Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: AI underestimating the High Intensity Laser  (Read 826 times)

Lightforger

• Ensign
    • View Profile
AI underestimating the High Intensity Laser
« on: July 22, 2020, 02:34:59 PM »

As per the title the AI seems to place an extremely low priority on blocking HIL beams and will often block other much weaker attacks over it.

Stock starsector with three minor changes the apogee balanced has been add to sim_opponents.csv, all the non-HIL weapons on the apogee balanced variant have been replaced with mining lasers and the salamander on the condor support variant was replaced with a light autocannon. None of these should alter anything too much.

Sim setup to showcase it,
1. Grab a venture and give it a single graviton beam thirty caps and vents and, hardened shields.
2. Throw it into sim vs a balanced apogee and a support condor
3. Activate autopilot and it should favor blocking swarmers from the talons over the HIL in spite of the far greater threat of the HIL.
https://imgur.com/a/HmRlpeT Sorry the small size

Hopefully this was somewhat useful or at the very least didn't waste too much time.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 08:50:41 PM by Lightforger »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: AI underestimating the High Intensity Laser
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 06:09:30 PM »

Thank you, I appreciate the detailed report! I'll make a note to take a look at this at some point; it's tricky because the AI needs to be careful with missiles, and figuring out where to draw the line is... not very straightforward.

Lightforger

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 09:03:19 PM »

I should have checked this before making a report. However running the same test but, swapping out the condor with a standard mule with it's salamanders removed yields the AI blocking heavy autocannon fire over the HIL. Hopefully that saves you from a goose chase on the missile side of things.
https://imgur.com/a/yEshqwD

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 11:46:09 AM »

Thank you for the added detail! Will see if I can make some time to check this out.