Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 146

Author Topic: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 596221 times)

RustyCabbage

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #870 on: March 14, 2021, 03:36:48 PM »

Yeah... honestly, from testing, the Ion Pulser feels a bit too strong right now. I might dial it back, and maybe up the efficiency of the Pulse Laser a bit.
I think just increasing the efficiency to 1.0 would have been sufficient for Ion Pulser buff. For Pulse Laser, I'd probably try 0.9 efficiency. Either way, if you propose some changes fast, we might get to test them out in a few show battles.

I was thinking of reducing the Ion Pulser damage to 90, and reducing the Pulse Laser flux cost to either 100 or 90.
I like both of these changes!  :)

Also: the Gemini is getting Civilian-based Hull, so is its base burn being reduced to 8 as well?

ZeCaptain

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: March 14, 2021, 05:11:14 PM »

Can a boarding investigation accidentally blow up a ship that is already extremely low hull and CR? And what if the player only has a ship or ships that are basically kite sized or smaller and/or don't have any room for crew? Can't board if there's no room for people to board.

shoi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: March 14, 2021, 06:11:11 PM »

that's actually a good question. I don't think there are any ships in vanilla with no extra crew capacity/skeleton crew > than max, but what happens for things like remnant ships or ships that have a higher skeleton crew? Actually, wonder if different factions react differently to having droneships in your fleet or not

Mach56

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: March 14, 2021, 06:18:25 PM »

that's actually a good question. I don't think there are any ships in vanilla with no extra crew capacity/skeleton crew > than max, but what happens for things like remnant ships or ships that have a higher skeleton crew? Actually, wonder if different factions react differently to having droneships in your fleet or not
Salvage Rig.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: March 14, 2021, 06:18:52 PM »

There area  few - Buffalo Mk II with converted hangar costs more crew than its capacity. Presumably they are in spacesuits on the outside of the hull pushing Talons off by hand.

Eji1700

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: March 14, 2021, 10:50:40 PM »

There area  few - Buffalo Mk II with converted hangar costs more crew than its capacity. Presumably they are in spacesuits on the outside of the hull pushing Talons off by hand.
At that point i just mentally assume the whole ship has 0 life support.  Just some O2 tanks and tubes you hook up to so you don't run out.

sector_terror

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: March 14, 2021, 11:36:20 PM »

Not to pressure or rush the update, but do we have a rough eta when the next patch will roll out?

Nope. I would guess April or early May based on past experience, but it could be delayed further if something turns up in final testing, as has happened.

hey hey. I'm not alone.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: March 15, 2021, 04:57:16 AM »

Alex, any plans for limited AI logistics even if not in the same way as the player?

What are some favours players could ask from contacts?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 05:10:30 AM by SonnaBanana »
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

EclipseRanger

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: March 15, 2021, 07:22:37 PM »

Ty Alex.As a relative newcomer to this game,I was blown away by the quality and the content and these patch notes seem to be increasing that quality even more.Great job!

One question:Are there any plans for out-of-combat game mechanics(like sensor strength/profile) or burn speed to matter at all in combat???

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: March 17, 2021, 10:41:23 PM »

First of all, I'm very glad that Starsector is going on, no matter what. Truly wonderful thing.

Secondly, The Thumper Rework. I mean after all this years it got its well deserved attention.

Although reduced OP cost is obviously the step in the right direction. There are other problem with it. Thumper is a burst based weapon and as such has very high "per click" flux cost - 600. What is quite noticeable for a "medium slot filler" tier weapon. Changing it type to simple sustained auto with the same dps will make it much more suitable for its role. If, for some reason, another simple auto weapon is considered as too boring, ammo variant can be implemented (like in Autopulse Laser). Both methods will provide much better flux control without too much work to implement them.

FreonRu

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: March 18, 2021, 02:17:17 AM »

I apologize in advance for using google translate.

Alex, is there an opportunity to show the community some new screenshots? This will brighten up the days of waiting before the patch is released.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: March 18, 2021, 04:12:00 AM »

Secondly, The Thumper Rework. I mean after all this years it got its well deserved attention.

Although reduced OP cost is obviously the step in the right direction. There are other problem with it. Thumper is a burst based weapon and as such has very high "per click" flux cost - 600. What is quite noticeable for a "medium slot filler" tier weapon. Changing it type to simple sustained auto with the same dps will make it much more suitable for its role. If, for some reason, another simple auto weapon is considered as too boring, ammo variant can be implemented (like in Autopulse Laser). Both methods will provide much better flux control without too much work to implement them.
Pre-0.8a was sustained instead of burst, and (with windup delay and 600 range or less) it was so bad that it was worse than Vulcan or even no weapon.  Ships could easily tank Thumper.  Today, if not for minimum armor, Thumper would shred weakened targets.  But thanks to minimum armor, Thumper is just weak except against armor-stripped frigates.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: March 18, 2021, 05:44:10 AM »

Pre-0.8a was sustained instead of burst, and (with windup delay and 600 range or less) it was so bad that it was worse than Vulcan or even no weapon.  Ships could easily tank Thumper.  Today, if not for minimum armor, Thumper would shred weakened targets.  But thanks to minimum armor, Thumper is just weak except against armor-stripped frigates.

You are talking about anti-ship capabilities. Thumpers suck at this by design and I'm completely OK with that. That I'm talking about is: "shreds enemy missiles and fighters with an overwhelming hail of small payload". It can be actually effective as a manual controlled barrage weapon if not for the lack of the adequate manual control of the fire rate what leads to oversaturation and cooldowns when it is unnecessary to say the least.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: March 18, 2021, 06:36:09 AM »

You ask for Thumper to be a PD weapon.  It has stiff competition with HMG and two flak weapons.  I guess with 700 range, it could be an LR PD gun.

Thumper seems to be like a pirate weapon that is intentionally bad to mount on clunkers (or pristine low-tech before D-mods were introduced).  At least Thumper will cost the OP to play the part, not be more expensive than better weapons.

I like Thumper's old role as hull crusher, but minimum armor interferes with that.

P.S.  Old Thumper did not have a fast rate of fire.  It felt sort of like a ballistic pulse laser.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: March 18, 2021, 07:07:47 AM »

Marking it as a PD is always welcome too.

There is no competition since Thumper's niche is "the gun for a situation when you have no other gun". If you do have HMGs and Flaks you gonna use them. However if you check weapons stats you will find that Vulcan and Flak have tier 1 of rarity while Thumper is at zero (HMG is 2).

Yes, pirate clunkers is the perfect example of the platform for this weapon.

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 146