Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 146

Author Topic: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 595845 times)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #900 on: March 19, 2021, 11:46:12 AM »

I hope this PL content involves colonies that aren't Kazeron or Mayasura, as those have a pretty strong identity already. Also, hey, have pop types went somewhere? They were neat, if a useless devmode-only feature.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: March 19, 2021, 11:47:05 AM »

Might be asking too much here but is that something I can expect for every faction?

Not really. For 1.0 I'd like there to be ways to get some insight into each faction and associated characters via narrative missions, but for this update we went more depth than breadth, I feel, so we could tell a story that gets to a place that feels it's at a natural stopping-off point.

There are a bunch of in-world quotes added to things like skills that add some flavour and backstory. To make those, I'd go back through the history post and the one-off missions to see if there were any interesting worldbuilding hooks, then build on those if there was a compelling connection. Others are just made up out of whole-cloth.

Anyhoo, excited to start writing the next bit once this update comes out! :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 12:42:28 PM by David »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: March 19, 2021, 12:12:35 PM »

Not really. For 1.0 I'd like there to be ways to get some real insight into each faction and associated characters via narrative missions, but for this update we went more depth than breadth, I feel, so we could tell a story that gets to a place that feels it's at a natural stopping-off point.

To clarify, that's very much a "maybe"; I would absolutely *not* expect 1.0 to have the degree of story-density for all factions that the main story line has. Whatever narrative missions touch on will be more driven by the narrative, I'd imagine, than by wanting to check the "need some more <insert faction name here> story" box. I could see doing more here, but I could also see, well, not. And I wouldn't expect, ah, universal coverage vis a vis the factions; the amount of work involved here is... significant.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: March 19, 2021, 12:58:54 PM »

When it comes to objectives, it seems like whenever frigates get there, they get chased away by bigger ships (because if they do not run, they die).

If I want to capture objectives, I probably want a fast big ship, like Falcon.  Currently, I use Falcons or (sometimes) Doom for the frigate role in endgame fights.

Unless capturing objectives gives a permanent bonus, making them a one-and-done deal, it seems like a better idea to send ships that can hold the points after they get there, not little ships that get there first but cannot hold the point after bigger enemies arrive shortly after, sometimes before the point is captured.

Jokes aside I feel generally the issue isn't people wanting 30 frigates, basically that'd be dumb, but rather would like a nice mix of not all cruisers/capitals without feeling like they are crippling their fleet strength. Because right now that's a cargo/fuel/salvage/ox being thrown away if not a cruiser/capital.
It was not dumb in releases before 0.7a, when fights were shorter and AI was less cowardly.  Player needed some longer-range weapons and possibly homing missiles (because they passthrough friendly ships) to let as many ships as possible to focus-fire on a single enemy ship.  0.65a was really the golden age for frigates, because they could do everything except haul food (when food runs gave about four times more xp than combat).  During that release, thirty-something frigates (led by Hyperion flagship) could wrap up an endgame fight in about three to five minutes, just enough time to win without too much CR decay if they had Hardened Subsystems.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 01:04:36 PM by Megas »

Jonlissla

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: March 19, 2021, 01:07:07 PM »

Looking forward to the update. Each one always manages to revive the game and I end up spending a hundred hours or more on it. It's a insanely good title and judging from the blog posts I'd say you're going in the right direction.

That said, I still want a easter egg where the systems gets invaded by fleets of Buffalos.

Is Alex going to release 0.95 on April 1?

Toady did this for Dorf Fortress with a long awaited update and proceeded to crash the entire website, and people didn't believe the news thinking it was a joke. Would be fun to see if Alex does the same.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 01:17:06 PM by Jonlissla »

TypeyMcTypeFace

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: March 20, 2021, 05:39:17 AM »

Looking forward to the new patch really hoping it fixes my saved game that isn't loading anymore because of something called java.lang.NullPointerException whatever that is. I've been playing that particular save file for about 600 hours or more  :'(  :o  ;D

Silveressa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: March 20, 2021, 06:02:13 AM »

Looking forward to the new patch really hoping it fixes my saved game that isn't loading anymore because of something called java.lang.NullPointerException whatever that is. I've been playing that particular save file for about 600 hours or more  :'(  :o  ;D

Which mods are you using? Usually that error (in my experience) is caused by having an invalid weapon on a ship or as I read a while back in the forums, a modded ship sharing the same name as a vanilla ship.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: March 20, 2021, 06:46:28 AM »

As far as I know saves are not compatible between major versions.

sector_terror

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: March 20, 2021, 07:15:02 AM »

Looking forward to the update. Each one always manages to revive the game and I end up spending a hundred hours or more on it. It's a insanely good title and judging from the blog posts I'd say you're going in the right direction.

That said, I still want a easter egg where the systems gets invaded by fleets of Buffalos.

Is Alex going to release 0.95 on April 1?

Toady did this for Dorf Fortress with a long awaited update and proceeded to crash the entire website, and people didn't believe the news thinking it was a joke. Would be fun to see if Alex does the same.

that is hilarious and in the spirit of Dwarf fortress. Dwarf Fortress, where even the IRL updates are as reliable as the dwarves

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: March 20, 2021, 12:19:23 PM »

Release when?

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: March 20, 2021, 06:16:51 PM »

TheLaughingDead

• Commander
    • View Profile

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: March 21, 2021, 01:05:08 AM »

Alex, please make logistical hullmods built-in with story points not count towards the nominal two logistical hullmods limit.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: March 21, 2021, 06:41:13 AM »

Release when?
Next Friday  ;)

But seriously why do people still ask for a specific date when Alex never ever even gave a vague estimate other than various forms of soon, like very soon and soon-ish...
Please don't take me too seriously.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 146