Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 146

Author Topic: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 595806 times)

Maethendias

• Commander
  • Esteemed Warlord
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1590 on: April 08, 2021, 05:20:41 PM »

Another piece of feedback.
Since we no longer have the OP boosting skill, but instead we have the built-in hull mods some ships became more potent while others somewhat lost their appeal.
One particularly striking example is the Legion. At first glance, you might think that having 260 OP + 3 built-in hull mods is a big step forward. However, the improvement is less game-changing compared to the Onslaught. One reason might be, that the Legion has 4 fighter wings and a similar amount of hardpoints but only 260 OP. So giving 3 built-in hull mods can still leave the Legion to feel OP starved, while giving +26 Op might make the ship less OP starved as a battle carrier, without the hull mods.
It's not a complaint at all, it's just an impression. Legion is a big loser of this update, and other ships might get better or worse, with this new system.

i cant speak for the regular (buu hegemony) legion, battlegroup legion is SO good, and the best flagship in the game imo

2 hyperdrivers, 1 flack in the "nose" slot, 2 hurricanes (slot out one for a locust if fighting high fighter fleets if you are scared of their... "ordinance", 4 xyphons, both missile mods, 2 maulers, whatever other hullmods you want,  and on the small slots with lots of coverage s-mortars is so good for a fleet anchor

obviously dont use it as a "carrier" and more like a "you aint gonna go past me whatever you do" point for your fleet
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 05:24:07 PM by Maethendias »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: April 08, 2021, 05:50:43 PM »

A bit more feedback as I'm on my second playthrough now: I haven't gotten any contacts other than the scripted one from tutorial -> coatl, despite doing missions, so I think the chance might be too low. I'm trying to do lots bar missions to get them, but so far no luck in... maybe 4 hours play on this save, maybe 10 bar contracts done? Probably another 20 or so in the other game. I know others are getting contacts so its probably not a bug.

[Edit] I tell a lie! Right after posting this I got a contact, so its not bugged. Just a bit too rare imo.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 05:57:14 PM by Thaago »

Maethendias

• Commander
  • Esteemed Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: April 08, 2021, 06:00:33 PM »

it kind of IS rare... then again, the "core worlds" are quite the small place if you really look at it

TerranEmpire

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: April 08, 2021, 06:03:14 PM »

i cant speak for the regular (buu hegemony) legion, battlegroup legion is SO good, and the best flagship in the game imo

2 hyperdrivers, 1 flack in the "nose" slot, 2 hurricanes (slot out one for a locust if fighting high fighter fleets if you are scared of their... "ordinance", 4 xyphons, both missile mods, 2 maulers, whatever other hullmods you want,  and on the small slots with lots of coverage s-mortars is so good for a fleet anchor

obviously dont use it as a "carrier" and more like a "you aint gonna go past me whatever you do" point for your fleet

I think for that role the XIV Onslaught is waaaay better. Especially after the buffs.
Stronger armor, hull (basically you can afford to lose the flux war sometimes, you have so much hull and armor) heavy ballistic integration etc...

Maethendias

• Commander
  • Esteemed Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: April 08, 2021, 06:05:49 PM »

I think for that role the XIV Onslaught is waaaay better. Especially after the buffs.
Stronger armor, hull (basically you can afford to lose the flux war sometimes, you have so much hull and armor) heavy ballistic integration etc...

uhm, its still an onslaught

so imma pass on that one

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: April 08, 2021, 08:08:19 PM »

Alex, what are some significant changes for the next build?
Is it finally save incompatible? 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 08:11:15 PM by SonnaBanana »
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: April 08, 2021, 08:10:43 PM »

I've noticed something with the new Converted Fighter Bays hull mod: it can be used on three ships in the base game: the Shepherd, Tempest, and Venture since you can only install it on ships with built-in fighter wings.  To use it on the Tempest would be insane, the Venture meh, and the Shepherd decent.  But, you can only use it on 3 ships - very limited, and even more limited by the fact it's a dock-only modification.  I feel like it's use could be expanded more by allowing it to be installed on any ship with fighter bays (rather than built-in fighters only), remove the dock requirement, and remove the CR penalty to do a space install, but keep the CR penalty for space uninstall.  With those changes I could see slapping this on some of my ships if I'm out exploring and go over the cap, but I gimp my combat capabilities considerably.  Otherwise, case use is ridiculously limited and the hullmod just aught not to exist.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Volfgarix

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: April 08, 2021, 08:11:01 PM »

With that, I want the rare item skill until I do not need more rare items, then respec to the bag of holding skill.

Bulk Transport is nice for 1) absorbing loot bombs (from ruins or big fights) with fewer ships and 2) no need for Militarized Subsystems on civilians for +1 burn alone.

Even if player does not care to trade, he may want room to loot if he plays (tomb) raider.
Ah, right, the whole rare find chance thing pushes the player to maximize it because it's a limited resource.
Now I noticed there is no modifier from skills nor from other things and that's probably the best way, let's keep the chance the same because finding that stuff is difficult enough. I still wonder if Bulk Transport could be improved, because people probably will still prefer Salvaging skill(having to put in Militarized Subsystems isn't much of a problem especially that some might want to aim for SO for better escape speed).

GenericGoose

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: April 09, 2021, 03:29:39 AM »

I remember someone asking about the prison break mission being given targeting your own colony. Just got one myself and... you can't raid your own colony. Your only way to complete it seems to be going to the bar and talking to a guy and spending an SP and half the reward money to get the prisoner. Yeah 27k for 1sp doesn't sound very worth it, not counting the traveling cost

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: April 09, 2021, 07:49:55 AM »

I've noticed something with the new Converted Fighter Bays hull mod: it can be used on three ships in the base game: the Shepherd, Tempest, and Venture since you can only install it on ships with built-in fighter wings.  To use it on the Tempest would be insane, the Venture meh, and the Shepherd decent.  But, you can only use it on 3 ships - very limited, and even more limited by the fact it's a dock-only modification.  I feel like it's use could be expanded more by allowing it to be installed on any ship with fighter bays (rather than built-in fighters only), remove the dock requirement, and remove the CR penalty to do a space install, but keep the CR penalty for space uninstall.  With those changes I could see slapping this on some of my ships if I'm out exploring and go over the cap, but I gimp my combat capabilities considerably.  Otherwise, case use is ridiculously limited and the hullmod just aught not to exist.
It feels like a Shepherd-only mod.  I throw it on all of them for 150 cargo frigate-sized freighter.  I would not use it on Tempest even if I want it because it needs all of the OP it can get for combat stuff.

Awe

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: April 09, 2021, 09:32:00 AM »

I still wonder if Bulk Transport could be improved, because people probably will still prefer Salvaging skill

Always take more capacity over the salvage. Nothing vital in salvage skill, but more capacity mean slightly more slots for combat ships or just a bit easier early game because you need to buy less transports. :)

Awe

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: April 09, 2021, 09:35:17 AM »

@Alex, can you please make Atlas more common at market? I'm played 3 runs and managed to buy Atlas only once, while Prometheuses are pretty common.  :-\

PS Also, question about phase cargo ship - did it work like shielded cargo mod at pirate mule/buffalo?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 09:43:44 AM by Awe »

pairedeciseaux

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: April 09, 2021, 10:00:32 AM »

@Alex, can you please make Atlas more common at market? I'm played 3 runs and managed to buy Atlas only once, while Prometheuses are pretty common.  :-\

Yeah, still playing first campaign and haven't found a single one available without commission. Have used 1 or 2 Colossus. That said, 1 Colossus seams to be enough for my needs now that fleet size is reasonable and I'm not doing delivery missions anymore.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: April 09, 2021, 10:04:02 AM »

Salvage could be more useful if battle loot was more than +20%.

As for prog-gen stuff, it is hard to predict whether they give a little bit or a loot bomb of thousands of the stuff that overloads the fleet.  Absorbing loot bombs was the reason why I took Bulk Transport at first, but now I want Bulk Transport mainly to replace Militarized Subsystems with Surveying Equipment on all of my civilian transports (except Shepherd, for obvious reasons).

jwarper

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: April 09, 2021, 01:43:53 PM »

So the ability to add stable points in the system by interacting with the system's star was put in this release.  What are the limitations on this?  Are you limited to 2 or 3 stable points?  I colonized a system with 2 existing stable points, and it will not allow me to create a third one saying I have too many stable points already. 
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 146