Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Ship Explosion are to brigth  (Read 3058 times)

Tosh

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Ship Explosion are to brigth
« on: August 03, 2020, 02:47:03 AM »

So i found out, that iam not the first one who thinks, that ships explosion are to bright. I have found this thread:

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=9068.0

There stands, that there ist an Option in setting.json:

"enableShipExplosionWhiteout":true

But it stands under the category that i need a mod for this. Is there a mod?

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Explosion are to brigth
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 02:57:24 AM »

But it stands under the category that i need a mod for this. Is there a mod?

Why would you need mod for this? Just go to Starsector\starsector-core\data\config\settings.json open it with notepad (or any other text editor application) and change what ever you want.

P.S. If you do not want to edit game files, there are solution. But it's less easy.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Terethall

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 06:16:06 PM »

GraphicsLib is a mod that defaults the whiteout to false as well, and it's a great mod for beautifying the game as well -- but it's only strongly recommended for non-potato PCs.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 08:13:41 PM »

GraphicsLib is a mod that defaults the whiteout to false as well, and it's a great mod for beautifying the game as well -- but it's only strongly recommended for non-potato PCs.
Not only does it disable the whiteout, it also replaces it with its own vastly improved visuals.

DancingMonkey

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 09:02:12 AM »

Would be nice if it was reduced a bit, it's bad when you can't see anything at all cause of a ship explosion while the AI is not stunned by this. Moreso on a string of ship explosions you are so blind you can't even see your flux.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 09:41:05 AM »

It is like red-flash from classic Doom.  Take a direct hit by a rocket for 100+ damage and (if you survive) you are blinded and cannot see for a few seconds, more than enough time for the Cyberdemon to finish you off with another rocket (if you are in a level with plenty of walls like e2m8) because you cannot see where you are going.

Starsector does not need to recreate this effect so well (with white instead of red).  The main thing that bothers me about the white flash is AI is not blinded like the player is (and AI can fight while player cannot see what is going on), although white flash in a dark room is annoying.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 09:58:08 AM »

As I've said in the past, the problem with the whiteout is it covers up the interface. Empire Earth had the same giant white flash when a nuke went off on screen, but 1) it didn't cover any UI elements and 2) you could move the view away to get rid of it.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 10:55:19 AM »

As I've said in the past, the problem with the whiteout is it covers up the interface. Empire Earth had the same giant white flash when a nuke went off on screen, but 1) it didn't cover any UI elements and 2) you could move the view away to get rid of it.
That is annoying too.  I have paused at the moment a ship exploded and I cannot see the UI at all several times.  I have to unpause, wait a few seconds, then pause again to read the UI.