Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Smaller fighters and friendly weapons bypass  (Read 559 times)

Worachot

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Smaller fighters and friendly weapons bypass
« on: August 27, 2020, 01:25:07 AM »

(cosmetic change)
Simply as the title says, i would like fighters to be smaller. i think the scale is off right now, they are too big.

(balance change)
Also from my experience of playing this game I have never seen anything compare to the power of fighter spamming.
I think if friendly ships could shoot over/under friendly ships so they don't block firing los, then normal weapons would be more equal to fighter spamming.
I feel that fighter spamming is strong because they can bypass friendly ships. or at least have anti fighter weapons be able to bypass friendly ships.
As it is now i can just spamm fast carriers and win every time, unless the enemy use like 20x the resources and spam attack me fleet after fleet so i cant recover CR, but then my fast fleet (10 burn) can just flee recover then fight again.

Would like to hear other peoples thoughts about this.

Thanks! ^^

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Smaller fighters and friendly weapons bypass
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 01:33:58 AM »

Your points are kinda contradicting each other. You want the ships to have an easier time vs fighters but at the same time you want to make them smaller. Which isn't just a cosmetic change as you said, it's a balance one too, and a big one. The whole point of fighters having current size is so they can be hit with ship weapons easily. If they were smaller only beams would be able to hit them, or you'd need to rebalance every single weapon in the game which isn't happening.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Smaller fighters and friendly weapons bypass
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 11:33:57 AM »

Your points are kinda contradicting each other. You want the ships to have an easier time vs fighters but at the same time you want to make them smaller. Which isn't just a cosmetic change as you said, it's a balance one too, and a big one. The whole point of fighters having current size is so they can be hit with ship weapons easily. If they were smaller only beams would be able to hit them, or you'd need to rebalance every single weapon in the game which isn't happening.
They're not mutually exclusive.
I find Fighters' size too large too, since they can easily block missiles and heavy munitions not meant for them, often enough for it to be frustrating. Making them smaller makes them harder to hit, yes, but it also makes them less of an obstacle in firing at full-size ships. Depending on the degree of size reduction, this could balance out the suggested PD friendly-ship bypass and what I'm about to add.
A balance pass will need to be done at some point prior to full release, and it might be worth the effort if it mitigates the effectiveness of fighter swarms without nerfing them into oblivion. It also addresses the disbelievability of fighters attacking targets from behind another, yet the target not being able to hit back for risk of FF or otherwise wasting shots on wrecks, terrain etc.

With fighters vs full-size ships, I'd like further changes on top of those suggested in OP:
 Projectiles from large weapons punch-through fighters, dealing the projectile's full damage to the fighter but continuing on to hit what was behind.
IPDAI allows Medium weapons to bypass friendly ships when targeting fighters
Fighters deal reduced damage to full-size ships except dedicated anti-"capital" weapons - Ie. bombs, torpedoes and gunship "primary" armaments.