Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 146

Author Topic: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 600240 times)

Anvel

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1875 on: April 24, 2021, 04:00:27 PM »

Impact Mitigation has lost the -50% kinetic damage to armor bonus. Advanced Countermeasures is now 1/3 dead!

Now let's go 2/3 by removing the HE damage reduction to shields from Shield Modulation. Either bring back shield upkeep reduction as the elite bonus, or move the hard flux dissipation to it.
Agreed about removing HE dr bonus and giving a bonus to shields rise/move speeds instead.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #1876 on: April 24, 2021, 05:37:58 PM »

is it safe to just copy paste my init file onto the the new downloads? Kinda getting tired of manually redo'ing my init file every time.
For the longer term, it can be easier to make your own mod that contains the settings overrides you want (works with config files of other mods too).

Euripides

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: April 25, 2021, 10:29:56 AM »

I just want to give feedback on AI in the latest release candidate:

It's significantly improved aggression-wise from the initial release. Currently my only serious problem with the AI now is that it massively over-values enemy fighters to the point that my frigates will actually break contact with enemy ships to go off and chase fighters around the map (!)

In fact, I just finished a battle where 3 of my frigates followed and surrounded a lone enemy fighter, treating it as if it were a frigate, destroyer, cruiser, etc. itself while the enemy still had some 8 or so ships in play

The AI seems to be putting far too much importance on strikecraft. Fighters can be dangerous but they do not warrant my frigates breaking off contact with actual ships to go and chase down. Meanwhile I am finding that when a frigate is being overwhelmed by fighters, it likewise won't do the appropriate thing and disengage - this is when a frigate actually needs to care about fighters. Not when a fighter is off by itself doing nothing, but when there is a swarm on the frigate and its at 80% flux or worse and needs to back out of the current engagement or die.

I haven't seen yet if my capital ships treat fighters the same way, since I usually run very light fleets, but I certainly hope not.

There needs to be a better estimate of the capabilities of a lone fighter and a swarm of fighters. Right now I feel like strikecraft swarms are undervalued in how dangerous they are and lone fighters overvalued. A few mods have strikecraft that are actually individually dangerous so there should probably be more taken into account than simply numbers in proximity, but at the very least a basic check in the vein of "Am I being surrounded by fighters? Yes. Ok I should back off and deal with them/move to friendly point defense/help" would be nice.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: April 25, 2021, 10:57:22 AM »

...You know, now that you mention that, I've seen that too.

It is, arguably, correct behavior in one case: when fighting against [super-redacted], you do need to hunt down each individual fighter.

But I've also seen a frigate (with an eliminate order no less!) dance uselessly around an enemy while trying to kill the target's drone, most of its shots going wide because it simply refused to focus on the thing that was spawning that drone. Admittedly, said target was a mod-added ship, so in vanilla you're less likely to see just a chain-respawned high-durability drone... but the targeting was still off; it shouldn't have been focusing on that in the first place, nevermind going cat-after-laser-pointer hard enough to kill the drone three or four times before getting around to finishing off the last sliver of health that the actual target had.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Timid

• Admiral
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: April 25, 2021, 11:44:56 AM »

May we have something in the .faction file like for officerSkills similar to how commanderSkills work? It's weird to see officers that are available to hire having phase mastery, when the faction itself never has access to phase ships.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: April 25, 2021, 11:56:51 AM »

Hmm; made a note re: fighters, thank you! Is there an easy-to-reproduce case of frigates over-targeting them when it's *not* a case of the target having drones?

May we have something in the .faction file like for officerSkills similar to how commanderSkills work? It's weird to see officers that are available to hire having phase mastery, when the faction itself never has access to phase ships.

Maybe? I'm not sure Phase Mastery itself will stick around as a phase-exclusive skill; so, we'll see!

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: April 25, 2021, 12:21:38 PM »

Hmm; made a note re: fighters, thank you! Is there an easy-to-reproduce case of frigates over-targeting them when it's *not* a case of the target having drones?

Maybe? I'm not sure Phase Mastery itself will stick around as a phase-exclusive skill; so, we'll see!

Someone must have went over Youtube and watched some "mad skills" videos of Phase vessels just humiliating everything in general with the new combos  ;D

There's this one video of a Harbinger dealing with the story content in a way that made me enthusiastically laugh out loud while on public transport that you ought to see if you have not already from another thread I posted this in. Spoilers ahead ofc
Spoiler
[close]

And even then, mad skills aside, there are very few things that can actually deal with either one Officered Doom or a pair of AM blaster/Ion Pulser Harbingers with both phase mastery AND systems expertise. A Harbinger just chain-disrupting a single target 4 times in a row with 50% more range has got to be the most annoying thing that can happen to you in Starsector right now  :P

Edit: Oh, OH! I did not even mention the fact you can spam Overridden Phase frigades with officers and Wolfpack Tactics, successfully combining incredibly potent officer skills, massively boosted peak performance times and damage PLUS safety overrides (which makes both phase frigades go at over 700 real time speed if I did the math correctly, with Elite Phase Mastery).

I think you should still be able to both install safety overrides and Antimatter Blasters on both Afflictor and the..uh, the other one that not many people use because the Afflictor exists. The only issue these to little devil's have is that the AI really likes faceplanting itself into the enemy hull or shield with them, then again Wolfpack Tactics prevents the loss of the ships aswell.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 12:30:42 PM by Arcagnello »
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: April 25, 2021, 12:55:14 PM »

The installer keeps locking up at overwriting LICENSE.txt.  Tried two downloads; I'll delete the directory and try again.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: April 25, 2021, 12:56:08 PM »

Yep, sometimes it does that. No idea why, Just Windows Things I think. Deleting the folder will do the trick for sure.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: April 25, 2021, 01:10:17 PM »

Still trying to figure that out, but yeah, just tried an older installer, same issue.  Probably my "fault" for installing something into the Desktop path; this is probably some "fix" for ransomware, lol.
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: April 25, 2021, 01:18:58 PM »

Aha!  It is, indeed, an anti-ransomware feature.  Win10 Defender has a setting you can disable, but in my case, turning off Avast's shields sufficed. All good.
Xeno's Mod Pack

michail

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: April 25, 2021, 02:04:18 PM »

(not sure if bug, sure is odd) Stumbled upon a nascent gravity well about a lightyear away from the nearest star system (Yma, I think? I'm terrible at remembering names). Didn't try to jump into it on the off-chance that it might actually throw me so far away from system's center that I'll have to waste a couple weeks getting out.

Spoiler
[close]

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: April 25, 2021, 02:13:44 PM »

(not sure if bug, sure is odd) Stumbled upon a nascent gravity well about a lightyear away from the nearest star system (Yma, I think? I'm terrible at remembering names). Didn't try to jump into it on the off-chance that it might actually throw me so far away from system's center that I'll have to waste a couple weeks getting out.
That gravity well being there is not a bug, for the record.
Spoiler
Short version: It's part of the main story quests. I think you can go there early without breaking anything in the most recent RC, but don't quote me on that.
[close]

michail

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: April 25, 2021, 11:53:36 PM »

That gravity well being there is not a bug, for the record.
Spoiler
Short version: It's part of the main story quests. I think you can go there early without breaking anything in the most recent RC, but don't quote me on that.
[close]

Ah, I see. Thank you. Re spoiler: this is cool, I love when games let you do something like this.

Inhilicon

• Lieutenant
  • I like when the ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: April 26, 2021, 06:36:48 AM »

There is energy spec and missile spec but no ballistic spec.
I smell a racial discrimination here.
t. Chaingun hobbyist

Yeah, what the heck? Chalk me up as an ally of the Ballistic Specialization skill proposition! That said, Ranged Specialization and Gunnery Implants are boosts to both energy and ballistic.

If I had to replace a skill to make room for a Ballistic Specialization, I would pick Phase Mastery or Strike Commander. Or maybe it could be in Industry somewhere.
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 146