Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Ruins in core systems now start out as explored. What do you do instead?  (Read 1679 times)

Kpop

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Just wanna discuss this particular part of the patch notes. It's interesting for sure but that was easily my go-to strategy to get off my feet and find some special goodies on a fresh start. Definitely will slow down my progression into the mid game a lot which is fine since I don't spend much time in the early game because of that if I get some good finds.

I've of course tried bounty hunting minor marks, trading can be profitable but I never rely on it and only really make use of it when I noticed a planet has recently been raided and has shortages of literally everything so I can make a quick and big buck going to another planet in the same system and selling stuff off. Exploration contracts can be annoying though and the money isn't that great generally.

That all pales in comparison to the fact I usually get run down by laughably weak pirate fleets only to fight them and realize my fleet is even worse, and can't outrun them either. Oof.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Ruins in core systems now start out as explored. What do you do instead?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 06:16:34 PM »

Same as usual for me.  I do not loot core systems' ruins.  I save them as emergency funds.

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 05:05:10 AM »

Presumably the new Contacts mechanic will provide a steady stream of profitable work that your fleet is actually capable of, whether that's bounty hunting or trade missions.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 07:16:53 AM »

Eh. I'll just jump right into bounties now I won't have the tempting loose ends to harvest.

Will likely still be worth checking the 3 'empty' core systems though, as they all have procgen conditions & are different every game.

Tempest

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 11:09:11 AM »

I never explored those anyway.

My starting strategies involve mostly smuggling and salvaging free ships. Taking that Tri-tachyon loan is also an option if you just want a faster progression.

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 03:01:34 PM »

I didn't even realize there were explorable planets in the core.  I suppose that means nothing's changing for me.

DancingMonkey

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 07:08:53 AM »

Never used them anyways cause I thought it was weird and it seems Alex thought it was weird too.