Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 146

Author Topic: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 596158 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #885 on: March 18, 2021, 09:17:36 AM »

Not to pressure or rush the update, but do we have a rough eta when the next patch will roll out? I was thinking of starting up a new save over spring break, but it'd be a bit of a downer to start a save and have to trash it if the next version rolls out in like a few days

Very soon(tm) :)

that's actually a good question. I don't think there are any ships in vanilla with no extra crew capacity/skeleton crew > than max, but what happens for things like remnant ships or ships that have a higher skeleton crew?

Specifically regarding those d-mods, they don't get them. Well, they can get the Increased Maintenance d-mod, but the max crew capacity aspect of it wouldn't matter since it's zero.

There area  few - Buffalo Mk II with converted hangar costs more crew than its capacity. Presumably they are in spacesuits on the outside of the hull pushing Talons off by hand.

... yes.

(A more in the spirit of things explanation is that the crew rotate off the ship after their duty shifts end, that sort of thing.)

Ty Alex.As a relative newcomer to this game,I was blown away by the quality and the content and these patch notes seem to be increasing that quality even more.Great job!

Thank you! Also - hi, and welcome to the forum :)

One question:Are there any plans for out-of-combat game mechanics(like sensor strength/profile) or burn speed to matter at all in combat???

There aren't, no - those stats are entirely separate for a reason. Trying to balance those kinds of values with two entirely different sets of demands on them would be a nightmare.

Although reduced OP cost is obviously the step in the right direction. There are other problem with it. Thumper is a burst based weapon and as such has very high "per click" flux cost - 600. What is quite noticeable for a "medium slot filler" tier weapon. Changing it type to simple sustained auto with the same dps will make it much more suitable for its role. If, for some reason, another simple auto weapon is considered as too boring, ammo variant can be implemented (like in Autopulse Laser). Both methods will provide much better flux control without too much work to implement them.

Hmm - "Big burst" is kind of its nature, though - what makes it tactically interesting to go up against in its own way. I don't particularly want to re-work how it *works* as I'm happy with that aspect of it.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: March 18, 2021, 11:11:16 AM »

Has the Persean League changed in any way to make them more distinct from Independents?

kempenzonen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: March 18, 2021, 01:59:20 PM »

Pirate raids, punitive expeditions, etc:
  • Increased time until first pirate raid on player colony
  • Increased time it takes pirate bases to upgrade to a higher tier (minimum changed from 6 to 12 months)
  • Increased interval between new pirate bases being established (1-2 cycles)
  • Destroying a pirate base increases this interval by another 1-2 cycles
  • Reduced frequency of pirate raids targeting the core worlds by roughly a factor of 3

Do these changes also affect Luddic Path cells/bases?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: March 18, 2021, 02:58:09 PM »

Has the Persean League changed in any way to make them more distinct from Independents?

To some degree - i.e. they have access to the new midline cruiser, while the independents don't. But, thematically, they're basically an alliance of what would otherwise be a bunch of independent worlds, so a degree of similarity is to be expected.

Pirate raids, punitive expeditions, etc:
  • Increased time until first pirate raid on player colony
  • Increased time it takes pirate bases to upgrade to a higher tier (minimum changed from 6 to 12 months)
  • Increased interval between new pirate bases being established (1-2 cycles)
  • Destroying a pirate base increases this interval by another 1-2 cycles
  • Reduced frequency of pirate raids targeting the core worlds by roughly a factor of 3

Do these changes also affect Luddic Path cells/bases?

Well - the Luddic Path bases don't do most these things, so... :)

(The changes listed that might conceptually apply also don't. I mean, they're just different things with different goals and different mechanics. Changes to each would be listed separately!)

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: March 18, 2021, 04:15:27 PM »

For me at least, having too many ships on the field makes the quality of combat take a real dive. Its fun in a meme-y way for the battlespace to be absolutely filled with frigates, but it really screws up the AI and makes maneuvering silly. Things turn into bumper cars and ships take significant damage from friendly collisions. Even 30 frigates is not very good gameplay IMO.

^^ Hates fun!

Jokes aside I feel generally the issue isn't people wanting 30 frigates, basically that'd be dumb, but rather would like a nice mix of not all cruisers/capitals without feeling like they are crippling their fleet strength. Because right now that's a cargo/fuel/salvage/ox being thrown away if not a cruiser/capital.

Maybe I'm underestimating how much effect the small ship skills effect gameplay? Alex and his secrets...

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: March 18, 2021, 04:28:22 PM »

You ask for Thumper to be a PD weapon.  It has stiff competition with HMG and two flak weapons.  I guess with 700 range, it could be an LR PD gun.
700 range would be the primary reason to take a theoretical PD thumper, yeah.  I'd also argue that the HMG is less a "real" PD weapon and more thinly disguised SO-bait.

Hmm... PD Thumper...

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: March 18, 2021, 10:35:58 PM »

Jokes aside I feel generally the issue isn't people wanting 30 frigates, basically that'd be dumb, but rather would like a nice mix of not all cruisers/capitals without feeling like they are crippling their fleet strength.

Imo, to be really useful an AI officer-ed frigate would have to some degree imitate how player frigate plays in larger fights - enter battle, rush some vulnerable opponents, run out of PPT, swap to next frigate from reserve, repeat.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: March 19, 2021, 02:16:41 AM »

Is Alex going to release 0.95 on April 1?
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

tim110011

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: March 19, 2021, 03:05:04 AM »

Suggestion:
      Please stop AI colonizing gas giants or ice giants.
      Do not generate gas giants, ice giants, cryovolcanic planet near star.
      Do not generate jump-poin, stations, ships, resources too near star.
      Do not generate habitable planetss too near or too far from star.
      Generate more cryosleeper, place them near habitable planet.
Bug:
   Generate habitable planets in a binary star system consisting of a neutron star and a (yellow) dwarf star.
   Tri-star large system: generate stable location or jump-point out of map.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: March 19, 2021, 03:17:26 AM »

Suggestion:
      Please stop AI colonizing gas giants or ice giants.
This has nothing to do with the vanilla game as that's a Nexerelin mod feature. AI doesn't colonize anything without mods.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: March 19, 2021, 09:03:40 AM »

Maybe I'm underestimating how much effect the small ship skills effect gameplay? Alex and his secrets...

I hope so! Also, :-X

Edit: aside from skills, the other big factor here is capturing objectives, since those now give you bonus deployment points, up to 60% of the base point total. That is, the side that's down in deployment points can tie things up by capturing objectives. So, frigates are really key to doing that quickly, and it's particularly important in difficult fights.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 09:06:40 AM by Alex »

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: March 19, 2021, 09:33:36 AM »

I totally forgot about that change to capturing objectives. Whew, that's a seemingly small (but actually huge) change in gameplay.

This may have been brought up back when this mechanic was first announced but I've forgotten. Let's say I capture an objective and immediately deploy enough ships to go up to the new cap. Then, the objective gets re-captured by the enemy. Is there a malus for being (temporarily) over your total deployment points?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: March 19, 2021, 10:06:16 AM »

There's no malus, no.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: March 19, 2021, 10:51:02 AM »

To some degree - i.e. they have access to the new midline cruiser, while the independents don't. But, thematically, they're basically an alliance of what would otherwise be a bunch of independent worlds, so a degree of similarity is to be expected.

I will add: the story missions involve some interactions that let you find out a bit about what's going on in the Persean League.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: March 19, 2021, 11:22:09 AM »

Might be asking too much here but is that something I can expect for every faction?

Also, are any new songs being added?
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 146