Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Querying the information system of the game  (Read 343 times)

montaropdf

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Querying the information system of the game
« on: July 22, 2020, 05:03:16 AM »

Hello,

I have jumped from version 0.8.1? to 0.9.1. While the changes are plenty, there is still missing a way to query the game for some data, that seems nowhere to be found.

For example:
- Where did I left that capital ship I salvage from an unexplored system?
- What, again, did people in Samara are missing from my last visit in the system?

Those and many more information would deserve there own UI, but I think it would be less time consuming, for the developer, if the game provides a terminal with a query language and display all the data in pure text or with limited graphics when possible.

This could also allow to add our own data to the game, or to specific objects for later retrieval.

To be perfectly honest, I am an IT guy for 20 years now. I have been a full time dev and now I am more of a devops maintaining and automating tasks for linux system, so to me a terminal is life. I value a good GUI, but terminal gives so much flexibility when searching and organizing data.

Moreover, a terminal could add to the decay of technology vibe the game wants to carry.

As of the language syntax, maybe a lisp dialect (see Clozure) could also add a little something to the general look of the user interface.