Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 146

Author Topic: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 595725 times)

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1050 on: March 26, 2021, 09:48:43 PM »

Well, I'm about 3 hours into the first run and I have to say that there's a lot going on that I know I haven't found yet. I've stumbled across a few new colony items but nothing too "out there."

The bar missions are a welcome addition. Not only does it feel like there's 1-3 at just about every colony, I can tell there's very obvious consequences to many of them. Kill a Tri-Tach patrol? Hostile with Tri-Tach. Put a spybot next to Sindria (yeah right!), you'll need stealth. Then there's these weird missions about dropping bio-specimens in the middle of nowhere for decent coin. Surely that's not going to do something sinister, right...? The ones that have bit me so far are the "supply 3 Domestic Goods and I'll pay you monthly." I didn't realize I needed a colony first so those were instant fails. I really don't think those should even be offered until your first colony is up.

Story Points are very interesting. I don't mean to horde them but I had like 16 just floating around because I was accumulating them faster than I felt I had reason to spend them. Recently, I've been adding hullmods to ships and I've used them a time or too to get out of a bad fight but I haven't really leaned into them very hard yet. They still feel precious, despite knowing I'll never "run out."

The skill revamp is quite good, so far. Truly meaningful choices though the Elite Skills aren't quite as punchy as I originally thought. The one at the end of combat (which improves ship systems) has "+30 seconds deployment time." Great for a Frigate, I suppose but I'm already piloting a Fury and I'm still in the early game. I just don't think that "Elite" skill is all that Elite. Also, going back through the whole Combat Tree and grabbing Fighter bonuses (when I will likely never pilot a carrier) feels a little hard to swallow. I'm not sure if should be possible to "skip" skills in a tree using Story Points but I think I'd prefer that over getting skills I know I'll never see much benefit from. I think I understand the rationale but like "empty" Aptitude points in the last patch, it kind of feels empty (even though it isn't).

Btw, the Fury is a nice starter ship. I purchased one from the black market probably 40 minutes into the run and it's been fun. However, I'm discovering its limitations in raw damage output. I have a Ion Pulser and Phase Lance along with a Reaper in the missile and 2 IR Pulse. Maybe if I could find some Heavy Blasters it would open up for me but the damage is very anemic against Ventures and Enforcers. (Enforcers are true bricks now and I love it). I say this because I think the Fury would be a really good "high-tech Fast Start" kind of option with an introductory malus (kind of like when the Scarab was an option and you were hostile with Tri-Tach to start). An undergunned Fury (maybe 1 D-mod), a TT Brawler, a TT Buffalo and a Dram.

Gah, a lot to be proud of here and I've only scratched the surface. The dialogue is great, too. Oh, and the Gates tab...oh my. :)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 09:54:41 PM by FooF »

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: March 26, 2021, 10:02:26 PM »

IT HAS BEGUN.

Grifta

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: March 26, 2021, 10:21:59 PM »

YAS! Just started replaying this on 0.9.1a yesterday!

nilloc93

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: March 26, 2021, 11:09:05 PM »

oh boy I hadn't started a new game in a while and I totally forgot what the non nexerlillian start is lol
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 11:14:42 PM by nilloc93 »

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: March 26, 2021, 11:51:39 PM »

Nice work, congrats!

Can't wait to get stuck into this one!

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: March 26, 2021, 11:54:28 PM »

The .95a hotfix patch note link goes here :http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=15027.0

Instead of well... the thread were in. And if you then click through those links you will get the .91a release and not the .95 hotfix release

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: March 27, 2021, 02:15:51 AM »

Cosmetic issue:
Orbital stations are only displaying thier base on the campaign layer. Modules aren't showing at all.
You can still see the modules on the tooltip though.

Doesn't affect gameplay at all, but it looks odd seeing bare stations.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: March 27, 2021, 02:29:00 AM »

Hello, Alex.
I found a bug that d-mod can be freely removed after closing the Build-in hullmod menu.
Even though I did nothing in that menu.
Encountered this, albeit you have to do built-in a hullmod for this to happen.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

The_Sarge

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: March 27, 2021, 02:56:44 AM »

This update is seriously amazing. It made me hyped to start the game again in a way that no recent "big" game release has. :)

Two possibly stupid questions, though:

1) Weren't we supposed to get a slightly more extensive "Settings" menu, with some toggable graphics settings to tweak in there, or am I mixing this up with some other game? Because I still can only adjust volume levels and about five toggles.

2) Pressing ALT and hovering over items does not sell/buy them any more. Losing this is a shame. :( (And if that was a mod, just ignore this whining!)

Mach56

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: March 27, 2021, 03:01:17 AM »

2) Pressing ALT and hovering over items does not sell/buy them any more. Losing this is a shame. :( (And if that was a mod, just ignore this whining!)
You have to reenable that feature in settings.json.

The_Sarge

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: March 27, 2021, 03:06:58 AM »

You have to reenable that feature in settings.json.

Aaaah, thank you! :)

Ryan390

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: March 27, 2021, 03:42:25 AM »

where's the hotfix link and what does it fix?

Alex has posted a broken link but not replied back with the correct one? Am I imagining that?

It's turning into Cd Projekt red!  :'(

The_Sarge

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: March 27, 2021, 03:56:26 AM »

where's the hotfix link and what does it fix?

Alex has posted a broken link but not replied back with the correct one? Am I imagining that?

It's turning into Cd Projekt red!  :'(

...What?
Alex IMMEDIATELY corrected the link and then said so in this very thread.

As to what's in the hotfix? Look at the very first post. Again, in this very thread.

Farlarzia

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: March 27, 2021, 05:38:52 AM »

Congrats on the release  ;D

One minor discrepency I noticed on the new launcher, is that the antialiasing warning message that pops up states at the end

"Otherwise, use 12 samples or higher".

I believe this should read 2, as I can only see antialiasing options going up to x8.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 05:46:00 AM by Farlarzia »

Shoot powerfull laser

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: March 27, 2021, 06:24:59 AM »

I like the release a lot. Very nice skill system with meaningful choices. Contracts also very fun with a lot of stealth and raiding. But I have a question for Alex and the rest of this thread:

- The bounty contracts: I have taken 3 bounty contracts until now to kill a patrol in a star system. I have been hanging around the star system and all meaningful points (the base planet/station, jump points, nav/comm relay/etc...) for ~100 days but could not find the patrols for all 3 contracts. Am I just unlucky or anyone else experiencing this problem?

Thank you
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 146