Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 146

Author Topic: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 595856 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2020, 08:27:47 AM »

Not such a fan of the changes to colonies, though. Putting a hard cap on colony size basically forces the player to play "wide" rather than "tall" (in the parlance of 4X games). Given that the current version of Starsector already requires quite a bit of babysitting your colonies, bouncing back and forth across the Sector as threats pop up, I'm concerned that this will end up being an additional tax on the player's time. Especially since planets that are appropriate for particular industries just got rarer, thanks to the restrictions on industry-boosting items. And this change doesn't play well with an existing cap on colonies: the number of administrators/alpha cores the player has access to.
Unless Alex changed colony limits, playing "wide" is only possible with alpha core admin spam, which may be threatened by fixed Pather cells.

Pathers are a zombie faction just like pirates.  In other words, major babysitting problem when they can break stuff.  Pirates were already a headache without Pathers on top of them.

Artay

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2020, 08:31:16 AM »

• Added a new, very rare and powerful enemy:
     • 13 new special weapons specific to this enemy
• A very limited number and subset of these can be acquired by the player during each campaign

What's this, we gettin' Blade Breakers official?  ;D
Very curious about this new enemy.

As for all the other changes - I love 'em. Especially contacts, skills revamp and story points. Also, thanks for QoL changes, these are great!

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2020, 08:39:19 AM »

When producing ships at a colony, an additional fee will be charged based on the weapons/fighters installed on the ship
This extra cost does not count against the monthly production capacity
Can we tell production not to build these extra weapons (i.e., build empty hulls)?  Often, when I can build ships, I have more than enough weapons on hand, or I order the extra weapons I want too without relying on weapons provide by some random variant.

Avanitia

• Commander
  • Local Egg Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2020, 09:00:50 AM »

In current version, I've noticed that with -10% range (level 1 ECM skill) AI still performs decently, but with -20% (maxed ECM skill) AI just gives up and gets mulched into paste without too much of an issue - it becomes really skittish and can't fight back outside of capitals and fighters.

So here's the question - what is the max range debuff without any skills in next update?
You haven't played Starsector unless your storage has one thousand Vulcans in it.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2020, 09:13:44 AM »

I support Megas's objection. I don't want to pay for weapons I won't use anyway.
On another note, High Scatter Amplifier. Is it still there? If it is, its 50% range decrease is pretty punishing for energy point defence weapons. Will you do anything about that?

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 17, 2020, 09:19:49 AM »

Supporting this as well. By the time I have a colony I'm drowning in weapons, I only need to build a few.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #96 on: October 17, 2020, 09:38:03 AM »

I think the idea is that the ship is ready to use on delivery if you send it somewhere other than your main stash, but I never do that.

On that note, should producing fighters/weapons also generate supplies/fuel/crew like ship production does?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 17, 2020, 10:42:22 AM »

Pirate bases should no longer spawn in systems with neutron stars/pulsars
That should be a relief.  Pirates that repeatedly respawn in those systems are a pain, and made Navigation nearly mandatory to avoid crossing pulsars twice per visit.

Bombardments will cause other in-system colonies to stops trading with the player for some time, depending on their relationship with the bombarded colony
Does that mean if I sat bomb an annoying core world, that my own colonies within a system will stop trading with each other?

Would like to see core worlds suffer shortages if they bomb worlds, too.

Added a new, very rare and powerful enemy
What does "very rare" mean?  Limited spawns like Legion14s, or (re)spawns rarely like rare drops (e.g., high-end uniques) in a Diablo game?

sergei

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 17, 2020, 11:55:37 AM »

This is feels like an early christmas present. Can't wait to test it all out and start a new vanilla run. Really like the look of the new officer mechanics and i'm excited for the new raiding and marines.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 17, 2020, 12:03:53 PM »

Part of an effort to incentivize colony world variety, yeah; most items have requirements or interactions with planetary conditions.

Pollution doesn't require habitable - consider corrosives, radiation, etc. Good point re: bombardments, though; let me remove the "habitable" requirement there. Hmm. On the other hand, what this does is instead of disincentivizing industry on habitable worlds, it more incentivizes (somewhat) industry on a world by itself. So, actually, let me make a note to check tomorrow; it seems offhand that requiring habitable for pollution is probably the right way to go.

Re: whether it's heavy industry or a nanoforge, I'm not sure it actually matters all that much which one causes it, since a nanoforge of some sort is almost required. But I suppose this leaves the option of having a safer, low-tier heavy industry, not that it's going to generally be a good option.
Heavy Industry is a great filler for boosting production limits.  If I am avoiding Pather cells (I did before I knew about the Pather bug), I do not use forges on additional Heavy Industries.  Anytime I have spare industry slots, I build a Heavy Industry.  Also, heavy industry produces machines, and it is nice to have a regenerating stack of machines in colony resources.  (Waystation only handles supplies, fuel, and crew if demand is met.)

In my last game, I had three or four Heavy Industries, but only one or two of them had forges.  The rest were there to boost production so I can build a bunch of ships (or a capital) and/or weapons in a month or less.

It would be annoying if Heavy Industry alone (no forge) caused pollution.  Might as well have eco-terrorist Pathers form permanent cells if Heavy Industry alone is that destructive to the planet.  Would also make the Ludds (both of them) total hypocrites, since the Church has Industry and corrupted forge on Asher.

P.S.  Allowing pollution on non-habitables means bombing such planets is no longer a clean and easy way to destroy and steal a non-habitable enemy world.  (For habitables, I would want to decivilize it with raids then abandon it to get a clean planet to seize instead of sat bombing it.  Of course, with that abandon bug fixed, probably just bomb habitables too since Pollution is less punishing than Decivilized.)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 12:16:15 PM by Megas »

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 17, 2020, 12:22:10 PM »

Question re: "Revenant"

This is such an odd combination of attributes I'm trying to wrap my head around it. I imagine a phase logistic ship has higher maintenance and you pay a premium for both the reduced sensor profile and the ability for a phase ship to escape from battle.

It's also a tanker/freighter hybrid meaning it likely won't be as good as dedicated freighters or fuel tankers in those specific tasks but something like 2/3rds as good as either in both categories (i.e a Destroyer-sized ship would have 200 cargo and 400 fuel capacity). I suppose if you have a phase fleet, you'll just want to keep adding more and more of these ships.

The real questions I have is whether or not its combat worthy and/or if it's counted as "next size up" like other phase ships in terms of logistical profile. Will I want a Revenant in my fleet if I'm not going "all phase?" Does it offer anything that having both having a Buffalo and Phaeton wouldn't?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 17, 2020, 12:28:36 PM »

The main reason for me to use a phase hauler is to haul the vendor trash away after a raid with a pure phase fleet.  It is no fun being able to haul away only blueprints and not the vendor trash along with it from a raid because the current phase ships have atrocious capacity that make normal warships look like freighters in comparison.  As for hullmods, the crew and either EO or Augmented Drive took priority.  Needed crew hullmod to carry enough marines, and EO so my pure phase fleet could eat less while flying around.

I do not know if pure phase fleet will be so good at sneaking into heavily defended core worlds as they are now.  Currently, it is almost unfair stealing blueprints from Culann or Sindria with a pure phase fleet because profile is so low and shaking off patrols is so easy.

Come to think of it, how big is the Phantom and Revenant?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 12:31:23 PM by Megas »

Golde

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 17, 2020, 12:35:32 PM »

Faeren

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 17, 2020, 02:19:29 PM »

Kinda hoped there might be a few new frigates but I'm stoked regardless. Can't wait for release.

nb8

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 17, 2020, 02:47:04 PM »

do you really want upgrade superpower Brawler, who can destroy the strongest ship in the game - paragon alone?
and nerf an Onslaught which is as bad as possible?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 146