Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Career paths  (Read 3095 times)

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
Career paths
« on: June 13, 2011, 09:41:28 AM »

Hey guys! In order to provide some potential feedback for the career / campaign mode of the game while it is still in the design stages, I decided to write this brief but hopefully helpful suggestion. The following are some career / campaign paths that players (and perhaps AI?) could follow to really bring the game world alive and provide a substantial amount of replay value:

• Bounty Hunter: players can accept contracts to hunt down fugitives. Simple but fun. Providing a ranking for bounty hunters could add even more depth to the career path.
  • Mercenary/Soldier: players can enroll in a nation's military and get paid a regular wage in return for participating in wars / peace efforts.
  • Trader: buy low, sell high! Hire more ships to trade more and make money more quickly.
  • Miner: work those asteroids and sell the ore. Not particularly an amazing job, but it does pay the bills if you need some cash. Not to mention ore allows for the manufacturing of ship parts and goods.
  • Entrepreneur: create your own corporation and compete with others in the game. Corporations can engage in any of the 'career paths' (provide bounty hunter service, mine, mercenaries, trade, manufacturing, research, etc). giving corporations a reputation could make add even further depth.
  • Pirate: raid trade ships and out posts. Live life as a fugitive and fight off bounty hunters.
  • Criminal Overlord: like the entrepreneur, only on the wrong side of the law, the Criminal Overlord can establish a criminal empire that can manufacture, raid, mine, research, sell illegal goods, partake in slavery, etc. Nothing better than sending others to do your dirty work.
  • Revolutionary: want Starfarer to really push the envelope? Allow players to establish their own governments and empires. Allow them to claim space, select their own laws and policies (from a set list), build their own military, compete with other nations and everything else expected of such a position.

Mercurio

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Career paths
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 01:57:22 PM »

As long as you don't have to pick a certain career path upon starting a new campaign, and then having to stick with it for the rest of the game, I'm fine with it..

However, there should be a logical way to be able to switch careers... If youre an infamous pirate it should be hard to become a soldier for a faction that hates you for raiding them. Though you should'nt have trouble to get enlisted in the army of their enemies.

I know theres going to be a reputation system and I'm thinking of something like Freelancer did, so it would be great if you had job-related skills that aren't linked to any reputation or career path skill or whatever. If I'm a hideous pirate I might wanna start mining to produce my own ships or weapons or whatnot, or I might want to start trading to launder (gain more) money..

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Career paths
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 02:00:54 PM »

Oh yeah, I was in no suggesting explicit definitions that the player is forced to select once and then follow. I was talking about options that are freely available to the player throughout the sandbox world.