Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: [0.95a-RC15] Hullmod Barratry 2.0  (Read 85090 times)

Nextia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
[0.95a-RC15] Hullmod Barratry 2.0
« on: October 08, 2020, 06:33:48 PM »

shh

Download links;

"In admiralty law, barratry is an act of gross misconduct committed by a master or crew of a vessel which damages the vessel or its cargo. These activities may include desertion, illegal scuttling, theft of the ship or cargo, and committing any actions which may not be in the shipowner's best interests.

Barratry is usually considered a crime against the ship's owner. Therefore, if the owner himself chooses to wreck the ship, no crime is committed, as the owner simply destroyed his own property, though this can still be considered a crime against any other owners. Also, harm to the crew can qualify as barratry regardless of who damaged the vessel."

Now that little shpiel is out the way, hopefully you're less (or more) confused behind what barratry involves. Hullmod Barratry adds the option to be able to apply V-Mods (Vandal mods) to your ship hull on purpose, which are halved drawbacks/benefits counterparts of the base game D-Mods. Gaining D-Mods to your ships is a mixed bag depending on your play style, but some players, such as myself, try to make as much use out of the benifits that come with them. You'll also be pleased probably to know that cross-mod funkyness with HMI junker ships and their OP increasing effect isn't a thing with V-Mods. Sorry!

Intentionally obtaining these hullmods has always been tedious in my eyes, having your ships blow up over and over, or painstakingly searching for and buying the hull you want that happens to have maybe one or two mods already existing. So, I set out to make a system that's slightly easier to abuse utilise. Visit any station that has a working spaceport and navigate to the hullmod menu in the refit screen. Then for instance, ask that the big burly guys with hammers come and beat the hell out of your flight deck for a bit and voilà!

Obtaining the hullmods:
Spoiler
[close]

To keep relevance in the base game's D-Mods, if you have a V-Mod equipped on your ship and that ship happens to blow up and gain the counterpart hullmod, the V-Mod will be removed and replaced with it. Afterwards just remove the conflict hullmod and you're golden. Unfortunately damage mods are no longer removable, that can only be done with V-Mods, as the workers that damaged it feel bad for you and just pay for the repair fees off their own backs!

Existing V/D-Mods:
Spoiler
[close]

Specialty V-Mods such as Lethargic Phase Module can also only be applied to, obviously, phase type ships, and the same goes for the carrier/civlian mods too.

This mod also adds a cosmetic type of damage mod called Scuff-Mods, which basically do what they say on the tin. Add them to your hull for that D-Mod feel without any of the stat changes!

Scuff-Mods:
Spoiler
[close]

And that's about it for now! Do feel free to suggest features to add to this if you feel it would fit along side the theme as I am always looking for ideas to improve upon.

Credit to the idea of using Barratry goes to TauKinth and his late night thoughts, along with many others for aiding me in this scrap heap  ::)

Credit for the banner's background at the top of the OP goes to Unknown Skies by Tartiflette

Looking for the Maintenance Revamp hullmods? They've now been split into a side mini-mod to keep them seperate from the mainstay, and will stay here for people still interested!
Check out the spoiler below for more info.

Spoiler

This mini-mod comes with a few custom maintenence cost reduction hullmods costing 0 OP to apply. This is 100% intentional, as I've wanted to be able to balance supply usage myself on a ship-by-ship basis, and now you can too! Self-moderation required for every hullmod here of course. Comes in tiers of 30%, 50%, 75% and 95% and only one variety can be installed at one time (includes vanilla Efficiency Overhaul in the limitations). Now includes two new mods, Drive Field Stabiliser EX for when you want to go on a cruise, and High Res Sensors EX made to streamline deep sector scavving.

Efficiency Revamp:
[close]

« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 11:00:17 PM by Nextia »

Manually applicable D-Mod-like-hullmods, for when blowing ships to hell isn't fast enough

DubTre6

• Commander
  • Tri-Tachyon Agricultural Rep.
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Hullmod Barratry 1.0a
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 12:57:07 PM »

I love this mod in theory, but the supply cost reducing mods seem a little excessive, any chance you split these up into two mods?
8) why fight the paragon when you can BE the paragon 8)

Nextia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 02:07:59 PM »

I love this mod in theory, but the supply cost reducing mods seem a little excessive, any chance you split these up into two mods?

I was actually debating on doing that anyway, since I can understand that both concepts don't really fit eachother. Give me a few and I'll have it ready to go.

Manually applicable D-Mod-like-hullmods, for when blowing ships to hell isn't fast enough

Nextia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Hullmod Barratry 1.1
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 03:06:38 PM »

Hullmod Barratry - Update 1.1

Download links-

Project has been split into two separate mods, with the Efficiency Revamp hullmods having been separated from here. DL for both mods will still be here (with the new mini-mod Efficiency Rebalancers download in the spoiler at the bottom of the original post), and the old merged mod still exists for people that want it too on the Github as version 1.0a Release.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 03:22:12 PM by Nextia »

Chairman Suryasari

• Captain
  • The Deployer of John Lennon's.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 04:19:05 PM »

Sorry for asking too much but can you make a cosmetic only mod? So i can have D-mods look without actually having a downside for my ships, i always love the way d-mods look, just not really like the pinalty it have. Thanks in advance! Love your work  ;D
"Kids under 13 shouldn't have access to the internet. if 10yo me were on tumblr and read about suicide and depression 5 hours a day, every day, god knows i would jump off a bridge if my parents ever yell at me."

-Some random Youtube comment on video about Sonic OC.

Nextia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 04:35:11 PM »

Sorry for asking too much but can you make a cosmetic only mod? So i can have D-mods look without actually having a downside for my ships, i always love the way d-mods look, just not really like the pinalty it have. Thanks in advance! Love your work  ;D

Sounds like an interesting addition to have in, hadn't thought about that but it should be pretty easy to implement. Got some spare time on sunday to take a look at that so stay tuned.

Farya

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 12:45:53 PM »

You should probably add brand new modular d-mods that act the same as normal d-mods but with halved penalties/benefits.
Like Defective Manufactory -> Manual fighter assembly or Increased Maintenance -> Re-used grease or something like that. Basically rather then damaging your ship, your engineers would instead simplify/downgrade it's systems or use improper yet cheaper supplies required for maintanance. In case of crew capacity hull mods it could be something memey like air dumped from non-essential areas and passageways - only bridge and living areas for skeleton crew are pressurised.

Nextia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 04:20:12 PM »

You should probably add brand new modular d-mods that act the same as normal d-mods but with halved penalties/benefits.
Like Defective Manufactory -> Manual fighter assembly or Increased Maintenance -> Re-used grease or something like that. Basically rather then damaging your ship, your engineers would instead simplify/downgrade it's systems or use improper yet cheaper supplies required for maintanance. In case of crew capacity hull mods it could be something memey like air dumped from non-essential areas and passageways - only bridge and living areas for skeleton crew are pressurised.

This is also something I've been working on for a release eventually, since having it be the vanilla D-Mods seems like a rush job to me. Been working out some kinks with having the new hullmods be compatable along side the base games ones, so expect to see this idea come to fruition sometime soon  ::)

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 01:03:28 PM »

Some observations which may or may not be worth looking at:

The D-mods seem to be flagged as 'player can obtain/own', which in fairness they probably need to have in order to be useable.
This however makes the Dmods appear in loot drops as modspecs, which is going to negatively impact the drop rates of 'legit' ones.
Not sure if you can even do anything about this without breaking it entirely.

It is possible to apply civilian mods to military ships & vice-versa, thus giving you several 'no downside' options.
This is particularly noticeable for civilian ships, which can load up on Dmods which are entirely irrelevant for them.

Just in case anyone had any doubts about what kind of nonsense this mod enables, please consider the following:
Spoiler

Spoiler

I love this mod.
[close]
[close]

Nextia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Hullmod Barratry 1.3
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 01:31:47 PM »

Hullmod Barratry - Update 1.3

Download links-

Mod has been redone from the ground up. Can no longer apply vanilla D-Mods manually but have instead been replaced with custom V-Mods (Vandal Mods) with halved drawbacks/benefits. Also added cosmetic damage mods called S-Mods (Scuffed mods). Updated OP to reflect new changes so make sure to check it out!

« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 01:43:59 PM by Nextia »

Nextia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2020, 01:35:48 PM »

Some observations which may or may not be worth looking at:

The D-mods seem to be flagged as 'player can obtain/own', which in fairness they probably need to have in order to be useable.
This however makes the Dmods appear in loot drops as modspecs, which is going to negatively impact the drop rates of 'legit' ones.
Not sure if you can even do anything about this without breaking it entirely.

It is possible to apply civilian mods to military ships & vice-versa, thus giving you several 'no downside' options.
This is particularly noticeable for civilian ships, which can load up on Dmods which are entirely irrelevant for them.

Just in case anyone had any doubts about what kind of nonsense this mod enables, please consider the following:
Spoiler

Spoiler

I love this mod.
[close]
[close]

I take it you have an old version of the mod then? I had removed the maintenance hullmods a few days ago since I, along with a few others, felt like they didn't fit. Also in regards to finding blueprints for the hullmods, I don't think that should be an issue. They're set to be known by default from the get go and I'm fairly certain you have to go out of your way and actually make the BP's for them, which I haven't.

Glad you like the mod though ; )
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 01:43:30 PM by Nextia »

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 07:29:06 AM »

I take it you have an old version of the mod then? I had removed the maintenance hullmods a few days ago since I, along with a few others, felt like they didn't fit.
That ridiculous ship is what happens when you add every available (vanilla) Dmod to something, along with having industry skills. (Used v1.1, after the split.)
Zombie ships are genuinely that cheap, but you hardly ever see stuff that broken because deliberately wrecking stuff, and then winning the fight so you can recover it is a huge chore.
The costs could possibly be halved again if I could add all the Dmods that other mods add.

INDUSTRY STRONK

For ref, with all the new mods that same ship looks like this:
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 07:54:00 AM by Serenitis »

DubTre6

• Commander
  • Tri-Tachyon Agricultural Rep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2020, 08:09:36 AM »

I was actually debating on doing that anyway, since I can understand that both concepts don't really fit eachother. Give me a few and I'll have it ready to go.

Great minds think alike as they say ;D
8) why fight the paragon when you can BE the paragon 8)

Nextia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2020, 08:12:31 AM »

That ridiculous ship is what happens when you add every available (vanilla) Dmod to something, along with having industry skills. (Used v1.1, after the split.)
Zombie ships are genuinely that cheap, but you hardly ever see stuff that broken because deliberately wrecking stuff, and then winning the fight so you can recover it is a huge chore.
The costs could possibly be halved again if I could add all the Dmods that other mods add

Ah, I had assumed you were still talking about the other hullmods, but now it makes sense. I think what they are currently is alright (although still quite mental), it’s a better alternative than before  ::)

I’m fairly happy with how they fit for the mean time so just have fun with them.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 06:37:18 PM by Nextia »

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Hullmod Barratry 1.3
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2020, 09:00:38 AM »

This might be something unintended though...

Spoiler
[close]
This is a ship which is for sale in a market.
It has your new mods applied to it as part of the procgen (which is cool), but:
  • The mods aren't being marked as (D) in orange - not necessarily a big deal
  • The mods don't seem to be respecting compatibility - the example above is a carrier with a phase mod

If you can get your mods to apply to only the same kinds of ship the mods apply to in vanilla, you've p. much cracked it.

[edit]
Also, the new mods don't appear to be affecting the recovery costs, just the maint. costs. Is this intentional?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 09:28:24 AM by Serenitis »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4