Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 146

Author Topic: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 595825 times)

Fenrir

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1620 on: April 10, 2021, 07:41:28 PM »

Spoiler
a few buggy things noticed
-achieving 10 transplutonics production for hypershunt tap seems impossible as max output is 5+1+1+2 while using a core to reduce consumption dose not activate its effect. Similar situation happen on orbital fusion lamp as core reduces consumption but the hazard rate still get 5% penalty labeled volatiles shortage.
[close]

I take that it is 5 from regular production, plus 1 from admin, plus 1 from core, plus 2 from equipment for a total of 9. The last transplutonic can be produced by making improvements with story points. Should be the same with Volatiles although I haven't found an item for those.

An other solution would be to mod the settings file and allow the player colonies to grow larger and thus produce more stuff.
Nagh, sorry I didn't make it clear when I said OFL I mean the reduction made by core raise hazard penalty, achieving 10 volatiles is fair enough to be done as long as +2 condition and plasma_dynamo are applied together on a gas giant.

By further experiments (via console), 10 transplutonics  is impossible, the 5 in my previous reply has actually involved admin but I didn't notice as it didn't show up in details on industry, so it's in fact 4(size 6 base production) +1(admin skill) +1(alpha_core) +2(catalytic_core) +1(story point improvement)=9
*cough* try tossing the PK into a black hole *cough*

Awe

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: April 10, 2021, 10:11:48 PM »

I noticed that Astrals tend to activate recall device as soon as first wave of bomber drops bomb.
This is very problematic when using long bow + cobra: Astrals AWLAYS recall cobra before they use their reapers.
#
easy fix: dont mix bombers

which you shouldnt do anyways because of the way wings work

One type damage bombers countered by AI pretty efficient. AI drop shield before Longbows to take kinetic damage on armor or just shield deflect HE bombers like Cobra.

@Sutopia Tridents+Longbows combo should work for Astral.

Btw, imho, with nerf to recall device Astral should cost now 40 DP, not 50.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 10:16:32 PM by Awe »

Fenrir

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: April 10, 2021, 11:02:45 PM »

Spoiler
I noticed that Astrals tend to activate recall device as soon as first wave of bomber drops bomb.
This is very problematic when using long bow + cobra: Astrals AWLAYS recall cobra before they use their reapers.
[close]
#
easy fix: dont mix bombers

which you shouldnt do anyways because of the way wings work

One type damage bombers countered by AI pretty efficient. AI drop shield before Longbows to take kinetic damage on armor or just shield deflect HE bombers like Cobra.

@Sutopia Tridents+Longbows combo should work for Astral.

Btw, imho, with nerf to recall device Astral should cost now 40 DP, not 50.
40‘s too less, 45 I say. Also that one type bomber like Longbow, Dagger and Flash do well on themselves. Longbow's sabot may be countered via lowering shield and use armor but then its EMP damage well take effect and cause problems, especially on ships having main output weapon at front of hull

Awe

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: April 11, 2021, 02:35:20 AM »

40‘s too less, 45 I say. Also that one type bomber like Longbow, Dagger and Flash do well on themselves. Longbow's sabot may be countered via lowering shield and use armor but then its EMP damage well take effect and cause problems, especially on ships having main output weapon at front of hull

Combo damage is much better. Incoming Atropos torps from Tridents force AI to keep shield active, so Sabots from Longbows usually hit shields and cause crapton of hard-flux or even overload, so following Atroposes easily hit hull. 3 Longbows/3 Tridents is best practice as for me.

Not sure about deployment cost. 45 was before - with more OP and without cooldown on recall device. Now you need to spend more DP, most likely need to sacrifice more non-vital weapontry/mods or built-in 2-3 mods to fit at least something defensive after bombers. -_- Imho nerfed too hard.

Soban

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: April 11, 2021, 02:56:45 AM »

• Randomly generated planets in the core (including Duzahk and Penelope's Star) should no longer be habitable

Sector age: Mixed
Sector size: Large
Seed: MN-6927480176648782356

Screenshot of a habitable planet in Penelope's Star: https://i.imgur.com/vmviGXW.png

This does not seem like that big of an issue though. If its about money printing, I settled Duzakh and began selling supplies etc en masse to lots of different planets/stations. Rolling in the money.

Would it be possible for more items to be added for colony management? Some sort of an athmosphere scrubber or weather control system to combat different athmosphere effects. Ditto for pollution.

As for decivilized populace. I noticed that that once settling a planet, it changes to decivilized subpopulation with altered stats. Is this something that might eventually end, say when X amount of years has passed on a planet after colonizing so you no longer have the penalties? Having absorbed the populace into your colony.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 07:16:51 AM by Soban »

shoi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: April 11, 2021, 05:40:01 AM »

Ithaca isn't random-gen. The description hints at that.

Soban

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: April 11, 2021, 07:15:55 AM »

Ithaca isn't random-gen. The description hints at that.

Wasn't sure about that so decided to mention it still. I figured it has a description but the wiki only said that it has random variables generated for it. I assumed it might be habitable, or something near it. But trusted that I would be corrected on it, if it was always habitable.

Rain

• Ensign
  • Burn bright!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: April 11, 2021, 09:35:00 AM »

More assorted feedback (on my 3rd character now in this 095) on this-or-that; sorry for not digging through the forum to find separate threads, this is "off the top of my head" stuff :(

First block spoilered 'cause it all touches on minor story element/secret things. Hopefully all sorted in some kind of coherent order.

Spoiler
- Weird/bug/I don't know?: This MAY be a mod thing 'cause I only got it this last game (Unknown Skies, *possibly*?), in which case nevermind, but just in case it's a base game thing; I had gates spawn inside event horizon in a black hole and inside a giant star. Seems like a bad time, though I guess that's not necessarily inexplicable as such. On a similar note, gates in neutron star systems are kind of annoying but when it's just the occasional one, I guess it's not inexplicable weirdness? I used the black holed gate I got for the Janus test last game because it's pretty much a trap gate now anyway. :P
- Gate bug: even coming back after doing the scan quest and the local disrupting fleets disappear, interacting with the gate makes it say something's disrupting the scan (but there's nothing so the gate is forever dead).
- Minor issue: Gate travel could do with a transponder warning if your target is such a system; it's kind of minor but I've forgotten a couple of times now that I'm spoiled with jump points giving warning.
- Minor issue: Had a mission for Sebastyen to do "recover drone package"-style mission in a neutron star, got Scavengers-took-it, I think the scavs got blown out to the edge 'cause I had to come back way later to get them at the jump point proper. Maybe this kind of mission could use a failsafe against neutron stars 'cause the AI can't handle it yet? Potentially a confusing thing for new players that'd look like an outright bug when the fleet isn't at the "nearest jump point" as the text says.
- Cute thing/thought I had: doing dead drop missions by going through a gate or two could have some acknowledgement by reducing the chance you're followed/intercepted at all or something. You're the only one that can, right? Maybe that might adjust where the "Hey give me the thing/drop location" goons lurk?
- Spoiler giggles: Finally had a first run-in with tesseracts at a shunt and WHAT ARE THOSE THINGS HOLY JESUS. Some really alien/exotic-feeling weapons going on there compared to the normal stuff in the game, I like it. :D
[close]

- New skill system feedback: (Some of this may concern game balance things I'm out of touch with, and my feelies for what's right/wrong might be... You know, wrong, so take it with a grain of salt thusly.) I do like that each point feels a lot more valuable, and having each skill be themed package deals is something I've rather wanted from other games so that's welcome. However, so far I've pretty much ended up with the same skills by 15 on all characters I've played, just because there's that much stuff I feel like I have to have to actually function properly (with minor variance depending on if I'm in a carrier or not); T5 with +1 built-ins is just so handy to have. I feel like (and this may tie into the now long elaborated on enemy officer spam thing) I really should have one of the L4 skills to close the officer gaps. Combat without at least C1 maneuverability, then up to C4 or even 5 (when my flagships have been Plasma Burners or a missile ship respectively) gets a lot more unforgiving. T1 I want both to get my campaign move speed and sneakiness proper. The +1 built-in in particular feels THAT big, to the point it maybe needs to go away entirely (and be replaced with something else at the T5), or be a thing you get during the story, or even as a default part somewhere during the levelup process. Some other things might be contenders for "stuff you get during levelups or story as part of a starship captain getting more experienced" in general, too, though I've no particular suggestions there (yet at least), other than the general idea (and the +1 built-ins). That, and "some tuning required" but that's to be expected and I think has been elaborated on aplenty already, both in this thread and elsewhere.
- Ships: I like the new phase tender and transport. Eating into the 'militarized ships' budget is a little rough, but I do so like being a space sneak and them giving a helping hand with that in addition to carrying the necessities, my personal goon squad and a cargo hold full of my favourite chocolate is nice. They get to double as survey ships along with the salvage rigs. A possibly positive side effect of having the fleet budget on the skills is I'm no longer putting militarized subsystems by (almost-)default on my civvie ships, though it could be argued it's more of a punishment mechanic now.
- Ships: I'm going to play more with them to feel it out further still, but so far carriers feel kinda weak now (even with all the applicable fleet skills); though I understand they might've been kind of overpowered in 091, so that sort of contrast is understandable to some extent. This could be a function of the #of hangars on the carrier skills being a *little* tight and some of the previously available skills being gone; the reduced fighter damage taken buffs might be notable there, though that is also the one I'm actually actively noticing isn't there anymore.
- Smuggling: The boarding event is a nice move in the right direction, though it still might be too easy to make lots of money doing smuggling runs if you never really get inspected before you land and load off all the illegal goods. This may also serve to drive the nail in harder on the whole 'personal contact bounties pay too little for the danger' thing that's been mentioned by making black market sales too much more easy and profitable in comparison. As a side note on that I eventually just started doing the random bounties instead of the contact ones because they paid more for less danger (because I like and want to do the combat and I don't really like doing essentially no-risk smuggling runs over and over).

Obviously I'm having a lot of fun with the game though, given that's 3 characters so far and I've plans for yet more, so, overall, nice job. :D

Satirical

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: April 12, 2021, 06:33:41 PM »

Contact reputation decay is too fast

Huh? AFAIK there's no rep decay.
Haven't had a chance to test this in RC11 yet, but I noticed that the story-offered Hegemony contact on Caotl(?) does seem to have an issue where his relationship decays for unknown reasons. I've done at least one bounty mission and bought a surplus Hammerhead from him, but his relationship is currently at 0.

For the record this doesn't seem to be an issue related to losing standing with the contact's faction, as I initially thought - neither my independent or pirates contacts cared about me getting dinged points for getting caught selling to the black market wholesale and doing everything in my power to squeeze every last possible credit out of them no matter how much death and mayhem I caused, respectively.

Yeah, colonies has been nerfed a bit too much, I think, at least the early stages. Unless a planet has 125% or less hazard rating it's pretty much not going to grow without hazard pay, and unless a planet is godlike in terms of it's profitability it's going to be bleeding tens of thousands of credits if it offers hazard pay, to say nothing of the cost of hiring an administrator. It's interesting, and kind of annoying, that it's not the threat of pirates that's keeping me from exploring right now, but the fact that if I don't stick around the core and hunt down every last credit I'm going to go bankrupt.

wtf apparently me and a couple other people are having a bug where the contact reputation resets to zero after speaking with them (or just randomly or it just resets to zero somehow)

Fenrir

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: April 12, 2021, 06:54:48 PM »

Contact reputation decay is too fast

Huh? AFAIK there's no rep decay.
Haven't had a chance to test this in RC11 yet, but I noticed that the story-offered Hegemony contact on Caotl(?) does seem to have an issue where his relationship decays for unknown reasons. I've done at least one bounty mission and bought a surplus Hammerhead from him, but his relationship is currently at 0.

For the record this doesn't seem to be an issue related to losing standing with the contact's faction, as I initially thought - neither my independent or pirates contacts cared about me getting dinged points for getting caught selling to the black market wholesale and doing everything in my power to squeeze every last possible credit out of them no matter how much death and mayhem I caused, respectively.

Yeah, colonies has been nerfed a bit too much, I think, at least the early stages. Unless a planet has 125% or less hazard rating it's pretty much not going to grow without hazard pay, and unless a planet is godlike in terms of it's profitability it's going to be bleeding tens of thousands of credits if it offers hazard pay, to say nothing of the cost of hiring an administrator. It's interesting, and kind of annoying, that it's not the threat of pirates that's keeping me from exploring right now, but the fact that if I don't stick around the core and hunt down every last credit I'm going to go bankrupt.

wtf apparently me and a couple other people are having a bug where the contact reputation resets to zero after speaking with them (or just randomly or it just resets to zero somehow)

Maybe try disable all mods and re-install the whole SS file. I personally didn't notice any rep decay, it may be a random bug but something must have gone wrong for your games. Wish you guys can get yourselves out, good luck.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: April 12, 2021, 07:05:39 PM »

I have noticed the same, but only for Tseen Ke (Spelling probably), the Hegemony contact on Coatle added by the tutorial. My other contacts (and now I've gotten several, the string of bad luck it broken!) are behavior correctly.

shoi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: April 12, 2021, 09:31:45 PM »

I actually saw this too, but wasn't sure if I was just going crazy from lack of sleep or something

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: April 13, 2021, 08:45:29 AM »

Hmm - does anyone happen to have a vanilla save handy where this contact reputation loss issue is easy to see? I've just done a bunch of missions for Tseen Ke and so far am not seeing any problems.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: April 13, 2021, 08:54:26 AM »

If rep decay is not a real thing, then it is possible that the rounding of the rep gain with contacts is producing different results? You know how low it is to begin with.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 08:55:58 AM by SonnaBanana »
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

WeiTuLo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: April 13, 2021, 02:56:52 PM »

I previously completed a mission for Rayan Arroyo, the TriTach Sr. Executive contact that introduces you to Gargoyle. Yet my reputation with him was zero, so maybe something happened there. I made a save point, and completed another mission for him, going to see if it drops back down to zero.
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 146