Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 146

Author Topic: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 595820 times)

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #600 on: November 08, 2020, 11:20:54 AM »

How so? The ship still does not have heavy ballistic integration and while it possesses plenty of OP for almost everything you want to give it the mediocre flux dissipation hardcaps it's sustained offensive capability.

Because ships still need a reason to keep their shields up and heavy needlers do not do that. 

As a result you need some explosive or energy damage and as it happens there two efficient and effective HE weapons you can fit, either the HAG or the Hellbore. Because they are, by far, the most OP and Flux efficient HE damage in the game.

Now, you could also fit a mark IX, which, as has been discussed, is far better than its stats suggest.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: November 08, 2020, 01:09:27 PM »

The current estimate is February next year.

To clarify: That is community guesswork, nothing official.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: November 08, 2020, 04:05:15 PM »

Wasn't Megas keeping track of the the longest gap in time between patch notes release and then actual patch release? What is the average time between Alex posting notes and then release?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: November 08, 2020, 04:15:33 PM »

Wasn't Megas keeping track of the the longest gap in time between patch notes release and then actual patch release? What is the average time between Alex posting notes and then release?
Not really.  I might have brought it up before, but others have posted charts and the like for greater precision.

Zelnik

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: November 08, 2020, 05:39:31 PM »

People having to resort to astrology to anticipate releases is not a good sign.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: November 08, 2020, 05:44:48 PM »

... can we have a Mudskipper Mk III that has a built in Onslaught wing (of 4)? That should be worth 1000 OP...

(... ha!)

Joking aside, it would be pretty cool to fight such a constellation. Some big baddy you have little chance to kill but you can oumaneuver, and it's little squishy companion you have to get at to end the fight. It could be the control unit or energy source or dimensional anchor or whatever.
Would really give you a reason to pilot an elite frigate instead of a battleship.

Yeah, that sort of thing could be very neat! Have to be careful not to have it be tuned to the point where fighting the "dangerous" ships is entirely pointless, though; otherwise it steers into territory where it'd be really hard for the AI to handle.

Will there be story point based toolbar abilities, like Go Dark but even stealthier or Emergency Burn but even faster?

No - I think that'd just clutter things up as far as abilities are concerned. Something more momentous *could* make sense if it worked like that, but I'm not specifically planning on anything like that.

What are the most interesting new skills?

Hmm - there's a couple! Probably the one that lets you use REDACTED ships is high on that list.

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: November 08, 2020, 10:22:47 PM »

Seems like everyone is talking about combat skills, but what about the others? Will those have elite levels too?
What could we expect from elite industry or logistics skills? Can we mentor admins too? How will admin cores function?

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: November 08, 2020, 11:22:25 PM »

Seems like everyone is talking about combat skills, but what about the others? Will those have elite levels too?
What could we expect from elite industry or logistics skills? Can we mentor admins too? How will admin cores function?
No, so far.

I've been asking Alex to add elite effects to Admins skills, don't know if he'll do.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

WooksterRu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: November 09, 2020, 02:25:02 AM »

I absolutely love reading the upcoming changes and updates to the game, starsector is proof that you don't need fancy 3D graphics to make a amazing game. I just hope I don't die of old age before the games full release haha. I'm sure the quality and possibilities will be endless :D

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: November 09, 2020, 07:02:17 AM »

Considering that combat skills can be elited because they disproportionately depend on player skill, I doubt other skills will be. Might as well remove eliting entirely and just make it so that all skills cost a skill point and a story point.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: November 09, 2020, 08:17:58 AM »

Considering that combat skills can be elited because they disproportionately depend on player skill, I doubt other skills will be. Might as well remove eliting entirely and just make it so that all skills cost a skill point and a story point.
Most recent answer from Alex is this.

Hi - welcome to the forum, and glad you've been enjoying the game!

It's close what what SCC said, yeah - the "elite" skill levels are mainly there to give the player a "special" bonus for picking something that only affects their piloted ship, so that you can feel like you're getting something you wouldn't get just from a high-level officer, and so that you can feel that - even with relatively few combat points spent - that your character is a capable pilot; in some ways more capable than the officers under your command. And by requiring story points to unlock these - instead of making them just player-only portions of skill effects - it makes this feel more earned.

This really applies even if you're using autopilot, though you'd naturally get more value out of it depending on how much personal piloting you do and how well you do it.

Non-combat skills don't face the same situation where lots of NPCs visibly have them, and you're comparing your character against them - I mean, admins have some of them, and fleet commanders have some some of the fleetwide skills, but it's much more minor - so there's not much point to locking some of the effects behind a story point. Basically, it's less a progression system for skills and more a way of gating access to some of the effects, and this, imo, only really makes sense for combat skills.

Plus, for combat skills, the "elite" effects are usually something cool and particularly powerful, which is easier to get away with because it's still just one ship. For fleetwide/colony skills, the effects would have to be much more restrained, so it wouldn't be as exciting and would probably just feel like a story point "tax" to unlock the full value of the skills.

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: November 09, 2020, 08:30:04 AM »

I predict that a mod will be made for that!
I absolutely love reading the upcoming changes and updates to the game, starsector is proof that you don't need fancy 3D graphics to make a amazing game. I just hope I don't die of old age before the games full release haha. I'm sure the quality and possibilities will be endless :D
I agree that gameplay makes good games, not graphics. You shouldn't worry about your demise, tho. You need to be praying that Alex doesn't pull a "Robert Jordan" on us...

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: November 09, 2020, 10:02:27 AM »

Most recent answer from Alex is this.

In addition to that - which is a very big part of it, for sure - the way things are set up is investing in each aptitude gives you more ways to spend story points. For Leadership it's on officers, for Technology it's on ships/AI core captains, for Industry it's (potentially) on more colonies. It's not exactly split 100% equally, but that's the general idea. And, of course, for Combat the extra points are spent on the elite levels of the skills.

More specifically as far as admins/AI core admins, there's no way to spent story points on buffing them up. You can however spend story points on directly improving colonies. To me it feels like getting too detailed with admins etc is not super interesting - it's just so removed from actual gameplay - and a more direct way of just buffing colonies feels better. On the other hand, the AI cores that pilot REDACTED ships in your fleet *can* be improved via a story point in their own unique way!

Thank you! And, haha, I'll do my best to ensure that doesn't happen :)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: November 09, 2020, 05:51:47 PM »

Any plans for new Derelict and [REDACTED] ships?
Has the time needed for Pathers to launch an attack increased?

Please make logistical hullmods built in with story points not count towards the two hullmod limit.

RustyCabbage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: November 09, 2020, 11:43:08 PM »

13 new special weapons specific to this enemy
Random thought - are these weapons going to be hidden from the out-of-campaign missions (unlike say, Sparks and other [REDACTED] fighters)? I'd hate to accidentally spoil myself if I decided to jump in there for whatever reason.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 146