Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Colony/Faction Management: Politics+ (update idea/mod idea)  (Read 441 times)

desmonddeveraux

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Colony/Faction Management: Politics+ (update idea/mod idea)
« on: October 05, 2020, 02:06:52 PM »

Hi there :)
I've got no modding/game dev experience, but I love this game and thought why not share an idea (or a few)

I think it would be cool if political power would grow along with the economic growth of a player colony(s)/faction which would allow the player to essentially play more politics - the other factions do it already (in a way) - Hegemony have ai core inspection, Heg and LC harass open ports, etc - would be cool if the player could have an ideology of their own that would actually impact the other factions somewhat. Not necessarily in a way where you chose a specific set of predefined views that affect gameplay, but simply have access to tools that allow you to do so:

some examples:
1. the ability to impose sanctions - being able to bar exports from your faction to a specific faction for a certain commodity, especially if you hold a major market share. naturally this would reduce player income/relations with sanctioned faction, but could cripple their economy to an extent if high dependency on player exports and force sanctioned faction to buy at a premium from other factions.
2. the ability to form trade agreements (or essentially manipulate market) - player can reduce tariffs for a specific commodity for a specific faction so = less income but more trade as a result - would be used as a tool for increasing market share (kind of mirrors the "open market" status for colonies where improved pop-growth for reduced stability)
3. the ability to place bounties on Pirates/LP for non-player mercs to take on (naturally at a cost, the higher the bounty, the sooner the pestilence is dealt with) - could be especially useful early-colony set-up when colony fleets aren't necessarily strong. could also act as a useful tool later on for less micromanagement.
4. building a commerce industry introduces a commodities exchange along with an open market - pleeease! :) if I had any modding experience/knowledge I'd seriously make this myself - should just track average core world price per commodity in real time and have a tab like "open market" or "black market" but "exchange" with historical price data - where contracts for commodities are bought instead of physical commodities. Naturally if prev mentioned points 1, 2 would be used by other factions as well this could make for a cool trading minigame that i think would coincide well with the already opportunistic nature of starsector. Doesn't have to just be commodities even - imagine having a pirate index which tracks (drops/falls along with) pirate activity through the sector... oh boy.
5. Political in-game events affect prices - coincides with point 4 above, but would be cool if already existing game conditions would impact supply/demand - ie: "hostilities" would increase demand for marines/ship hulls/heavy armaments for the conflicting factions.

notes: the above may sound quite OP, so of course the effectiveness for 1, 2, 3, 5 would depend on player level of political power - could be calculated as a sum of several factors ie income/territory/colony size/# of colonies/mkt share/military power/existence of player colony in core worlds (y/n) etc.

thanks for coming to my ted talk
much love
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 02:11:44 PM by desmonddeveraux »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Colony/Faction Management: Politics+ (update idea/mod idea)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 03:35:44 PM »

3. the ability to place bounties on Pirates/LP for non-player mercs to take on (naturally at a cost, the higher the bounty, the sooner the pestilence is dealt with) - could be especially useful early-colony set-up when colony fleets aren't necessarily strong. could also act as a useful tool later on for less micromanagement.
This would be nice for "I don't have time to deal with you!" moments or "I am tired of the constant whack-a-mole pirates, and I want time off to explore and do special quest stuff instead of constantly save core worlds from disaster."

I would also like to send extermination fleets to sat bomb core worlds until reduced to smoking ruins.