Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 146

Author Topic: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 599181 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #390 on: October 23, 2020, 04:34:22 PM »

Re: simulator, various points noted!

so i just skimmed over it, are there no changes worth mentioning to autofit? because as it is right now its all over the place :'(

Hmm, could you be more specific? I recall fixing a few bugs and tweaking faction weapon availability (in particular, iirc, giving pirates more stuff so that their high-tech stations aren't so sad) but I'm not aware of any particular issues with autofit. Perhaps some of this is a difference in expectations? It's not supposed to produce highly optimized best-in-class variants; rather it's "generally a mix of halfway-reasonable stuff, with some variants that are fairly random". It does get more consistent/produce "better" outcome as fleet "quality" goes up, though... anyway, any more feedback here would be very much appreciated!

Half-full

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 23, 2020, 05:44:30 PM »

Has there been any thought given to changing behavior for fleets that belong to not necessarily unified categories like pirates and independents? Right now all of their fleets share dispositions, but some fun emergent things can't happen if blowing up some pirates at one end of the core makes every group across the entire sector want you dead.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 23, 2020, 05:53:41 PM »

Well - they won't go insta-hostile if your transponder is off, so I'm not sure any doors are actually closed there.

For all that it comes up fairly regularly, I think treating the reputation with pirates (and especially independents) as a block makes pretty good sense, given that 1) there are a lot of fleets, especially belonging to these factions, that won't make you go hostile regardless of transponder status (smugglers, scavengers, etc), and 2) you *can* turn the transponder off. Just in general, it makes sense that if you're known for taking out independent fleets, other independent operators - even if not directly involved with your targets - would be reeeeeal unhappy with you.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 23, 2020, 08:30:49 PM »

Any plans to add more industries locked behind blueprints (like Planetary Shield)?
Are factions more or less likely to launch expeditions now?
Do [REDACTED] now attack systems of other factions? Can they be encountered in hyperspace?
Please add more danngers, encounters and TREASURE to hyperspace.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 04:34:39 AM by SonnaBanana »
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Piemanlives

• Commander
  • I've Got This, I think...
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 24, 2020, 02:44:17 AM »

Hmm, could you be more specific? I recall fixing a few bugs and tweaking faction weapon availability (in particular, iirc, giving pirates more stuff so that their high-tech stations aren't so sad) but I'm not aware of any particular issues with autofit. Perhaps some of this is a difference in expectations? It's not supposed to produce highly optimized best-in-class variants; rather it's "generally a mix of halfway-reasonable stuff, with some variants that are fairly random". It does get more consistent/produce "better" outcome as fleet "quality" goes up, though... anyway, any more feedback here would be very much appreciated!
There is perhaps quite a bit of difference in expectation. Many of us are still living with the memory of DynaSector and the incredibly dangerous and absurd fits it provided.

Now that said the current iteration of autofit does some... very silly and incredibly dumb things quite often. Like giving ships weapons they can't use effectively at all, such as giving slow ships short range weapons or downsizing mounts in ways that don't make sense (such as the larges on a Conquest).

It's basically to the point that often enough AI fleets simply aren't a threat because their loadouts don't work, or are only threatening because they have weight of numbers. I understand that you don't exactly plan to tune autofit to the point that it's always incredibly dangerous and daunting to even consider combat, but it really does need some fine tuning to give the AI more of a fighting chance.
This is called me throwing my missile swarm at you, and by swarm I mean massacre, and by missiles... I actually just mean missiles, there's actually not much to it really.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 24, 2020, 03:16:40 AM »

Downsizing by autofit in any way is almost bound to be a mistake.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 24, 2020, 09:05:14 AM »

The size 6 planet limit seems to be pretty fair all around. It really takes too much game time to hit 8 or try going beyond that in an ordinary game. Still, it might be nice for various planet properties to increase or decrease that limit. Your average crappy post collapse colony might be a 6, but a neutron star might cripple it down to a 5. A super nice highly habitable gaia world can be a 7, and maybe a super rare planet terraforming tool could push it up to an 8? At that point the world would practically be the New Earth of the sector. In any event it would take real extreme circumstances to change a planet's limit, so it'd be the exception rather than the norm.

THE SHAMBLER

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 24, 2020, 12:17:36 PM »

When can we expect a .95a realease? :O

CoverdInBees

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 24, 2020, 01:10:48 PM »

Since the colony changes keep coming up, as well as the core planets being too much of a pushover, i just wondered if you think they become more resilient or less with all the changes? And are you filling up the extra colony slots that open up on various AI planets under the new rules? (and if so did you manually adjust total market values or did they "just" automatically increase a bit?) What about adding or upgrading their defences that aren't linked to colony size (like orbital and ground defences)?

As for planets/markets that really *could* use some buffing in my opinion: New Maxios comes to mind (maybe make it a battlestation?) as well as some of the pirate bases that only consist of a station. Would really help their believability to survive/be more or less permanent if they weren't under repair from facing random patrols half the time.
Luddic path also feels like it could use some help imo, not only to make it more believable that they can semi-permanently stay in control of their planets but also because there's such a big discrepancy between their power in the core and the power of their popup bases.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 24, 2020, 02:39:28 PM »

There is perhaps quite a bit of difference in expectation. Many of us are still living with the memory of DynaSector and the incredibly dangerous and absurd fits it provided.

Now that said the current iteration of autofit does some... very silly and incredibly dumb things quite often. Like giving ships weapons they can't use effectively at all, such as giving slow ships short range weapons or downsizing mounts in ways that don't make sense (such as the larges on a Conquest).

It's basically to the point that often enough AI fleets simply aren't a threat because their loadouts don't work, or are only threatening because they have weight of numbers. I understand that you don't exactly plan to tune autofit to the point that it's always incredibly dangerous and daunting to even consider combat, but it really does need some fine tuning to give the AI more of a fighting chance.
Downsizing by autofit in any way is almost bound to be a mistake.

I appreciate the added detail! I guess in my mind, "autofit" and "what the default fleet inflater tells autofit is available to use" are two different things, but it makes sense that it's not... a very player-facing distinction. I'll take another look; pretty much all cases of downsizing for example (or using a short range weapon when the base loadout uses a long-range one) is due to nothing better being flagged as available. I've made some notes and will take a look shortly.

When can we expect a .95a realease? :O

When it's ready, of course :)

The size 6 planet limit seems to be pretty fair all around. It really takes too much game time to hit 8 or try going beyond that in an ordinary game. Still, it might be nice for various planet properties to increase or decrease that limit. Your average crappy post collapse colony might be a 6, but a neutron star might cripple it down to a 5. A super nice highly habitable gaia world can be a 7, and maybe a super rare planet terraforming tool could push it up to an 8? At that point the world would practically be the New Earth of the sector. In any event it would take real extreme circumstances to change a planet's limit, so it'd be the exception rather than the norm.

Hmm. I could see perhaps hazard rating changing the size limit - but then there are some ways to manipulate the hazard rating now, so I think the "soft" natural limit (based on growth penalties from hazard, but over-comeable via hazard pay) might be an easier fit.

Since the colony changes keep coming up, as well as the core planets being too much of a pushover, i just wondered if you think they become more resilient or less with all the changes? ...  What about adding or upgrading their defences that aren't linked to colony size (like orbital and ground defences)?

I think they're in about the same place. Just in general, I'm not particularly concerned about this aspect of things. The core worlds need to be reasonably vulnerable to things like sneaking around, smuggling, raids, and so on; that's more important imo than their overall reslience/power level vs endgame fleets. It's not like taking them down is any sort of goal (other than self-imposed), and they're not the toughest challenge in the game anyway, so it's just... not something that I think will matter very much in the long run, not when there will at some point be a "proper" endgame to focus on. And based on the requirements of that, they may end up getting tuned up or down defense/power-wise! But right now, there's nothing actually meaningful to balance them around, if that makes sense.

And are you filling up the extra colony slots that open up on various AI planets under the new rules? (and if so did you manually adjust total market values or did they "just" automatically increase a bit?)

Definitely not! Just a few items here and there where they were absolutely needed to make the default economy's ends meet. I'd like to keep as many of the items as possible a fun surprise, not, "oh, it's that thing I already saw on some core colony".

CoverdInBees

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 24, 2020, 03:19:41 PM »

Definitely not! Just a few items here and there where they were absolutely needed to make the default economy's ends meet. I'd like to keep as many of the items as possible a fun surprise, not, "oh, it's that thing I already saw on some core colony".

Ah yeah, not filling them with items makes perfect sense, but i was thinking more of industry slots. Since 4 slots will be available at size 6 instead of 7 now for instance, and 2 available from the start. (so if all the core planets stay the same size a lot of them could get an extra industry according to the rules)
It makes sense that you don't want to fool around with that too much either though, with the whole thing being more or less balanced as it is.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 24, 2020, 03:25:21 PM »

Ah, I see what you meant not, sorry I misunderstood! Yeah, they're more or less as-is; the stuff found on the core colonies is for 1) making the Sector economy work out and 2) flavor. It doesn't really need to be "optimized according to the rules" because it's not a symmetric 4x type of situation, you know?

Shoat

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 24, 2020, 06:03:26 PM »

I have literally never taken ships from the pirates. Anything with defects is automatic trash, and you get enough money in the first thirty minutes of a game to finance a small carrier fleet.

That's quite a self-harming way of playing the game.
There are plenty of D-mods that have not-too bad or even insignificant (or rarely even completely irrelevant) penalties, and all d-mods have the positive effect of making ships cheaper supplies-wise (even more so with the relevant skill), so deciding to automatically decline salvage on anything just because it has a d-mod and then spending your resources on buying ships (which is highly inefficient) is just shooting yourself in the foot for literally no reason. I'd understand playing like that as a pride-themed challenge run, at best.

Optymistyk

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 25, 2020, 05:29:25 AM »

Oh yes finally I am more excited for this than for christmass  :D

Can you drop a hint if there's any substantial changes for colony management in the works? It's probably my fav part of the game

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 25, 2020, 05:49:43 AM »

Oh yes finally I am more excited for this than for christmass  :D

Can you drop a hint if there's any substantial changes for colony management in the works? It's probably my fav part of the game
There might be some, Alex tends to update patchnotes once or twice.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 146