Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 146

Author Topic: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 595893 times)

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #375 on: October 23, 2020, 02:59:18 AM »

Yea it's weird to me how so many people got annoyed by that change, but hey it's easily moddable.

Anyways I forgot to ask one more thing. Will we get new ships in the simulator to test against? I know this is super minor and not important as the rest but it's nice to have a wider array of opponents you can test your build versus. Also please add the new combat ships to the random mission, thanks.

Adding new ships to simulator and some missions is also easy.
Still, not having to do that would be a lot more convenient.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 23, 2020, 03:04:47 AM »

I know, I actually added pirate and Ludd capitals to the random mission but I'm still not super comfortable messing with the game files. And if it's that easy I guess it won't take much dev time for it.
Please don't take me too seriously.

TerranEmpire

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 23, 2020, 03:07:43 AM »

I don't campaign. I know it's useless.

Pointing out this inconsistency between colony size and core elimination has two solutions...
He hasn't ruled out making the core elimination harder.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 23, 2020, 03:38:15 AM »

He hasn't ruled out making the core elimination harder.
Yes please, destroying the core should be far harder.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 23, 2020, 06:09:40 AM »

Industry items are a flat bonus, which is disproportionately good early on.
Maybe it might be worth considering scaling the industry items boosts with the output of said industry?
The old items are getting indirectly nerfed.  Synchrotron will require a planet without an atmosphere.  That sounds like 150% hazard minimum.  Nanoforge will put pollution on a habitable planet.  Currently, I put those industries are low hazard (100% or less) planets because of upkeep.  I cannot really do that next release if I want to use those items.

I wonder of a habitable planet will be required to use a forge (for unavoidable pollution), or if forge can be used anywhere and pollute only habitables.

Currently, meeting demand of the most demanding structures is impossible without items (need synchrotron/forge and/or cores), even with Industrial Planning 2.  I like to see if meeting demand will be possible without items next release.

Re: easy core kill
Making core kill harder could make them defend against pirates easier.  Systems need to be able to defend themselves against the zombie pirates reliably.  Currently, pirates roll over core systems and eventually cause decivilization of worlds if player does not intervene.

Major factions look like scrubs when they sends all units (huge expedition fleets) against the player (and none against pirates or mortal enemies), and then the player comes over and rolls over a mostly undefended capital world.  Major factions should reserve their monster-sized expedition fleets as their system defense fleets.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 06:17:29 AM by Megas »

CoverdInBees

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 23, 2020, 07:29:27 AM »

When assuming the overall colony balance stays more or less the same those nerfs aren't too substantial.
It's easy to make more than plenty of money (next to production capacity) from planets at least up to 200% hazard, and on top of that there aren't enough money sinks to justify looking for that perfect set of planets where you can make even more money. At least imo.

RustyCabbage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 23, 2020, 08:29:52 AM »

Reserve Deployment:
  • Now adds 1/2/3 fighters above max wing size and affects bombers as well
Can you clarify what this means? Is it 1/2/3 for ship sizes (destroyer/cruiser/capital ships), or maybe wing size (1-2/3-4/5-6), or something else entirely?

Anvel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 23, 2020, 09:41:45 AM »

A lot of complaints about colony sizes and industry changes, but don't you guys agreed that in the carent version colony's way too overpowered and too rewarding, that game aspect had to be changed so...

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 23, 2020, 09:43:21 AM »

Did it become much easier for players to gain reputation? If so, will we get more options to spend reputation for more goodies?
Since the player can't directly control Automated Ships....... will there be a hullmod to allow it?
Is Personal Contacts the last blogpost before 0.9.5 release?
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 23, 2020, 10:27:00 AM »

A lot of complaints about colony sizes and industry changes, but don't you guys agreed that in the carent version colony's way too overpowered and too rewarding, that game aspect had to be changed so...
Max colony skills and no cores gives about a million per month.  That is enough to rebuild ships I lose and add another structure.  Thanks to Pather bug (and easy-bribe Hegemony), building nearly unlimited large colonies is profitable and nearly risk-free.

Next release, I may need to use the overpriced Restore to preserve ships lost in battle instead of building new ships (because I need to spend two or three story points adding new permamods to each new ship built by Orbital Works).  Restore costs much more than building a new ship with Orbital Works.

The only problems with the current version is how fast colonies can grow to 10^7 or higher with both Free Port and max Growth Incentives, and the lack of space lord things to do that would cost big bucks or the resources of an army to do.  If I run planets and their resources, I like to do things on a more epic scale than a lone grunt fleet can do.  (Instead of my fleet chasing a buck to make ends meet, I hire fleets that need to chase a buck to make ends meet to do things I cannot be bothered doing, like killing all of the zombie pirate fleets decivilizing the core worlds.)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 23, 2020, 10:58:43 AM »

I'm wondering is there anything related to Doom-class in 0.95? ;) beside Tweaked Mine Strike ship system AI.

Hmm, nothing else that I can think of.

Being able to create a colony, build an industy, and then drop an item on it & instantly outcompete most of the sector for production feels like far more of an issue than a number not changing tbh.

Industry items are a flat bonus, which is disproportionately good early on.
Maybe it might be worth considering scaling the industry items boosts with the output of said industry?

Ah - I like the idea that you can find a pre-Collapse item of some sort, make a colony, and get a significant return on that right away. So this aspect of it is very much what's intended, though I don't think you'd be universally out-competing the Sector just off that alone. It might be ok with some amount of scaling, too - though that sort of thing would need to be on a per-item basis, probably - but I'm not sure that it's really necessary.

Anyways I forgot to ask one more thing. Will we get new ships in the simulator to test against? I know this is super minor and not important as the rest but it's nice to have a wider array of opponents you can test your build versus. Also please add the new combat ships to the random mission, thanks.

I *think* that's on my list of items to look at. One thing I half want to do is have the sim opponents be unlocked (and have that carry over across playthroughs), but that's more of a thing than just adding some, so... hm. I don't want to just load the sim opponents list with everything, you know? It's already got a ton of stuff in it.

And re: random mission - I'll see if I can have a look as well.

Pointing out this inconsistency between colony size and core elimination has two solutions...

I'm not so sure that "it's way harder to create something than to destroy it" is an actual inconsistency!

That said, just in general, the backstory is non-specific/vague enough that one could come up with plausible reasons for anything to make (or not make) sense. It just depends on the assumptions you make.

I wonder of a habitable planet will be required to use a forge (for unavoidable pollution), or if forge can be used anywhere and pollute only habitables.

At the moment, it's the latter.

Reserve Deployment:
  • Now adds 1/2/3 fighters above max wing size and affects bombers as well
Can you clarify what this means? Is it 1/2/3 for ship sizes (destroyer/cruiser/capital ships), or maybe wing size (1-2/3-4/5-6), or something else entirely?

Ah - yeah, it's based on wing size. 3 or less: +1, 4 or 5: +2, 6: +3.

Did it become much easier for players to gain reputation? If so, will we get more options to spend reputation for more goodies?

Hmm? I'm a bit confused as to where the question is coming from.

I suppose it's easier to get reputation just due to the contact mechanics and having more missions available. "Spending" reputation generally isn't a thing and the system isn't set up to use this as a currency (though of course it might come into play occasionally).

Since the player can't directly control Automated Ships....... will there be a hullmod to allow it?

I think that's come up earlier in this thread; the short version is "no" :)

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 23, 2020, 11:28:07 AM »

I *think* that's on my list of items to look at. One thing I half want to do is have the sim opponents be unlocked (and have that carry over across playthroughs), but that's more of a thing than just adding some, so... hm. I don't want to just load the sim opponents list with everything, you know? It's already got a ton of stuff in it.

And re: random mission - I'll see if I can have a look as well.
Oh yeah I remember that suggestion about unlocking opponents, sounds interesting but obviously far more work. And I didn't think EVERY single ship should be in the simulator, just more types and varied opponents compared to 2 Lashers + 2 Lashers but with d-mods stuff we have now. Although personally it doesn't seem like it's "a ton" currently but I guess some of us got used to the simulator filled with mods where the list increases tenfold, so you hop back into vanilla and think "it's so small now awww".
Please don't take me too seriously.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 23, 2020, 11:53:21 AM »

For more varied ships in the simulator, let player deploy his ships as enemies.  Had one release years ago that had a bug that did just that with some recovered ships.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 23, 2020, 02:54:52 PM »

If you do get around to the simulator, one request I'd love to see is sim opponents with officers. Unskilled opponents, as you get further and further into a run, become less and less normative for the kind of opponents you'll be facing. The simplest solution (to me), would be to add two checkboxes: "Random officers" (RNG officers/skills on added opponents) and "Max Skill" that does just that (maybe without "Elite" skills coming up). While it would be kind of cool to fine-tune sim opponents, I imagine that would be a UI nightmare.

SarenSoran

• Ensign
  • Just a Doomer coming through
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 23, 2020, 03:52:25 PM »

so i just skimmed over it, are there no changes worth mentioning to autofit? because as it is right now its all over the place :'(
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 146