Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Flares should be usable during venting and overload  (Read 1183 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Flares should be usable during venting and overload
« on: October 08, 2020, 07:03:19 AM »

Passive and active flares are the two weakest ship system and very redundant with PD weapons. Most of the time I actually forget using them when they are on my flagship. But being able to use them while the main defense against missiles is out of action would transform them from the bottom of the barrel into a very useful (although still weak) ship system.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Flares should be usable during venting and overload
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 07:19:04 AM »

Normal flares are bad, especially since they have ammo unlike active flares.

Active flares are nice, especially on Apogee that has weird mounts.  Since I like pulse lasers on the side to pop enemy fighters and frigates, that leaves active flares for anti-missile, and I do spam active flares frequently while piloting Apogee.

While using them during vent or overload would be nice, it would be strange if flares could be used but not PD weapons like flak.  Also, active flares generate flux, which makes spamming them not a good idea at times.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 08:00:13 AM »

If flares had regening ammo they would be okay. As-is they are terrible.

I agree with Megas, active flares are nice.

SaberCherry

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 06:14:26 PM »

Passive and active flares are the two weakest ship system and very redundant with PD weapons. Most of the time I actually forget using them when they are on my flagship. But being able to use them while the main defense against missiles is out of action would transform them from the bottom of the barrel into a very useful (although still weak) ship system.
I disagree and think when a ship is overfluxed, that means its systems are broken, and it should not be able to do anything.  Mobility is a generous acquiescence to the fact that it's irritating to pilot a ship over which you have no control.  But being able to use a ship's specials when overfluxed makes no sense.  You overloaded your ship's electrical systems and people are scrambling to repair them.  Everything is broken.  Should you be able to warp? Reload missiles? Shoot EMP bolts?  No.  You should be unable to do anything until your systems are repaired, and the ability to maneuver is generous.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 06:43:20 PM »

Flares are explicitly an emergency, defensive-only system and already quite weak. Letting them be used for the one situation where they could actually be okay - when the ship is overloaded - would be perfectly fine.

rokenx2

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 02:48:16 PM »

i like the idea i also kinda wish there was a flare launcher you could add.. like a small ballistic slot or something as for the ammo count.. i think ammo should be on a slider where more ammo costs more OP and perhaps a "ammo 3d printer" ship mod that let ammo slowly regen

SaberCherry

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 03:25:14 PM »

Flares are explicitly an emergency, defensive-only system and already quite weak. Letting them be used for the one situation where they could actually be okay - when the ship is overloaded - would be perfectly fine.
OK, so where does it stop?  Why not other special systems?

The current rules are clear - when overfluxed/venting, you can't do anything except maneuver.  It's very easy to understand.  What's being proposed would make flares a special citizen who is better than any other ship system, with unique rules.  I can't imagine a scenario where that would be a good idea.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2020, 07:31:04 PM »

It stops at the flares? Not other special systems because they're not flares and are already good and also mostly offensive not an underpowered emergency defense button?

SaberCherry

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2020, 08:33:41 PM »

i like the idea i also kinda wish there was a flare launcher you could add.. like a small ballistic slot or something as for the ammo count.. i think ammo should be on a slider where more ammo costs more OP and perhaps a "ammo 3d printer" ship mod that let ammo slowly regen
Well, there are mods for that. Limited ammo, and doesn't regen though.  But at 1 OP, it's pretty handy.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2020, 12:38:11 AM »

The current rules are clear - when overfluxed/venting, you can't do anything except maneuver.  It's very easy to understand.  What's being proposed would make flares a special citizen who is better than any other ship system, with unique rules.  I can't imagine a scenario where that would be a good idea.

players already accept the ship being capable of launching its command shuttle while venting or overloaded without it causing riots in the street.
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then