Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: how to increase battle size past 500?  (Read 20210 times)

giganticats

• Ensign
    • View Profile
how to increase battle size past 500?
« on: October 01, 2020, 10:27:42 AM »

so even with maximum ships on the screen using every single point my game runs like butter ever since is turned off graphic lib shaders, i wana see how far i can take this game again before it starts to slow down, does anyone know how to go into the game config and increase the battle size?

(or lower the max enemy battle points because i keep getting destroyed by huge remnant fleets and i can only use like 150 battle points)

Anduin1357

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: how to increase battle size past 500?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 11:19:34 AM »

..\Starsector\starsector-core\data\config\settings.json

Lines 528 ... 531

Code
	"minBattleSize":150, # in supplies-to-recover. min value for settings slider
"defaultBattleSize":350, # in supplies-to-recover. starting value for settings slider
"maxBattleSize":500, # in supplies-to-recover. max value for settings slider <--- change this
"stationDeploymentBonusMult":2, # battlesize is increased by (station cost * this) deployment points

There is no way to lower the enemy deployment points other than simply getting a larger fleet.

For that,

Lines 481 ... 482
Code
	"maxShipsInFleet":50,
"maxShipsInAIFleet":50,
Change those and

Lines 463 ... 466

Code
	"crewSalary":__, # credits per crew per month
"marineSalary":__, # credits per marine per month
"officerSalaryBase":__, # per officer per month
"officerSalaryPerLevel":__, # per officer per month per level

If increased fleet upkeep is an issue for you.

Note that as total deployment points approach ~4000, or should many entities such as missiles, strike craft, or projectiles be present on the field, the fps may tend to 1 fps due to the single-core CPU bottleneck.

Also, your ships will enter the field in a 5-ship wide column, and you may find that capital ships such as the Astral-class supercarrier may not be able to meet the enemy if not deployed first.
In any case, expect all vs all fleet battles to take upwards of 5 hours to complete. Do rely on autopilot, by pressing 'U', if your flagship is deployed.

I suggest that you prepare your fleet composition to rely less on direct firepower, as there will not be many opportunities to fire upon the enemy with a clear line of sight. Your ships will pile up into a WWI style line. Use carriers and missiles, and spread your ships out using the defend order.

Good luck and have fun!

giganticats

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 12:02:03 PM »

thanks!

yeahbutbttv

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 06:16:06 PM »

Maybe a necropost, but I think that this might be relevant to the topic at hand, I am using an online json editor, and cannot find the "minbattlesize" and other text at the lines that are showed. I have looked through the settings.json file, and cannot find anything relating to battlesize. I realize that this was posted in 2020, so it might be in a different folder by now.

WeiTuLo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 06:20:22 PM »

Lines 693-697:

"minBattleSize":200, # in supplies-to-recover. min value for settings slider
   "defaultBattleSize":300, # in supplies-to-recover. starting value for settings slider
   "maxBattleSize":400, # in supplies-to-recover. max value for settings slider
   "stationDeploymentBonusMult":1, # battlesize is increased by (station cost * this) deployment points
   "minFractionOfBattleSizeForSmallerSide":0.4,

nocluewhatimdoing

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 05:36:41 AM »

I shouldn't really be surprised that StarSector is heavily single-threaded, but that's extremely disappointing, no wonder the game tanks when there's a decent battle going on