Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 146

Author Topic: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 595742 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #945 on: March 25, 2021, 10:44:30 AM »

Brilliant. This patch is shaping up to be exactly what the game needs. Well done.

Thank you! <3

I've never mentioned this before but now that you say it this always happens late game. The cargo mission requiring WAY more cargo space then any normal fleet would have or requests for cargo exceeding the totals of 10 planets worth of material.

9-16k fuel request? 10-12k supplies? How many planets am I expected to visit in the tiny timeframe they give for delivery? The planets commodity limits aren't scaling like this. But have fun trying to get 9k fuel in 10 days or w/e.

Mid to late game it gets to the point where you would need a specialized merchant fleet to complete those contracts, a playstyle this game doesn't support and sends players into a rage when you suggest that the game should support it in a thread.

Yeah, the publicly-posted procurement missions were always kind of odd gameplay-wise; for the next release they're just replaced entirely by the various bar missions.

I think I saw on twitter, that we will be able to check stats of the fighter weapons with some new UI
Is this still the case?

Yeah - you can press F1 on the fighter tooltip to cycle through the fighter's weapons.

Alex, any plans to make Combat Freighters still useful in lategame or is that a non-concern?

There is a new skill that may make this reasonable-ish; I'm curious to see how it plays out.

I purchased after .91a became available and really enjoyed my first playthrough. It was a fantastic experience and scratched an itch I've always had that didn't require the latest and greatest technology to do. Reading through the patch notes, I am excited to play through a 2nd time with all of these changes (and with no tutorial pension this time). There are so many changes to look forward to and I'm very interested in how the story point system will change things in terms of character progression. My only real regret in playthrough 1 was not being able to experiment with more skills - so I'm kinda hoping that you could use story points to reset some of your choices if they're no longer working out for the phase of the game you're in. If not, no big deal... I'll just have to play more. From one engineer to another, thanks for everything.

Thank you, I appreciate your kind words!

And, yeah - in the upcoming release, one of the things you can do with story points is refund your skill points. Well, a couple of the skills are "permanent" due to their effects making it awkward to handle a "player had the skill but doesn't anymore" case - but by far most of them are not.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: March 25, 2021, 11:26:00 AM »

And, yeah - in the upcoming release, one of the things you can do with story points is refund your skill points. Well, a couple of the skills are "permanent" due to their effects making it awkward to handle a "player had the skill but doesn't anymore" case - but by far most of them are not.
Isn't that going to be a little awkward (and exploitable) if respecing will leave valuable, high level skills in paths you don't invest anymore? Or perhaps you have to spend enough skill points to fill the gap when you respec?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: March 25, 2021, 11:47:32 AM »

Yeah, if you respec, the requirements for any permanent (or just not-respecced) skills have to be met before you can confirm the respec.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: March 25, 2021, 04:43:31 PM »

I'm pretty ignorant about it all but what causes a release candidate to fail? Why do so many have to be built?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: March 25, 2021, 04:59:29 PM »

So did the Ion Pulser end up getting nerfed? I was looking forward to using the one from the changelog.

Realized I forgot to answer: it's down to 90 damage (well, rather, it's only up by 15 rather than by 25) and it's still very good.

I'm pretty ignorant about it all but what causes a release candidate to fail? Why do so many have to be built?

Basically, the process is - past a certain point - to make and then test a "real" build, that is, with a proper installer/packaging, etc, rather than just testing by running the game out of the dev environment. Running from the dev environment is a lot easier as far as fixing bugs and iterating quickly goes. But, you really need to test the *actual thing that the players will use* because sometimes there are issues that don't show up in the dev environment.

So, once the game is in good enough shape that I feel like there's a small chance it's good to go, that's when release candidates start being tested. And then bugs are found, fixed, and new RCs get built.

NoMercyForLudds_

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: March 25, 2021, 06:44:58 PM »

@Alex, btw, any change to min system requirements?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: March 25, 2021, 06:48:09 PM »

Not particularly - there are some performance improvements and few fixes for a few memory leaks, though.

sector_terror

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: March 25, 2021, 09:39:22 PM »

A kind of hilarious basis. I'm really not sure how it slipped my mind the importance of an independent build rather than just the game. I'm really not sure why, but I got it in my head for some bizarre reason that every test play is done on some independent fresh install .exe. No, I have idea why it never occured to me the way the developer runs the software and the install and independent client software might different.

I am honestly excited for the new update. The contact system is a desperate breath of fresh air I have been waiting for for so long. A -lot- of late game quests ended up basically making me constantly either reset my game, or out and out cheat and save-scum to not let my fleet die. Once bounties got high enough, they never went back down, and trade contracts got so out of hand that even with setup they really stopped working properly. With more designed missions they can be made fair, and even I can do some basic modding if absolutely necessary to make the jobs more viable if it gets -really- out of hand, which I doubt since even the worst trade contracts were only truly impossible at the tail end of the game. The officer system and new skill system is just icing on the cake really. Well,t hat and being able to custom order more rare ships.

Chairman Suryasari

• Captain
  • The Deployer of John Lennon's.
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: March 26, 2021, 01:00:04 AM »

campaignSpeedupMult is a big game changer for me, especially for afk, on Windows I can use Cheat Engine to speed it up, but on Linux, it's hard to do it at all.
"Kids under 13 shouldn't have access to the internet. if 10yo me were on tumblr and read about suicide and depression 5 hours a day, every day, god knows i would jump off a bridge if my parents ever yell at me."

-Some random Youtube comment on video about Sonic OC.

DecoyGrenadeOut

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: March 26, 2021, 08:13:00 AM »

So with the new patch coming will there be any better way to manage player-faction fleets, loadouts and blueprints?
I have a number of ships I want my fleet to use and set to prioritize, however there always seem to be a fleet here and there running with ship that I don't want in like LC, LP or pirate ship.
So unless I just flat out don't learn the BP ever or set up the faction doctrine in a way that excludes the usage of the ships I don't want to see I always get a few straggler fleets here and there with gremlins or something in them.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: March 26, 2021, 10:08:32 AM »

Can I use a story point to persuade Alex to reveal if the update is for today?

[EDIT] nevermind
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 10:17:07 AM by Tartiflette »

Plasmodium

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: March 26, 2021, 10:18:09 AM »

Can I use a story point to persuade Alex to reveal if the update is for today?

Well, I just logged in and saw 'Released' in the thread title, think that answered your question :D

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #957 on: March 26, 2021, 10:19:08 AM »

... and, it's out!

Blog post/download links here.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 10:21:12 AM by Alex »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: March 26, 2021, 10:19:38 AM »

[Nod of approval]

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: March 26, 2021, 10:20:17 AM »

... and, it's out!

Blog post/download links here.

*rubbing hands*
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 10:24:21 AM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 146