Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 146

Author Topic: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 596137 times)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1215 on: March 30, 2021, 11:07:16 AM »

Maybe its mercenaries? I've seen fleets with 25+ officers, most level 6+ (no idea on how many elite skills they have, if any).

Hmmm, what if we just removed the player limit on officers entirely if thats what the AI is doing? Things like deployment, nav bonuses, ecm bonuses, and skills like coordinated maneuvers/wolf pack, and using a fleet with more than 10 ships start working mid/late game that way. Officers are also a pretty large money sink at ~2.5k/month each: late game balance expecting 50k+ in officer maintenance per month would help offset colony income.

Reducing built in hullmods to base 1 to lower player power to compensate also makes ships less 'story point' valuable, so losing them wouldn't be as bad as it currently feels.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: March 30, 2021, 11:21:55 AM »

Got strange event in a bar. Was told about possible Perdition blueprint location for 10K. After paying it I got rep boost. However when I traveled to the system there were no blueprints or quest marking of any kind (checked with the unlimited scan range). I'm OK with being lied by the AI but the problem is that quest will stuck in the Accepted unless I abandon it. No negative effects whatsoever but I really don't like that kind of litter in the logs.

1. Is it just a bugged quest or genuine con-action?
2. In any case, is it possible to auto-remove it from the list just as all other completed quests without manual abandon option?

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: March 30, 2021, 11:48:52 AM »

Got strange event in a bar. Was told about possible Perdition blueprint location for 10K. After paying it I got rep boost. However when I traveled to the system there were no blueprints or quest marking of any kind (checked with the unlimited scan range). I'm OK with being lied by the AI but the problem is that quest will stuck in the Accepted unless I abandon it. No negative effects whatsoever but I really don't like that kind of litter in the logs.

2. In any case, is it possible to auto-remove it from the list just as all other completed quests without manual abandon option?
Blueprints can also be in ruins of a planet. Did you survey everything and explore the potential ruins?
Please don't take me too seriously.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: March 30, 2021, 11:57:10 AM »

Reducing built in hullmods to base 1 to lower player power to compensate also makes ships less 'story point' valuable, so losing them wouldn't be as bad as it currently feels.
With the loss of Loadout Design 3, I want those built-in mods.  Without built-in mods, ships feel OP starved.  I had to give up Reinforced Bulkheads and/or campaign mods to have ships fight well enough.  I really miss the extra OP from Loadout Design 3.  Sure, perma-mods will mean more OP than before, but it also means the ship cannot be replaced just by building a new one without spending more story points.

Ships with ANY built-in green mods will be story-point valuable, and effectively a keeper or "forever" ship.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: March 30, 2021, 12:02:13 PM »

Blueprints can also be in ruins of a planet. Did you survey everything and explore the potential ruins?

Nope.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: March 30, 2021, 12:05:25 PM »

Maybe its mercenaries? I've seen fleets with 25+ officers, most level 6+ (no idea on how many elite skills they have, if any).

It's mercenaries, yes. Though they're currently apparently bugged for the player in that you can't go over the limit with them; about to go fix that one now.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: March 30, 2021, 12:15:10 PM »

It's mercenaries, yes. Though they're currently apparently bugged for the player in that you can't go over the limit with them; about to go fix that one now.

You can keep hiring mercenaries above limit, but can't hire extra normal officers if you take Officer Management skill while count of normal officers + mercs >= 10.

Also, having played this version more - is Officer Management even a good skill, long-term (given it's permanent)? The only drawbacks mercs seem to have is doubled salary (and difficulty of finding ones with good personality + skills). So, Officer Management just reduces my upkeep by 5k, compared to having 2 extra mercs instead of normal officers.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 12:17:38 PM by TaLaR »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: March 30, 2021, 12:30:57 PM »

Thank you for clarifying - fixed that up, regardless.

Also, having played this version more - is Officer Management even a good skill, long-term (given it's permanent)? The only drawbacks mercs seem to have is doubled salary (and difficulty of finding ones with good personality + skills). So, Officer Management just reduces my upkeep by 5k, compared to having 2 extra mercs instead of normal officers.

Ah - if you hang on to mercs until their contract expires, you'll have some additional data to factor in here.

sector_terror

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: March 30, 2021, 12:42:10 PM »

Hmmm, what if we just removed the player limit on officers entirely if thats what the AI is doing? Things like deployment, nav bonuses, ecm bonuses, and skills like coordinated maneuvers/wolf pack, and using a fleet with more than 10 ships start working mid/late game that way. Officers are also a pretty large money sink at ~2.5k/month each: late game balance expecting 50k+ in officer maintenance per month would help offset colony income.

look in the java files, the bounty fleets at certain levels go above default levels. From difficult levels 8 and above the officer numbers are set above "default" and 9 and 10 are set to "all." It's entirely ignoring that value and would require a full overriding mod to undo.

Rain

• Ensign
  • Burn bright!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: March 30, 2021, 12:43:38 PM »

Just had a bounty contract from a personal contact generate a bounty in a black hole system (no planets or anything in it, if that might have had something to do with this)... Which turned out to be quite literally stuck inside the black hole when I arrived. As thematic as it might be for miscreants to hide in such places, this seems like it might be worth failsafing somehow. :)

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: March 30, 2021, 01:06:52 PM »

When you go into the comm directory of one of your colonies and speak to an offier or admin for hire and don't hire them, if you leave the colony and return (even instantly) that character is no longer there.

Maethendias

• Commander
  • Esteemed Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: March 30, 2021, 01:23:21 PM »

i found the new skill system, while pretty interessting and exciting at first glance, VERY restricting...

especially the part that forces you to take skills you dont care about (and skills that you have to take, but ... dont "stack" with other skills earlier in the tree basically making them dead weights (im looking at you salvage skills))... all the while only having
15 skill points for what... 40 available skill options? seems VERY unfun to play into.

talking about salvage... salvage has become really... "frustrating" ever since the diminishing return changes... youd think reserving multiple slots for salvage ships would make more of an impact than basically 50 to around 60 % salvage effectiveness (and on that note, salvage seems to give alot less supplies as a result of that)

considering how exceptionally important some skills are compared to the rest (double ammo for all missiles? another build in slot for all ships? transverse jump/ ecm for all ships? +1 burn level, etc), skills you cant just slot and choose because of how the skill"tree" forces you to progress linear, it ACTUALLY WASTES POINTS YOU WOULDNT NEED, an issue when skillpoints have become so limited

this becomes a real problem when you consider officer skills (and how limited those have become), compared to ai officers, that somehow arent limited? Because some of those skills ARE really strong and increase the combat effectiveness of a ship drastically, and despite their hard limit of levels, you still cannot pick and choose the skills you need, they are still random

and again, i think one of the biggest problem with the current skill system is that it is way too limiting, to the point of you having to min max efficiently, instead of choosing skills to tailor your playstile, which i bet isnt the intended design.

it also makes some ships really bad to fly (case and point paragon), i dont know what it is but the paragon has become exceptionally sluggish to fly, manouver, and its flux management has become atrocious, even without quad lances or plasmas
(the lack of the old "bonus % of op" skill means, despite inbuild systems, bigger ships have WAY LESS op than before (with all the problems included in the "build in systems" feature already mentioned)

the skillsystem (in my opinion) should have another lookover with those problems in mind, (and it could use more of those elite skills if im honest, and make said elite skills more impactful, you know, with them being elite and all)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 01:30:07 PM by Maethendias »

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: March 30, 2021, 01:50:36 PM »

When you defeat a fleet of automated ships defending a Domain Era Probe, and then loot the probe, you end up with two different debris fields - one from the battle, and one from the probe. It's really not obvious and annoying to harvest them separately (if still majorly less annoying than it was to harvest them six times in 0.9.1, mind), so would it be possible to combine the two debris fields into one?

TerranEmpire

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: March 30, 2021, 02:04:08 PM »

Suggestion: after unlocking the 5 skill levels instead of starting over you should be able to unlock any remaining skill. I think otherwise 15 skill points is not enough and feels very restricting. Choosing skills should be about choosing playstyles but right now you can't even unlock all the colony management skills. So basically the game denies me this kind of playstyle.

boredom974

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: March 30, 2021, 02:20:26 PM »

The limit on officers is misleading. I thought I would be fine with the max number of officers and that the AI would play by the same rules, but now I'm stuck fighting every major battle outnumbered by 50% and with a 20% range debuff. While the effect of more officers on navigation and ECM makes sense, I feel that the officer effect on deployment points is counterintuitive. Just because I don't have as many officers my larger fleet is suddenly outnumbered on the field?

And if the AI can just double or triple its officer numbers beyond the default limit through mercenaries, what's the point of a limit at all? It's not even a soft limit for the AI, they just blow past the limit by a mile. Wouldn't it be more reasonable for really tough AI fleets to have 8-12 officers, only occasionally surpassing the limit with a couple mercenaries? Or am I expected to have a dozen merc officers myself to compete with this in the endgame, ignoring the limit myself? Is this even possible? What happens when a merc's contract runs out, can you renew the contract for free or do you need another story point?
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 146