Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21

Author Topic: [0.96a-RC10] The Star Federation v0.99-RC5 - Inspired by FTL (5/23/23)  (Read 329840 times)

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] The Star Federation v0.97.33 - Inspired by FTL (4/5/2022)
« Reply #195 on: July 27, 2022, 08:29:18 PM »

This is a well done and relatively balanced (by the standards of Starsector mods anyway, lol) faction mod.   It's currently the only faction mod I really genuinely like, and the lore has been adapted to fit fairly well into the game as well.   It makes for a fun addition to NEX.

Thank you! I'm giving most Federation ships a +100 range bonus to energy next patch, let's see if that doesn't ruin everything.

Digganob

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 02, 2022, 01:58:46 AM »

Hey, why is there a pirate logo in the ships graphics folder?

Pirate skins for federation ships incoming?

Digganob

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 05, 2022, 10:50:30 PM »

Hold on, actually, would there be a simple way to implement some pirate skins for the federation faction ships? Cus' if you wouldn't want to, I'd be happy to add some of my own, just for myself, even if I'd have to go and make new skins. It should be fairly easy to make them, considering all I'd be doing is painting them in pirate colors.

Sedrido

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 11, 2022, 07:41:23 PM »

really like the mod so far but i have a suggestion for an ability change for the basilisk. give it a close range (500~) F ability called boarding teleporter allowing it to cause a slight amount of direct hull damage aswell as a moderate amount of emp damage through shields over its duration (lets say 10 seconds or so) perhaps at a cost to its own fire rate and repair speed. it would really give that mantis feel to it i think  ;D

no_u

• Ensign
  • its reaper time
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 13, 2022, 03:23:42 AM »

So far I really enjoyed the mod especially the perservance (which is one of the ships we see in the rebel fleet in ftl ) so I thought if you could add the other varient too as battle cruiser
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 09:12:59 AM by no_u »

Digganob

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 14, 2022, 02:15:24 AM »

really like the mod so far but i have a suggestion for an ability change for the basilisk. give it a close range (500~) F ability called boarding teleporter allowing it to cause a slight amount of direct hull damage aswell as a moderate amount of emp damage through shields over its duration (lets say 10 seconds or so) perhaps at a cost to its own fire rate and repair speed. it would really give that mantis feel to it i think  ;D

I really like this idea. I think a simple EMP hit that goes through shields would do. Could be like an invisible projectile, if that's possible.

Although, the classic strat in FTL is to hit the shields immediately with boarders. Maybe it could have a shield-disabling ability? Perhaps that's too powerful.

Digganob

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 14, 2022, 01:52:48 PM »

It wouldn’t be too hard to make a system that temporarily raises the chances of things like shield, weapon, or engine malfunctions; since that’s effectively what FTL boarders do, mess with a targeted ship’s systems.

Have the system pick which to mess with randomly on activation, increase the malfunction chance by X percent while active, then deactivate.

!

Great idea.

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 14, 2022, 06:07:53 PM »

"Perhaps"
[close]

RE: the boarding discourse,

I have concepts. I want to keep the uniqueness of their shipsystems without turning them into "Press F to Slightly Inconvenience". Probably has something to do with boarding pods which are fired like missiles, but are fighters with missile AIs. They'd temporarily lower CR when directly "hitting" hull or getting close enough to teleport a payload, which could theoretically bring a ship down to sub-30 CR and start critical malfunctions.

Digganob

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 16, 2022, 01:30:13 AM »

"Perhaps"
[close]

I have concepts. I want to keep the uniqueness of their shipsystems without turning them into "Press F to Slightly Inconvenience". Probably has something to do with boarding pods which are fired like missiles, but are fighters with missile AIs. They'd temporarily lower CR when directly "hitting" hull or getting close enough to teleport a payload, which could theoretically bring a ship down to sub-30 CR and start critical malfunctions.

Those look really cool! I like how you're keeping the random stripes of paint from the FTL pirates, I always thought that slap-dash look was great for them, it really looks like they just boarded and captured the ships, and they're just painting them to make it clear they're pirates, not trying some silly design or pattern, just a trademark purple or red paint.

Also, boarding pods as a missile weapon would be so cool! I always thought combat boarding is one of the only things that Starsector was really missing in its combat, and it's so doable too! I'm glad that you're considering making something like that possible. The temporary lowering of CR is a really good idea, it utilizes an already-made game mechanic to get the desired effect. I suppose, maybe the CR decrease could depend on the number of boarding pods that "hit," versus the crew capacity of the enemy ship?

ApogeeSys

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 22, 2022, 02:31:48 PM »

That's a good idea, but I feel like crew count and especially the presence of marines would reasonably play some role in boarding damage calculations. The game already has crew loss from combat damage as a mechanic, you could possibly lean into that to make boarding particularly destructive to enemy crew. At least you could handwave the logistics of deploying your own marines onto a ship (and therefore sucking up crew/marines from the attacking ship) by making them boarding drones instead of human personnel.

BlasingIce

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 12, 2022, 06:24:24 AM »

Rotary Assault Gun shows it's DPS and FPS incorrectly due to corrupted refire delay
Picture doesn't load, here's the link: https://i.ibb.co/dGxXRjh/screenshot000.png

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 14, 2022, 02:34:26 PM »

-7 new ships!
  -Rebellion unleashes a wave of destruction with Power Surge!
  -Balance changes galore!
  -Rewrote lots of text!
  -The Federation Star System will appear in existing saves!
  -Derelicts will spawn too!
  -Lots of other stuff I probably forgot to write down!

Download and full-ish changelog in the main post.

Digganob

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 15, 2022, 11:57:03 PM »

AWESOME update! I really like the new variants added, the art is very well done!

Do you think you'll add more pirate variants? Specifically, for some of the cruisers? One of my favorite ships was always the Kestrel C with its pirate colors, also the Fed Cruiser C with its red and black. Regardless, I'm glad we can now see some pirates using FTL ships, very nostalgic.

Also, quick question, what does "breaks saves" mean precisely? Could I update the mod and go back to a save where I haven't significantly interacted with the Star Federation, and everything (except for market changes) be updated just fine? Or what?

If it REALLY messes with saves, I'll be sad to have to start over my current run, but I couldn't live without these new additions, they're really cool!

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 16, 2022, 12:33:45 AM »

If it REALLY messes with saves, I'll be sad to have to start over my current run, but I couldn't live without these new additions, they're really cool!

Yeah I'm pretty sure it breaks saves. Feel free to try, but make sure you know how to backup first. Good luck!

Bulletkin

• Ensign
  • Now it's into the void, now me girls and me boys~
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 16, 2022, 09:22:28 AM »

Excellent update! The nods to various FTL in-jokes have me rolling every time. Mention of the polyp's isolated life support room was probably the best.
(your local Secrets of the Frontier fanboy)

...From Mother's hands, we go. We'll be sailing to the sun 'till the voyage is done, then we'll be sleeping in the cold below~
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21