Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 146

Author Topic: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 595850 times)

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #555 on: November 03, 2020, 08:05:26 PM »

While I definitely see the appeal of new weapons, but they need a purpose besides checking off boxes.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 08:10:59 PM by Toxcity »

FreonRu

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: November 04, 2020, 09:58:52 AM »

I apologize in advance for using google translator.

Alex, a few questions / suggestions:

1 Was the possibility of specifying the location of the fleet for deployment considered before the battle? For example, so that battleships appear on the first line, support cruisers and aircraft carriers on the second line? And also so that you can set the behavior for the ships in advance (for example, a certain aircraft carrier must always accompany the cruiser. Now the tracking is configured anew every time, but this routine and it is superfluous).

2 Are there any plans to give the opportunity to change the orbits of the planets? (for example, a super secret technology (REDACTED). As a terraforming tool (for example, dragging a frozen world closer to a star and melting ice on it, turning it into an ocean world.

3 How about putting pins or notes on the card? For example, I constantly keep notes on paper to remember where everything has already been cleaned up (for example, all ruins have been surveyed and all stations (REDACTED) have been cleaned and alpha cores collected).

4 Will it be possible in the future to move the cryostorage from a distant system closer to habitable space? For example, in order to still get out of sleep or for its intended purpose (organ trade). Setting up a colony in remote space is not bad, but sometimes you want to have maximum protection in the system and build several colonies in one system at once, so that the patrol is coordinated and repulsed all the impudent ones.

5 How about two types of ships (or modules for ships) - 1 star refueling (convenient for long expeditions into deep space), 2 special ship to increase the radar (yes there is a module, but it is extremely weak), there are, for example, special ships tankers, civil, etc. As for the ship, the main, and possibly the only function, will be to increase the range of the fleet's radar (literally a ship consisting of several radar installations).

6 How about the "Announce the recruitment of officers" function in one of your colonies?

7 Are there any plans to give the opportunity to send one of their patrol (or punitive) fleets, let's say, to clean up a pirate base? By specifying a specific system and giving a cleaning task.

And the last question ... will it be possible to remove the "flash" of the transition from one game screen to another? Honestly, sometimes my eyes start to hurt.

Zaizai

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: November 04, 2020, 03:24:46 PM »

There was a mod that introduced energy based missile that were built in on a ship, don't remember the name unfortunately. 
they were homing balls of energy that dealt hard flux energy damage, with a recharging magazine but infinite ammo. I had to say, i had a blast using them and i wished i could mount them on all ships. 
I kinda hate finite resources and i get that missiles are strong and need to be regulated somehow, but there's nothing worse than running out of missiles and realizing that your build doesn't work anymore... 
This is why i use way more piliums and salamanders than i should. Something like that mod, even  way weaker than missiles and with high OP, would be amazing imho.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: November 04, 2020, 04:51:34 PM »

There was a mod that introduced energy based missile that were built in on a ship, don't remember the name unfortunately. 
they were homing balls of energy that dealt hard flux energy damage, with a recharging magazine but infinite ammo. I had to say, i had a blast using them and i wished i could mount them on all ships. 
I kinda hate finite resources and i get that missiles are strong and need to be regulated somehow, but there's nothing worse than running out of missiles and realizing that your build doesn't work anymore... 
This is why i use way more piliums and salamanders than i should. Something like that mod, even  way weaker than missiles and with high OP, would be amazing imho.

I'm pretty sure you're talking about the Kitakaze, a mod cruiser with phase skimmer that also gets buffs when being near it's two Korikaze drone frigades. Quite the amazing ship if you can actually find it for sale. It obviously works really well with laser weapons since those homing energy missiles will force the enemy to either vent or lower shields.

Those tracking energy weapons are just deadly and a somewhat similar version of that would be great to have in vanilla, given its balanced.

There is also a 12 OP missile weapon called the Karion Seeker from Tahlan Shipworks that more or less has the same range/tracking capabilities but that deals very little shield/hull damage but does a very respectable amount of EMP damage, very useful against particularly annoying frigades.

P.S: I may have switched the name of the two ships I described.
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: November 04, 2020, 05:07:24 PM »

ZaiZai is probably thinking of the BRDY super-destroyer, the Morpheus.

Zaizai

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: November 04, 2020, 05:52:40 PM »

Arcagnello got that right! that's exactly the ship! I wonder if there's any chance for something like this to be added

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: November 05, 2020, 12:49:42 AM »

Arcagnello got that right! that's exactly the ship! I wonder if there's any chance for something like this to be added

It's a great concept for a weapon, but one that can easily become overperforming with very little done to it.

Now, I don't have a Kitakaze at hand's reach right now, but I can remember the fact those tracking energy projectiles hurt a lot, small energy weapon blaster kinds of hurt and unlike actual blasters they have very good range, good enough tracking to reliably hit destroyers AND they're also very hard for enemy PD to shoot down, if they even target it (I can't remember that aspect of the weapon).

The easy way you could make it balanced revolves around giving it a bad enough flux to damage ratio to justify its range, hit accuracy, PD resilience and damage but there comes a point where the weapon both costs too much for 90% of ships to use it while, at the same time, is also a bit to strong when installed on any ship capable to handle it, so the balancing process for a weapon like this would take quite a lot of effort if Alex wanted to keep its properties intact.

A vanilla example of a weapon that can soon become overperforming (if you only make it more expensive to balance it) is the Heavy Needler, a no-brainer for ships able to afford it when compared to virtually all other medium ballistic weapons (aside from the Hypervelocity Driver, wich is cheaper, has 200 more range but worse shell velocity, does less damage but also does more damage per shot and carries an EMP warhead dealing EMP damage on hull hits), hell the Heavy Needler is actually even preferrable to some large ballistic weapons on ships with poor flux dissipation like the Onslaught, where its best, vanilla-only setups usually involve two heavy Needlers slapped to the side, into the large ballistic slots.

P.S: The last part about the Onslaught is going to change by the way, since this patch is going to finally give it Heavy Ballistic Integration lowering the OP cost of all Large Ballistic Weapons by 10 (I think). Especially looking forward to Heavy Armor getting better too, considering I'm playing a campaign where most of my main ships have no shield generator to speak of.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 12:52:38 AM by Arcagnello »

Anvel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: November 05, 2020, 02:46:04 AM »

Why this topic suddenly becomes a suggestion thread? Do not distract the developer with all these suggestions than he almost finished the update, wanna overpowered weapons, and ships go use mods.
ps Alex, do not get distracted, update you made is already huge, leave some space for dlcs.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: November 05, 2020, 04:06:26 AM »

Why this topic suddenly becomes a suggestion thread? Do not distract the developer with all these suggestions than he almost finished the update, wanna overpowered weapons, and ships go use mods.
ps Alex, do not get distracted, update you made is already huge, leave some space for dlcs.

Mea Culpa there, got carried away again. I'll be a good boy now  :-X

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: November 05, 2020, 08:33:27 AM »

Most importantly.....
Will there be be fleets which are doing the same types of missions that players can take? Like running into independent surveyor/derelict analyser/base destoryer/bounty hunter fleets outside the core region?
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: November 05, 2020, 10:06:47 AM »

I apologize in advance for using google translator.

No worries! The translation is actually very good.

1 Was the possibility of specifying the location of the fleet for deployment considered before the battle? For example, so that battleships appear on the first line, support cruisers and aircraft carriers on the second line? And also so that you can set the behavior for the ships in advance (for example, a certain aircraft carrier must always accompany the cruiser. Now the tracking is configured anew every time, but this routine and it is superfluous).

I've thought about this, yeah. I don't think it'd be a great idea - it's a lot of new UI and work (both for me to add, and for the player to set up stuff), and it's not like you're always deploying the same thing. And you have other options! Say, deploying the frontline/slower ships, then re-opening the deployment dialog to deploy a second wave, if that's what you want. Carriers will naturally - and intentionally - fall back, too, and there's generally enough time before fleets close for them to do that. So this just isn't something I want to add - I think it's far too complex for the limited benefit it might bring.

2 Are there any plans to give the opportunity to change the orbits of the planets? (for example, a super secret technology (REDACTED). As a terraforming tool (for example, dragging a frozen world closer to a star and melting ice on it, turning it into an ocean world.

No plans for that, no. But other things have similar effects!

3 How about putting pins or notes on the card? For example, I constantly keep notes on paper to remember where everything has already been cleaned up (for example, all ruins have been surveyed and all stations (REDACTED) have been cleaned and alpha cores collected).

I'd like to look at that at some point, yeah. Not for the next release, though/

4 Will it be possible in the future to move the cryostorage from a distant system closer to habitable space? For example, in order to still get out of sleep or for its intended purpose (organ trade). Setting up a colony in remote space is not bad, but sometimes you want to have maximum protection in the system and build several colonies in one system at once, so that the patrol is coordinated and repulsed all the impudent ones.

Hmm, I don't think so. It's not meant as a "bonus to any planet in the Sector" but rather as a local condition.

5 How about two types of ships (or modules for ships) - 1 star refueling (convenient for long expeditions into deep space), 2 special ship to increase the radar (yes there is a module, but it is extremely weak), there are, for example, special ships tankers, civil, etc. As for the ship, the main, and possibly the only function, will be to increase the range of the fleet's radar (literally a ship consisting of several radar installations).

(Honestly, I'd prefer for suggestions to go into the suggestions forum.)

6 How about the "Announce the recruitment of officers" function in one of your colonies?

Not quite, but having a military base etc makes officers much more likely to show up. In general, I don't think it'd be that useful, anyway. It's easier to find officers already so getting up to max officer count with your preferred types of officers shouldn't be an issue.

7 Are there any plans to give the opportunity to send one of their patrol (or punitive) fleets, let's say, to clean up a pirate base? By specifying a specific system and giving a cleaning task.

No specific plans for that, no.

And the last question ... will it be possible to remove the "flash" of the transition from one game screen to another? Honestly, sometimes my eyes start to hurt.

You can do this right now! Open up data/config/settings.json, and change:
"enableUIStaticNoise":true,

To false.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: November 05, 2020, 10:31:12 AM »

I've thought about this, yeah. I don't think it'd be a great idea - it's a lot of new UI and work (both for me to add, and for the player to set up stuff), and it's not like you're always deploying the same thing. And you have other options! Say, deploying the frontline/slower ships, then re-opening the deployment dialog to deploy a second wave, if that's what you want. Carriers will naturally - and intentionally - fall back, too, and there's generally enough time before fleets close for them to do that. So this just isn't something I want to add - I think it's far too complex for the limited benefit it might bring.
I usually go big ships first, then small ships.  (Deploy battleships, close, open, deploy smaller stuff.)  It gets annoying when my small ships die before my big ships even enter fog-of-war radius of a fight.

Caymon Joestar

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: November 05, 2020, 03:40:35 PM »

HYBRID, COMPOSITE, SYNERGY, and UNIVERSAL are now supported weapon types
Fit into that type of slot, or into a slot of a matching primary type
E.G a HYBRID weapon fits into a hybrid, ballistic, or energy slot, but not into a synergy slot

So question about this, would it be possible to have like a tag in the weapons’ csv that could prevent weapons like these from being placed in the primary slots? I know there’s some people on discord who would like composite weapons that could only be used in the composite slot.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: November 05, 2020, 03:58:20 PM »

Ah, sorry, that's not really possible... at least, not super easily! The idea here is literally the opposite - to make the weapon type less restrictive, not more.

(I'm also not really sold that having this as a restriction makes a ton of sense, since generally speaking those types of slots are pretty rare, so weapons requiring them severely limits where they can be used.)

Avanitia

• Commander
  • Local Egg Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: November 05, 2020, 05:21:44 PM »

Added "auto_fighter" tag; only fighters with it can be installed on player-fleet automated ships
Added "auto_rec" tag; UNBOARDABLE ships with it can be recovered by the player fleet with the proper skill

Do Wasps and Mining Pods have the "auto_fighter" tag?

How do "auto_rec" and "auto_fighter" tags interact - when putting the fighter game checks for presence of "auto_rec" on ship and then check the wing for "auto_fighter"?

Question related to mods:
Can I make a hullmod that will nullifies the "auto_fighter" tag requirement (makes all fighters require 0 crew but gives debuffs to fighters)?
Say I have a ship with 0 crew capacity and want it to accept only drone fighters, I assume I'd have to reference auto_fighter tag in hullmod code to make it accept only drone wings?
You haven't played Starsector unless your storage has one thousand Vulcans in it.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 146