So I ended up spending the entire 10 points into flagship tree to get all 10 skills so that I'd be able to fly any ship I want (even though at a time I only use ~70% of those skills). By far the biggest offenders are the phase skill, the shield skill, the missile skill and the carrier skill.

Still, the 10 point investment was well worth it because I no longer had to worry which modded ship to fly as I could fly any ship I wanted to try.

Sinigr

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: May 15, 2021, 07:25:58 AM »

Alex, we have Derelict Contingent.

More specifically:
15% chance per d-mod to have incoming hull damage reduced by 90%
+5% minimum armor for damage reduction per d-mod for unshielded ships.

Now, just take a look: https://youtu.be/IXy8t-FhwF4

Are you shure, Alex, that it is OK? :D
"officerMaxLevel":29,
"officerAIMax":36,
"maxOfficersInAIFleet":36
"tier1StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier2StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier3StationOfficerLevel":29,
Try to hunt it! ;)
https://i.imgur.com/gXIAgGy.png

some guy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: May 15, 2021, 08:37:26 AM »

Recently registered a forum account, gotta say this update is a bit of a mixed bag well lets start with the good.

. The raiding system change (for THIS patch), gotta say like it a lot no more goose steping over 9000 times over the span of a rl year just to get some blueprints, doomstack, turn the weapons area into a dance hall, profit

. The built in hull system is nice, can't wait to figure out how to tweak it as I spy fun time's...question if automated ship was somehow added to say a mudskipper in this case would we be able to add a core to it?

. Automated ships...it's nice that the player can now get them without editing ships.data but the limit seems a bit harsh maybe have it be dependent on non automated fleet point's or whatever their called again sorry for me it's late and I'm running on coffee and sugar.

.The contacts system nice to have some additional revenue and maybe a mission or two you like being somewhat reliably available

.Some of the story point stuff is cool and all but... well see below

now for the things I think are a negative,

. Story point. neat concept but in their current form seem slightly shoehorned in.

. The skill system change...oh boy, honestly it feels like some skill's were butchered to give story points weight...even though I know a lot were merged, and it seems most skills were hit with the nerf stick a bit too much in an effort to make large fleets unattractive but that's just how I'm seeing things, also the mutual exclusivity of certain skills (at least untill loop around) made me look for a mod to disable that

. Scavenging only works once now... gotta say this is a stinker, given how hard it is to find some items it used to take me a few tries to get them i liked the diminishing returns system better

. the changes made to sychron core and nanoforge, given how hard they were to find, the change to scavenging, plus the added pollution (to nanoforge) and condition requirement (to synchron core) makes them golden turds (and disincentivize installing mods that add to the loot pool).

.the bribe option for inspections requiring a storypoint to do... idk makes glassing or razzing the hegemony into oblivion at the first opportunity seem REALLY appealing in comparison, that seems kinda bad... i've not had the event yet but i'd rather use the story point to pay a less ridiculous bribe or if ones not available pay a LOT of money.

Sorry if any of this seems harsh i was trying to give as honest feedback as i could. also how do i get godiva into the game or find fresh bread planets of steamy goodness (by the way this is joke question nice cat though)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: May 15, 2021, 09:09:59 AM »

. the changes made to sychron core and nanoforge, given how hard they were to find, the change to scavenging, plus the added pollution (to nanoforge) and condition requirement (to synchron core) makes them golden turds (and disincentivize installing mods that add to the loot pool).

.the bribe option for inspections requiring a storypoint to do... idk makes glassing or razzing the hegemony into oblivion at the first opportunity seem REALLY appealing in comparison, that seems kinda bad... i've not had the event yet but i'd rather use the story point to pay a less ridiculous bribe or if ones not available pay a LOT of money.
Player NEEDS synchrotron and a nanoforge to meet demand for Military Base (and High Command) if he wants to meet demand in-faction, even if they are too picky for location criteria.

If I plan to abuse cores, wiping Hegemony off the map for peace of mind would be a priority for me.

DJ Die

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: May 16, 2021, 03:21:32 AM »

Now, the question is, how do you remove the pollution effect from the nanoforge? Which file is it? Thanks.

Sinigr

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: May 16, 2021, 10:36:24 AM »

Now, the question is, how do you remove the pollution effect from the nanoforge? Which file is it? Thanks.
Just put it on uhabitable world.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"officerMaxLevel":29,
"officerAIMax":36,
"maxOfficersInAIFleet":36
"tier1StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier2StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier3StationOfficerLevel":29,
Try to hunt it! ;)
https://i.imgur.com/gXIAgGy.png

WeiTuLo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: May 16, 2021, 12:46:54 PM »

Make a backup of your save file, then edit it off your planet if you like. As long as you don't uninstall then reinstall it, the pollution will not return.

DJ Die

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: May 16, 2021, 02:35:58 PM »

Just put it on uhabitable world.
Yeah, already have my main industrial colony on a habitable planet....

WeiTuLo: Now, that sounds great, thanks.

sprayer2708

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: May 18, 2021, 12:40:33 AM »

Now, just take a look: [snip]

What mod makes the explosions so pretty?

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: May 18, 2021, 02:52:48 AM »

Now, just take a look: [snip]

What mod makes the explosions so pretty?

That would be GraphicsLib.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: May 20, 2021, 12:55:00 PM »

Slowly but surely I'm working my way through this update though there is a lot to explore yet.

One thing that is very noticeably different to me from testing, however, is phase AI. It has vastly improved from the last update! Nice work Alex! Even 1v1 phase battles aren't nearly as long AI vs AI and that is really saying something. (I've heard the player can do some serious damage with them as well, heh.) Last update, it would be more accurate to describe 1v1 as a stand off until CR drain rather than a battle. No more!

I don't know if the changes were small or large in nature, but they've really made a difference from what I can see.
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 146