Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 146

Author Topic: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 595755 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1185 on: March 29, 2021, 03:43:25 PM »

small Typo in the Title (should be RC11) :D

And thank you, it fixed my save-game bug. Keep up the good work!

Thank you, fixed that up :) And thank you!

Does the Tachyon Lance sound not work for anyone else with this new patch?

Hmm, works for me.

I'm having a blast discovering all the new things in the update! One thing I'm noticing so far as I advance into the midgame: enemy officer count and level is becoming a greater and greater problem.

My own main combat ships can keep up because of the 2 free hullmods. Thats enough to close the gap between their level 6/7 officers and my level 5's, but it costs me 2 story points per ship and makes losing those ships suddenly really bad. I've always liked to keep frigates around as distraction/support/torpedo boats even in larger fleets, but now they are up against enemy frigates with officer and they just cannot engage on equal terms. Against enemy admirals with the proper skills, even 2v1 my frigates are losing against what should be inferior enemies, as those enemies also have a 20% speed bonus that I've lost and a 20% range penalty in their favor.

Still early days in terms of playing, so this is very off the top of the head impressions!

Appreciate the feedback, definitely keeping an eye on it!

I just want to say that I'm once again having a grand time with this game. I don't have that many opportunities to play atm, and when I find one I play pretty slowly and inefficiently. But between the intriguing story pieces, exciting exploration and rejuvenated combat, I'm really losing myself in the game when I play. That's rare nowadays. I know this is not my usual differentiated feedback, which might come later, I just wanted to say: Thank you, Alex.

Thank you! :D :D :D That really makes me happy.

Zaizai

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: March 29, 2021, 04:09:19 PM »

The update has been a blast so far, been playing no-stop for hours without even sleeping! 
But there's something that bugs me to no end: 
Whenever a planet is about to decivilize, i get a tooltip: "if nothing is done, x is going to decivilize!", so I'm like, oh no! I better go help! i wouldn't want that place to decivilize forever for whatever reason! 
So I go there but before reaching my destination, after just a few days, It's already too late. 
Why even tell me "if nothing is done"? it's like teasing me this amazing planet saving gameplay where i get to sell overpriced goods or something, but it doesn't let me play. 
Wouldn't it be better if there was at least a countdown? "Umbria will decivilize in 100 days if nothing is done", then something does get done and it's like "Umbria will decivilize in 200 days", until it doesn't decivilize anymore. 
It's a small thing in the grand scheme of things, but it would add some meaningful gameplay with consequences (not helping means the place is going to decivilize). 

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: March 29, 2021, 04:58:07 PM »

It's a fair point. That's definitely something that *could* be a fun/interesting thing but currently there isn't very much there at all.

DonationBox

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: March 29, 2021, 05:18:56 PM »

Hi Alex, I have a question regarding how deployment points are distributed at the beginning of a battle. It seems that I am always "greatly outnumbered" with 160/400 deployment points even with a max-size fleet with 2 capitals, 5 cruisers, 6 destroyers and 6 frigates, plus eight officers. This occurs against fleets of the same size or even slightly smaller.

Zaizai

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: March 29, 2021, 05:20:06 PM »

Little bug: The colony supply quest (every month produce at least x resource) 
Every month i get the notification that i successfully completed the assignment and that my relations increased by 5. 
Problem is that it's been a few months and while i get this message, the relations with that person are still at 5/100. Not sure about the money, I'm swimming in cash so I didn't check

frozentoes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: March 29, 2021, 05:55:45 PM »

Every month i get the notification that i successfully completed the assignment and that my relations increased by 5. 
Problem is that it's been a few months and while i get this message, the relations with that person are still at 5/100. Not sure about the money, I'm swimming in cash so I didn't check

I got a completion notification for this at one point, but now I can't seem to track down whether I'm actually getting paid. Should it show up in budget? The quest said something like 'Congratulations! You've completed it! You will get paid for 0 remaining months' but I had just freshly completed it... very confused what happened.

HiddenPorpoise

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: March 29, 2021, 06:00:35 PM »

A reliable crash snuck through the hotfixes. Clicking on "Sinking the Bismar" will crash the game and throw a fatal error when it tries to load the Hyperion.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: March 29, 2021, 06:06:29 PM »

I got a completion notification for this at one point, but now I can't seem to track down whether I'm actually getting paid. Should it show up in budget? The quest said something like 'Congratulations! You've completed it! You will get paid for 0 remaining months' but I had just freshly completed it... very confused what happened.

Thanks for the report(s)! Made a note to check this all out.

A reliable crash snuck through the hotfixes. Clicking on "Sinking the Bismar" will crash the game and throw a fatal error when it tries to load the Hyperion.

Ah - please see this thread:
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=20104.0

Hi Alex, I have a question regarding how deployment points are distributed at the beginning of a battle. It seems that I am always "greatly outnumbered" with 160/400 deployment points even with a max-size fleet with 2 capitals, 5 cruisers, 6 destroyers and 6 frigates, plus eight officers. This occurs against fleets of the same size or even slightly smaller.

The tootlip over the deployment points bar describes how it works in detail. Briefly, it's mostly based on officers and officer quality; ships factor in only a little bit. But capturing objectives will let you make up the difference.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: March 29, 2021, 06:17:16 PM »

I just built my first colony, and I am examining the menu of structures and industries to see what improvements will do (since I may not have Industrial Planning to bump production to self-sufficiency levels), and they look like a massive story point sink.

Just two story points for the first improvement, and no bonus story xp.

BGrey

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: March 29, 2021, 09:41:54 PM »

I got a jungle world in Duzakh, not that I'm complaining...

Also could not find the enemy for a bounty mission from a bar against a pirate, it was a small system as well so I'm not sure I could have missed it.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: March 30, 2021, 01:17:46 AM »

The tootlip over the deployment points bar describes how it works in detail. Briefly, it's mostly based on officers and officer quality; ships factor in only a little bit. But capturing objectives will let you make up the difference.

There's always lots of questions about deployment points, a simple rule might be good for new player understanding. Maybe this could be simplified if the player just got 40% and then used objectives to boost it? "Tactical maneuvers required?" I haven't reached spoilers yet so maybe it doesn't apply there, but otherwise I'm capped at 40% all the time.

Awe

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: March 30, 2021, 01:22:00 AM »

Wow. Just found Coronal Hypershunt and its guardians.  :'( New end-game threat, yay.  ;D

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: March 30, 2021, 01:29:39 AM »

Contact reputation decay is too fast

Huh? AFAIK there's no rep decay.
Haven't had a chance to test this in RC11 yet, but I noticed that the story-offered Hegemony contact on Caotl(?) does seem to have an issue where his relationship decays for unknown reasons. I've done at least one bounty mission and bought a surplus Hammerhead from him, but his relationship is currently at 0.

For the record this doesn't seem to be an issue related to losing standing with the contact's faction, as I initially thought - neither my independent or pirates contacts cared about me getting dinged points for getting caught selling to the black market wholesale and doing everything in my power to squeeze every last possible credit out of them no matter how much death and mayhem I caused, respectively.

Yeah, colonies has been nerfed a bit too much, I think, at least the early stages. Unless a planet has 125% or less hazard rating it's pretty much not going to grow without hazard pay, and unless a planet is godlike in terms of it's profitability it's going to be bleeding tens of thousands of credits if it offers hazard pay, to say nothing of the cost of hiring an administrator. It's interesting, and kind of annoying, that it's not the threat of pirates that's keeping me from exploring right now, but the fact that if I don't stick around the core and hunt down every last credit I'm going to go bankrupt.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: March 30, 2021, 01:31:30 AM »

Oh I noticed that the story contact on Coatl doesn't get rep gains either, but wasn't sure if it was decay or some other mechanism. My galatia academy "contact" is getting rep gains as normal, though they are not an official contact in the tab.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: March 30, 2021, 02:22:04 AM »

Stations seem to be somewhat more capable now.
Two examples:
Spoiler
I tried to take a pirate base bounty (for 40k lol) with a pair of cruisers, 4 destroyers and 4 carriers (only 1 of which was a 'proper' carrier). I was expecting it to be fairly straightforward as I've done this plenty before.
I did manage to win, but the only things left on the field were 3 of my 4 carriers. Everything else got crumpled up like used tinfoil. Which was somewhat suprising.
I didn't have any officers at this stage though (that really shouldn't be making this much of a difference).
Definitely 1000% not worth the time or effort now.
I used to use pirate base bounties as springboards to explore the local area which also just happened to pay me, but I don't think I'll bother any more.
[close]
Spoiler
My colony managed to get a bit of attention. The League and Sindria decided to double-team me for daring to export organics (lol), with thier respective visits being only 20 days apart.
Thier fleets were decribed as 'fairly capable' and 'outmatching' my current defences, which were a patrol HQ and a level 1 station.
I was expecting to lose both times.

The League arrived first and thier fleet was 2 champions, 2 falcons plus an assortment of hammerheads and other additonal chaff. Versus the fleet from the pirate 'adventure'.
I won. And far easier than expected given the intel provided.

When the Sindrians arrived they had several falcons and eagles backed by a conquest. I wasn't at all confident, but also was second guessing things quite a bit given the 1st battle.
But the only difficult thing was that damn conquest. Not only was it fitted out 'properly' with an assymetric range-boosted mjolnir loadout so it was quite painful to approach. But it had some crazy speed boost going on so it could flip around almost instantly to face in any direction, and took forever to pin it in the corner of the map so it couldn't scoot about.
One of the most tedious fights I've ever had.

In conclusion: Stations are a land of contrasts.
[close]

E-Burn
Spoiler
Emergency Burn losing it's 'ignore terrain effects' feature has made it significantly less useful.
Storm surfing now always results in supply loss. Annoying but not the end of things, they can be avoided (somewhat).

Getting neutron beamed upon entering a system and instantly losing 100+ supplies is now an instant re-load event.
Eating the fuel cost plus whatever supply damage was done before activating E-Burn was an acceptable loss. Having a non-trivial player activity severely curtailed or even aborted because of rng is not good design.

As it stands, E-Burn is only really useful for avoiding enemies now, so it doesn't see regular use.
Which in turn makes the Containment Procedures skill much less valuable.
[close]

New Items
Spoiler
A very welcome addition!
Not only has the expansion of the item pool reduced the occurance of stacks of more (incredibly "rare") items than you could possibly use.
But some of the abilities they provide are interesting, particularly in how they interact with various other things.
That's not all though...
Having access to these items effectively removes some of the constraints when evaluating colony sites, greatly increasing the potential choices available.

Also, I have a patrol HQ that's spitting out fleets as if it were a military base. This is hillarious/amazing and would have been nice to have for my tagteam event.
[close]

Colonies
Spoiler
The painfully slow growth is actually not that big of a problem.
It's more like insurance as size 3s are totally ignored. So you can, if not outright control when you start facing 'attention' at least have quite a while to prepare for it.
The lower size cap also means the lower growth matters less.
If you want to grow faster there are options, but they will cost you one way or another. This seems fairly well balanced, although there is a strong incentive to run a deficit if you have any growth progress at all so you don't go negative and lose what you've already paid for before you hit the next size.
(Frantically searching for missions to pay for the hazard tax was fairly 'stimulating' lol.)

Being able to spend green points on buildings is p. huge.
This is another avenue that opens up more places as potential colony sites, as you can now arbitarily add +1 to any resources you already have.
[close]
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 02:25:46 AM by Serenitis »
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 146