Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A "Cancel" button while quick loading  (Read 783 times)

ClosedBoudy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
A "Cancel" button while quick loading
« on: July 19, 2020, 04:25:33 AM »

i dont know how many hours of time i have basically wasted because i accidentally pressed the quick load button instead of the quick save or just generally missclicked it this might only be me but i've done it several times to the point where im considering unmapping it

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: A "Cancel" button while quick loading
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 05:35:45 AM »

"The game hasn't been saved in X minutes*. Are you sure you want to quick load?"

*Alternative: "recently"

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 02:14:34 PM »

Quick save is f5 and quick load is f9 right?

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 05:17:59 PM »

I personally unbound quick load. I don't load often enough to risk losing a save over it.

ClosedBoudy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 10:17:57 AM »

"The game hasn't been saved in X minutes*. Are you sure you want to quick load?"

*Alternative: "recently"

yes that is a perfect fix for the issue

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 07:37:32 PM »

I agree the suggestion of simply unmapping quick load is the way to go. 

From a interface perspective, you are asking for every single player to have to do 2 button presses instead of 1 to perform the quick load function.  Hit F9, then confirm.  And it is not even guaranteed to prevent the problem you are having.  If people most of the time just want to quick load, and the confirm yes is just an other press of a button, you can still get into the habit of hitting F9 and then hitting the button automatically (since that is what you want the vast majority of the time), and be annoyed at the extra step the game is making you take.  And then when you didn't mean it, get annoyed you clicked confirm too fast.

However, the option you've mentioned, unmapping, is currently 4 actions along with picking which file you want.  Esc to menu, press load, press file have the option of doubling the actions one needs to take to "quick load" (i.e. 2 button presses instead of 1) for everyone, or for the people it impacts, you can go from 1 button to 3.  Esc to menu, pick load, pick top save, press load (4 button presses).  I feel this is much better and more likely to make you think about what you're doing since you have to pick the file you want.

Its only a factor of 2 in terms of additional steps from what you're requesting, as well as already having been implemented, so no development time necessary.

The other option is to play ironman. :)