Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 146

Author Topic: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 595952 times)

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1140 on: March 28, 2021, 03:29:55 PM »

All the elite skills seem great and very influential except for Systems Expertise. +30 seconds of PPT is very underwhelming compared to all the other elite effects, but the base skill is so good it might need to be that way.

I like the new wormhole entrance sound.

The skills that boost ships with specific foo with a limitation on the amount of foo are interesting, but the limits seem quite restrictive. If you're building a fleet that's going heavily foo, a lot of the time it seems like you'd be better off taking the general skill instead. This is especially noticable with the phase ship skill; trying it out, I find I could decrease the hard flux generated by phase cloaking by 18% at 51 deployment points worth of phase ships (a doom and 2 afflictors) as well as 106 seconds of PPT and a slight bonus to the sensor profile reduction from phase fields, or just have 18% higher capacity and dissipation for all of my ships at 205 deployment points. This seems like a much harder choice than it should be. If I was only using a couple of phase ships or not using phase ships at all, taking the generalist skill would be a no brainer. I've got a significant amount of DP in phase ships, but nowhere near what it could be; if I wanted to deploy 2 Dooms, I'd 100% be better off taking the generalist skill, even though I wouldn't consider that an excessive amount of phase ships. If I was running a fully phase fleet, which is now possible, I'd definetly take the generalist skill over the skill specifically buffing phase ships. These skills seem undertuned in general.

The first two Leadership skills have some issues. Weapon drills is insignificant past earlygame and Auxilary Support would be okay I guess if I ever wanted to use militarized civvy ships in combat; this feels mostly like a wasted skill point. The choice between Wolfpack Tactics and Coordinated Maneuvers is extremely hard if you want to use officered frigates, and extremely pointless if you don't. I want both of these skills, but someone else might want neither. I'd reccomend swapping Crew Training with Coordinated Maneuvers.

The AI handles phase frigates quite acceptably now. I've seen them do things that resemble my own piloting, which is always impressive. However, I've had Afflictors unphase and move too close to friendly Doom mines and instantly die, so there might be something going wrong there. I think they're moving in to finish off a ship at the same time as I'm placing mines to finish off a ship, and ignoring the mines.

Hostile fleets hanging around preventing you from doing things is very annoying. It's especially annoying when you have a mission to rescue someone from a procgen pirate base, and you have to try to engage the fleet outside of the range of the station so you don't blow up the station and the prisoner along with it. Insigificant fleets shouldn't prevent you from doing things like salvaging and raiding, and lone Drams shouldn't be willing to initiate combat just because they've got a station behind them (something that has happened to me).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 02:48:52 AM by ANGRYABOUTELVES »

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: March 28, 2021, 03:42:34 PM »

Something weird just happened in a fight against a Hegemony merchant fleet where, after defeating their final combat ship, every civilian ship they had immediately retreated from battle. I'm not sure why they were deployed in the first place? It was a battle with strategic points and the enemy captured several of them, so they could have been deployed as reinforcements, but still...why? I didn't see them try to engage, for what it's worth.

Also minor point: That fight would have gained me Atlas #4, but I was out of story points to do a difficult recovery :'(. And immediately afterwards I get another story point from the fight's exp gain. Not sure if calculating player exp and possible story point gains before ship recovery dialogue would be worth the effort, but...::)

and lone Drams shouldn't be willing to initiate combat just because they've got a station behind them (something that has happened to me)
Mine didn't even have a station to hide behind. Just one Dram, one mission, and one extremely impossible dream vaporized by a single Tacyon Lance. Don't know who piloted it, but whoever did is the bravest person the Sector has ever seen.

2_Wycked

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: March 28, 2021, 04:28:54 PM »

Thanks so much for the update! I noticed something with the tutorial that may be a bug, figured I'd mention it just in case. After you recover the derelicts from Tetra and return to the Ancyra station, there's a blurb about some weapons and supplies being moved into storage for you to use to refit the ships, but I'm not seeing them.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: March 28, 2021, 04:29:56 PM »

I will say that as I get farther into the game and up against more powerful enemies: its starting to bug me a little bit how "invisible" the strengths of enemy ships is, because we cannot see their officer skills. Their skills are more important than their weapons or hullmods (as long as the loadout is reasonably sensible). Basic questions like "can my frigate take that one if I give it an eliminate order" or "how much damage does that ship do to my flank" or "do missiles work against that ship" have no answer other than to try and find out. This is especially true for energy frigates/SO ships because of energy weapon mastery: that one skill transforms such ships entirely. The actual weapons such a ship is using are inconsequential compared to whether or not they have the skill, which feels wrong. Maybe I'm just too used to being able to look at a ship/check its loadout and see what it can do.

Thanks so much for the update! I noticed something with the tutorial that may be a bug, figured I'd mention it just in case. After you recover the derelicts from Tetra and return to the Ancyra station, there's a blurb about some weapons and supplies being moved into storage for you to use to refit the ships, but I'm not seeing them.

Hmmm, this worked for me. Are you clicking on the storage button to get to that tab? They are at the station, not transferred directly to the cargo bays.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 04:33:28 PM by Thaago »

Zaizai

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: March 28, 2021, 05:32:39 PM »

https://i.imgur.com/lDUFNlp.png 
This Egemony mercantile convoy has been trying to get inside the jump point for a long time, it just can't thanks to the star's corona, probably not intended

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: March 28, 2021, 06:09:22 PM »

Had some time to play with this and I am still in the early game.  Just acquired a Falcon (from ambushing a trade fleet).  Few highlights in my current game.

Two section pirate bases with 50k bounty is much stronger than equivalent named bounty fleet.  Maybe the stations can be nuked by Afflictor, but a modest fleet of conventional ships that can handle 50k named bounties get wiped out by 50k station bounty.

Raiding pirates bases for supplies then selling them elsewhere that has a shortage is profitable.

Tibicena has stability of 2, thanks to -6 from its Free Port and Commerce.  It seems like it would only take one raid to send it to zero stability and threaten it with decivilization.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: March 28, 2021, 06:26:40 PM »

Aaaaahhhh officers your get through special events can be level 6!!!!

Sorry, just freaked out about that a bit! :D
I just got my first level 7 officer :D
A bit sad because they are cautious though, but they have the ranged specialization + gunnery implants combo, so it's actually not bad

edit:
litterally immediately after, I got offered a second level 7 officer (same fleet of destroyed ships lmao), but the second one is timid, not sure if I should keep it with the increased salary and all... I'm kinda sad
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 06:28:37 PM by intrinsic_parity »

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: March 28, 2021, 07:41:53 PM »

Having Saftey Overrides go from costing like 1/3 of a ship's entire payload to 1 Story Point has sure done some interesting things to loadout design.

Zaizai

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: March 28, 2021, 08:13:08 PM »

https://i.imgur.com/RMoWQAF.png 
Gamebreaking bug, pressing continue prints "Continue" on the screen, without allowing me to continue (lol). Problem is that I saved right before this encounter rotfl

sector_terror

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: March 28, 2021, 08:55:34 PM »

Thank you for improving the rewards for contract missions. I was -just- starting to run through the math of them and realizing almost every bounty I was getting cost 2/3rds of the payout just to get to the bounty, and procurement was only so much better. That isn't even getting into the inevitable losses or the price of buying new ships. thank you for that. Also the not softlocking with the jailbreak missions when given from non-outlaws.

Numbers aside, I am adoring the new update. The contact system is amazing and skills are well balanced and reward specializing to a style of ship, made easier with better way to get these ships then just "hope the market has X." I'm looking forward to try again with better contact rewards

frozentoes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: March 28, 2021, 09:00:31 PM »

Bug report: Infinite skills
Version: 0.95a-RC10

Requirement: Have one full skill aptitude (5 skills) and a story point for respec.

Reproduction: Initiate respec, then start filling alternative skills for your maxed-out tree. Notice how you don't need skill points to buy them?

Now, remove them. You've just been given a refund for those skill points you did NOT spend. If you repeat cleverly, you can get these ghost refunds infinitely until you fill all skill slots.

I -am- running some mods, but it's happening to other people (thank you xTrainx on the unofficial Discord) without my mod package as well.

Imgur album shows various steps in reproduction.

https://imgur.com/a/PbbTWDE

It seems to not be checking for skill points on skill add of 'second pass' through an aptitude during respec, but then refunds them as normal. The special requirements for learning the second layer skills may need a look?

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: March 28, 2021, 11:36:03 PM »

If you get Transverse Jump from the story mission while you already know Transverse Jump from the Navigation skill, then respec to Sensors instead, you lose Transverse Jump even though you should keep it for story reasons.

Dal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: March 29, 2021, 12:29:35 AM »

Re:Helmsmanship
Quote from: Alex
If you don't have the elite helmsmanship perk, it should be the same as before. If you do, then the boost is also active as long as nothing (such as, say, raised shields) is adding flux to the ship.
Since the behavior of flux at high values is to float in the 1-9 range even when your dissipation is greater than your generation*, the 0 bonus doesn't kick in under those circumstances now (a PD weapon firing, shields toggled up but undamaged). This means a pretty substantial mechanical change for larger ships from 0.91. It's not necessarily a bad thing, capitals feel properly slow, but it's incongruous because 1, having to toggle off PD is tedious and 2, because the capital I pilot goes twice as fast as any other in the battle. It'd be nice to have the <0.25% margin from before. That seemed pretty successful at tagging ships in combat from those just traveling.

*Even while paused, I've noticed

In any case, the update is great and I'm having a lot of fun. :D

Dal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: March 29, 2021, 12:37:46 AM »

Unrelated to the above, I changed my monitor since I last played and the flashing effects entering and exiting menus or using a jump point are surprisingly strong, to the point where I've started turning away from my screen regularly. I'm not sure the best method, but it'd be really appreciated if there was a way to tone those down. Still worth it, though. ^^

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: March 29, 2021, 12:45:26 AM »

I will say that as I get farther into the game and up against more powerful enemies: its starting to bug me a little bit how "invisible" the strengths of enemy ships is
I bumped into this a lot earlier than you it seems.
I'm still stuck trying to do mid-tier bounties and constantly bouncing off them because I just can't seem to get enough damage onto a target before it just nopes off into the distance to reset its flux, even despite deploying my entire fleet. Which is absolutely killing my supplies.
(Caveat: I'm not great at combat, and I am fully aware of this.)

Doesn't help I've been apparently quite unlucky by only finding a single officer so far.
Honestly, it really doesn't feel good that officers have been changed from "nice to have" to "you will fail if you don't have". Especially at such an early stage of the game.
This (imo) feels like it would be a far better fit for late game stuff rather than a global mechanic.

I've also noticed that the bounties that are being posted seem to have vastly outpaced my fleet's capabilities fairly quickly.
I'm seeing bounties with multiple capitals regularly despite still being effectively in the "can barely manage cruisers" stage, because of all these invisible boosts.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 146