Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 146

Author Topic: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 599364 times)

Voxette

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1380 on: April 02, 2021, 06:04:25 PM »

I really love this game, and the new patch is great.

A few pieces of feedback:

The game is, in opinion, way way way too easy, even on the Spacer start. Not necessarily in the combat, which is challenging if it's an even match, but the economy. I really wish there were a harder mode that would tighten the economy up so it's not laughably easy to rack up enormous profit margins just by knowing how to use the F1 key and looking for shortages (and the old standby of taking drugs and weapons to the Pathers). I feel like this harms the game narratively, as I don't feel like just another spacer trying to get by in a harsh post-Collapse world but some kind of Horatio Alger version of Gordon Gekko. Anything I touch, money just pours out of. If I go bankrupt, I just glance at my bootstraps. In the real world, if there's a way to make tons of money for nothing, people all go do it, so it doesn't stay that way! It might make some sense if the fiction were like Eve Online, where capsuleers are almost like gods, but the Starsector fiction seems to want to make them much more grounded.

The new skill system feels odd in some ways. It is weird that the two new phase ships count as "phase combat" ships, apparently, when there are no other phase non-combat ships. Hopefully, that is just a bug.

I feel somewhat punished for taking "fun" skills like personal combat, when it would be more "optimal" to go for the fleet bonuses.

I don't like this odd feeling of being actively pushed to spend story points on 100% bonus things I don't need, just to increase my XP gains to rank up my skills. I also think you rank up way too quickly at the early ranks.

I feel like smuggling is a little too easy and dull once you learn how to do it. Not to mention that the penalties from just openly trading on the black market are so mild that transponder-off smuggling feels totally optional.

pairedeciseaux

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: April 02, 2021, 06:25:32 PM »

While you are at TODO, maybe have difficult recovery not be the first thing that pops up if they are the only ships.  More than once, I clicked recover all, and almost confirmed until I saw green and held at the last second before wasting SP by accident.

Hmmm. I am not a fan of the recovery screen. IMO, having two tabs means means bad UX:
  • it is not obvious at first that there are tabs, so when both normal and difficult recovery are available, player might miss the difficult ones
  • once the player understand the tabs business, he has to perform an explicit action just to see all ships available for recovery

Personally, I would prefer to see all ships at once when the recovery screen pops up.

I also think you rank up way too quickly at the early ranks.

I have had this feeling too.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: April 02, 2021, 07:00:41 PM »

I feel somewhat punished for taking "fun" skills like personal combat, when it would be more "optimal" to go for the fleet bonuses.
This is how I feel about Automated Ships vs. Special Modifications.  Special Modifications is great for those with story points to burn.  Automated Ships, is fun, but less so when one Radiant has to work with low CR (or even Brilliant with less than max CR).

If I plan to play a given game a long time, I would pass on Automated Ships for Special Modifications because I want more powerful flagship (and fleet too).

Sedrido

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: April 02, 2021, 07:20:42 PM »

some folks way back on page 13 or so said that people autopilot because they suck at combat but for me thats not true i like sitting back watching the pretty colors (and calling back that one suicidal frigate before the horde of fighters takes it to brazil) of the fleet of ships that i lovingly customized destroy any and all challengers, incidentally that makes personal combat skills matter less to me i almost think that combat skills should grow and develop alongside other skills depending on how you fight so it feels like you arent just losing out taking them over utility skills (also can you remove the command point cost from actions using the ship you command? it just feels weird is all as you can make it do all the things you were going to give it commands for manually anyway)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 07:22:45 PM by Sedrido »

Flet

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: April 02, 2021, 09:40:55 PM »

Thats why i tend to like sitting in carriers. You go through the effort of finding the perfect officer and making a ship for them, i like to watch them act.

Rain

• Ensign
  • Burn bright!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: April 03, 2021, 12:01:53 AM »

Were any of them a XIV battlegroup MKII Atlas? If you ever get a chance to salvage one, give it a try. They are actually a lot of fun to fly I find.

No, the only mods I've been running to start with are portraits and GraphicsLib, so it was all straight up the vanilla pirate junk. :) I did break them all, I just thought it was a little at odds with what I'd read about this release being intended to reduce capital ship spam, hence I posted about it. And so it apparently was, judging by the above dev response.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: April 03, 2021, 12:21:33 AM »

I've got a bit of a problem with a blueprint.  Fairly early in the game, I came across a system with a coronal hypershunt in it - poked my head in, saw the baddies, noped out, but I cleaned out the rest of the system - debris fields, derelicts, Domain probes, ruins, the lot of it.  Much later picked up a bar event to find a blueprint, one for a Phantom, that happened to be located in the same system.  I came back with a sizable fleet and defeated said baddies, pulled off everything I could from their hopefully-dead-this-time-for-sure hulks, jumped back home, picked up the pieces, and came with a fleet more suited to looking for goodies (and fending off overly-territorial prospectors).  I scoured that system top to bottom again with no results.

So I took a peek in the save file, and it turns out, the blueprint appears to be held in the hypershunt itself.  But I didn't get the blueprint when I defeated the baddies, only loot from the baddies themselves, and I can't go back and get any loot from the hypershunt (even if I activate it).  I reactivated the baddies through modifying the save file and defeated them again, but to no avail.  Is this an oversight?
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: April 03, 2021, 04:41:01 AM »

@ The Soldier:  Is that blueprint quest given by a "flashy" guy?  If so, you need to survey a planet for ruins and loot the blueprint from there.  I got a Phantom blueprint quest, killed all of the Indie claim jumpers in the system (had to detour to Red Planet to recover a Radiant to overpower and kill that Odyssey and friends), then scanned the planets.  Found Phantom blueprint after looting one of the ruins.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: April 03, 2021, 08:28:16 AM »

Question:  Is Decivilized more common on habitable planets now, or is that just unfavorable sector generation?

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: April 03, 2021, 08:33:15 AM »

@ The Soldier:  Is that blueprint quest given by a "flashy" guy?  If so, you need to survey a planet for ruins and loot the blueprint from there.  I got a Phantom blueprint quest, killed all of the Indie claim jumpers in the system (had to detour to Red Planet to recover a Radiant to overpower and kill that Odyssey and friends), then scanned the planets.  Found Phantom blueprint after looting one of the ruins.
Aye, given by a "flashy" guy, so plenty of overly-aggressive indies.  As said though, I cleaned out the system a dozen cycles previously.  All planets surveyed, all ruins explored.  Double and triple-checked all the planets again after I got the quest.  I peeked in the save file, and it implies the blueprint is locked in the hypershunt, which as far as I can tell, I can't actually loot (it seems to think the hypershunt is any other station that I can salvage).  The indies were also interested in the hypershunt, though they could never get close.

Question:  Is Decivilized more common on habitable planets now, or is that just unfavorable sector generation?
In my sector gen, I've only got a dozen or so Decivilized worlds, with dozens more habitable planets.  Just unfavorable generation.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 08:35:38 AM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: April 03, 2021, 09:37:56 AM »

Yeah, this looks like a bug - thank you! Made a note to investigate. The Hypershunt is not salvageable so it's odd... ah, it still has the salvageable tag for some reason. Maybe that's the problem - I'll take a look!

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: April 03, 2021, 10:05:03 AM »

Are there more than two cryosleepers per map in 0.9.5? If not I don't think they should be able to generate within 3.3 lightyears of each other as they did in my game. Makes them really...well, of limited use.

(MN-6593263186804071588, Mokosh and Delta Zabazio, bottom-left of the map, in case that's helpful)

rude_strudel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: April 03, 2021, 10:19:43 AM »

Just dropped in to say holy crap I'm loving this release! I took a few days off and i'm already 30 hours into my new vanilla campaign. The changes feel great to me!
1k Hours Playing Starsector in 5 years :D! Thank you so much Alex! - 2017

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: April 03, 2021, 10:35:16 AM »

Just dropped in to say holy crap I'm loving this release! I took a few days off and i'm already 30 hours into my new vanilla campaign. The changes feel great to me!

:D Thank you!

Are there more than two cryosleepers per map in 0.9.5? If not I don't think they should be able to generate within 3.3 lightyears of each other as they did in my game. Makes them really...well, of limited use.

(MN-6593263186804071588, Mokosh and Delta Zabazio, bottom-left of the map, in case that's helpful)

There are 2 cryosleepers, yeah. Their placement is fairly randomized, in systems with the "domain exploration drones" theme, but preferring systems with good planets if possible. Might not be a bad idea to spread them out, but... well, let me think about it!

Farlarzia

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: April 03, 2021, 11:40:35 AM »

Some more notes from my playthrough:

Several times I have seen fleets being listed as 'running from your fleet' for them to actually directly follow and sit on top of my fleet, even in motion, although they don't interact with you. They weren't quest or mission related, or had anything other than generic comms dialog.

The story mission to
Spoiler
meet Baikal Daud
[close]
is incorrectly listing his office to be in Kazeron in the mission description. The icon itself appears at the correct location on the star map.

The none story missions from Galatia Acedemy often seem predisposed to offer missions in the same cluster of planets. From what I can tell, these long distance missions seem to be to encourage and make exploration more profitable, so the fact they repeatedly send you to locations you've already scoured isn't very useful. Dead drops seem to also suffer this, to a lower extent.

An odd side effect of building in hullmods, is that if you so want, you can build in a hullmod that requires militarized subsystems, and then remove militarized subsystems while keeping the built in that requires it.

As people have already mentioned, the new phase logistics ships count as militarized ships despite not being combat worthy, and thus count against those skills.
I understand that they're not really 'civilian' in the fact they're highly advanced phase ships, especially in the case of the Phantom which is designed for ground attacks, and giving them the civilan hullmod would mean breaking the set rule that 'ships in x class have y base sensor strength and profile' to keep them at their current statline.
I think its fair trade off for these logistical ships to make your direct combat skills less effective, due to other passive buffs they provide to the fleet being more powerful than regular civilian logistical ships. The Revenent could probably do with a minor buff in this circumstance though, perhaps giving it a phase equivilent of Shielded Cargo Hold hullmod?

This hasn't really become too much of an issue yet, but after visiting the same port many times throughout the game, the comms tab is starting to become cluttered with contacts I didn't want (4 contacts I turned down, 1 I actually kept). Perhaps there should be a limit to the total contacts per location, or for contacts you don't accept to disappear entirely after a while?

This is more of a personal greivance, but Buffalos are 2 OP off being able to install saftey overrides. This might be intended, to keep them within their slow lumbering cargo haulers role, even for the player. But it does remove the option for the player to sacrifice a built-in logistically advantageous Dock hullmod, for a more speedy run away from danger blockade runner fleet within disengage scenarios.
Since there are many variants of the Buffallo, but only 2 which actually have a statistical difference, one of which is a straight upgrade (Pirate version with Shielded Cargo Hold), and one is a sidegrade (Hegemony Auxillary with Militarized Subsystems), perhaps the TriTach version could gain 2 OP to open up another choice in which buffalo to choose.

Another weird skill interaction, is that built in fighter wings still count towards the total flight decks for the skill tree, when most of the built in fighter wings are on ships you certainly wouldn't class as a carrier.

Regarding the paper book historian - He's super neat! But past that, it would nice to be able to get the unrelated story tidbit informations even if you accept his tangible offers of blueprints or rare items (I mean technically you can, but its not super intuitive). The story point for different ship classes might also need adjusting - its a single story point for a measly frigate, but also only a single story point to point out a Paragon blueprint. I'd also say that the 4 story points needed for a rare item really stings, when you consider that 0% bonus xp goes along side that, though I understand these items can be very powerful - still, its a lot, especially when you consider how far those story points could go if you sunk them into a colony. If the ship options are to stay at 1 story point, maybe it could point out 2/2/1/1 blueprints depending on size, to make spending the point on lower tier ships a little more cost effecient - or you could just turn up the bonus XP for smaller ships past 0.

Edit: Something extra that I forgot when I was writing this, is that the interaction with the Persean Intelligence Officer, you can repeat that dialog infinitely by just bringing up comms again, and gain 5 rep with him each time while doing so (not that this does anything currently I believe)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 04:25:17 PM by Farlarzia »
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 146