Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 146

Author Topic: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 600480 times)

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #915 on: March 21, 2021, 06:56:34 AM »

It really would be kind of hilarious to announce release on April 1 and drop the live file on April 2.

FreonRu

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: March 21, 2021, 08:55:33 AM »

Is it worth starting a new game now, or is it better to keep the urge to play until the patch is released?

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: March 21, 2021, 10:32:16 AM »

Play when you want to play, and start a new one to play again when the patch releases! Since early game is so good in SS, there's really no reason not to play at any time.

I might be a bit biased though.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: March 21, 2021, 12:14:50 PM »

Agreed, I just started an Ironman the other day even though I don't really play that mode too much just to get a better feel for it. I feel like it's pretty much impossible to get burnt out of Starsector. That said this month has been quite busy with releases for me, Cross Code DLC, Doom Eternal DLC and Isaac Repentance coming in a week or so. When I'm done with all of those I feel like the next version will already be out.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: March 22, 2021, 01:34:24 AM »

Play when you want to play, and start a new one to play again when the patch releases! Since early game is so good in SS, there's really no reason not to play at any time.

I might be a bit biased though.

Don't tempt me. I'm saving myself for marriage with my true love, 0.95a.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Modo44

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: March 22, 2021, 03:06:59 AM »

But seriously why do people still ask for a specific date
Because waiting indefinitely gets old, and feature creep can kill a project.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: March 22, 2021, 03:22:00 AM »

But seriously why do people still ask for a specific date
Because waiting indefinitely gets old, and feature creep can kill a project.
Bruh even if we knew the exact date, it wouldn't change the fact that we still have to wait...

Also feature creep? The game will finally get some story elements and stronger endgame enemies while improving old systems like the skill tree, raids and contacts. In no way does any of these things fall under the "adding stuff for the sake of it" category.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Drayg

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: March 22, 2021, 05:27:29 AM »

Also feature creep? The game will finally get some story elements and stronger endgame enemies while improving old systems like the skill tree, raids and contacts. In no way does any of these things fall under the "adding stuff for the sake of it" category.
Nobody said that the next update is "feature creep" in particular, read his post again.

The2nd

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: March 22, 2021, 06:26:39 AM »

But seriously why do people still ask for a specific date when Alex never ever even gave a vague estimate other than various forms of soon, like very soon and soon-ish...

It has been said that every time some one asks for the release date Alex delays it for a bit.

In that spirit: release when?

I have a crucial deadline at the end of April and a new Starsector release would seriously impact my productivity. So I am grateful for everyone asking for a date. Collectively we might manage to delay it post April!

Rain

• Ensign
  • Burn bright!
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: March 22, 2021, 06:35:02 AM »

For some specific things, I rather like the new boarding thing as well as black markets no longer having combat capitals as a sort of "this makes sense to me". One of the little things that have been grating on the verisimilitude for me has been how easy black market trade, particularly in huge ships, is in general. Having patrols being far less tolerant of all the crap we can do now along with not being able to somehow 'sneakily' sell and fly away with gigantic, potentially thousands-crewed warships feels much more believable to me. Also helps explain why the LP and pirates actually have to resort to their re-fitted garbage and don't trade covertly for real (if perhaps (D)ented) ship we can do. :)

Also, with respect to "move slowly", I remember seeing the discussion about a more lore-ish name for that far earlier. Some potential things that popped to mind, something to contrast with the "full burn" name of max speed: Low burn, minimal burn, slow burn, cloaked burn, covert burn... Depending on how much you feel like emphasizing the sneaky aspect vs. the slow speed aspect.

Jonlissla

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: March 22, 2021, 06:37:55 AM »

It has been said that every time some one asks for the release date Alex delays it for a bit.

It's like Gabe Newell and Half Life 3; each time he reads a fat joke about him he delays it by a day.

sector_terror

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: March 22, 2021, 07:57:38 AM »

But seriously why do people still ask for a specific date when Alex never ever even gave a vague estimate other than various forms of soon, like very soon and soon-ish...

In that spirit: release when?

I have a crucial deadline at the end of April and a new Starsector release would seriously impact my productivity. So I am grateful for everyone asking for a date. Collectively we might manage to delay it post April!

You dare interrupt my bet? I'm afraid sir, that we must go to war. My drug of Starsector must receive this injection, nothing will us stop us! I do wanna cut in on the feature creepy thing before I write my inevitable wall of text I keep telling myself im gonna make. The important part is to see progress moving forward at a steady pace without interruption. Alex has updated this and shown no hint of anything new, just some bugfixes and minor patches that he'd likely come across while playtesting and programing. Everything seems to working within the development line as well, with not drastic drawback. the only one who needs to set and hold a goal to Alexs's through, ix Alex. But he's had how many updates now go exactly like this? He's demonstrated he has good goal settings and managment. We're fine if it comes in June.

jlrperkins

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: March 22, 2021, 08:06:24 AM »

Alex, please make logistical hullmods built-in with story points not count towards the nominal two logistical hullmods limit.

I get what you mean, but at least this is super easy to change with a minimal edit to a config file.

Zaizai

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: March 22, 2021, 04:29:38 PM »

With everyone asking for a release date, Alex, I think that even if you said something vague like: "At least a couple of weeks, could be a month but probably more if something goes wrong" we would be satisfied, the problem is that we don't even know if it's a matter of days, of weeks or months. I get that giving a rough release date just for it to be postponed can me disheartening, same with having a fixed release date to stress about, this is why by giving an open ended ballpark with the minimum being wishful thinking, and the maximum being infinity, everybody will be satisfied and you won't have to stress about the release date since the upper limit is infinity :p

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: March 22, 2021, 04:43:53 PM »

There's been a consistent policy of 'its ready when its ready' and I don't think thats going to change. While we would all love to have a release, I don't think its productive to ask when it will be or try to pressure Alex into making a statement. So:

In the spirit of keeping the thread open for discussion of patch content, please post release date questions in the General Discussion forum to avoid clutter here.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 146