Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 26

Author Topic: [0.96a] ScalarTech Solutions 0.9.1  (Read 425122 times)

Modderintrainingwheels

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] ScalarTech Solutions 0.8.4
« Reply #225 on: August 03, 2022, 01:41:38 PM »

I absolutely love this mod Nia. Its my favorite ship pack to date, keep up the good work

ihugyourmom

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 05, 2022, 09:06:40 AM »

Version Checker claims there is an update to x.85 but dl link still shows x.84.

Nia Tahl

• Admiral
  • AI in disguise
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 05, 2022, 09:11:50 AM »

fixed the version checker notification. .5 isn't ready yet, but soon
My mods: Tahlan Shipworks - ScalarTech Solutions - Trailer Moments
It's all in the presentation

strinn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 08, 2022, 03:10:09 AM »

So I have almost finished a full playthrough with this mod as my main source for ships and I have to say that the ships both look and play amazing but I do have some balance and design complaints/feedback/suggestions.

1) Cruisers feel weak compared to destroyers (and 1 frigate). Cruisers are generally the bread and butter of a low-tech/midline fleet since they are able to absorb damage and deal large amounts of damage back (ex: Eradicator; Dominator; Champion). High-tech cruisers, however, tend to struggle in the base game and this is probably for one main reason: vanilla medium and large energy weapons suck for sustained fire engagements due to most of them either having low range, high flux cost, limited number of charges, no hard flux damage, or some combination of the 4. This was not fixed with the weapons added in the mod since most of them share these exact same weaknesses. This also means that the eradicator/hammerhead-type frontline ship roles are not viable with the Verge, Skye, and Midi due to them not being able to properly get in range of the enemy fleet or not being able to deal enough damage from a distance. I understand that these were probably made with other modded energy weapons in mind, but taking only vanilla and ScalarTech weapons into account, all of this makes them strictly inferior to destroyers (and 1 frigate) like Brim (and Skirt) since it fulfills the hunter roles that high-tech cruisers usually serve. I don't think there is an easy fix for this since the ships themselves aren't the main problem. The way to solve it would probably be to add more high-range, high-suppression energy weapons.

2) There are too many variants of same ships that essentially play the same way. There are two versions of the phase ship with armaments on the front, three versions the energy weapon hammerhead-like ship with 1 large weapon, and two versions of the carrier with hardpoint slots on the front. My problem is not that there are too many of them, but that the similarities between them make some of them redundant. For example I found myself not using the Strand because the medium hardpoint slots on the front of a carrier do not provide nearly as much value for DP as you would get by just bringing one more fighter bay into the fight due to the AI not wanting to approach the enemy ships with carriers even with medium energy weapons on the front.

3) Some ships look a bit strange compared to others. Specifically I am referring to the Corset, Midi, Verge, and Peracle. The Corset looks very different from the other two capitals and I can't stop seeing it as a mushroom. The Midi looks like a crab. The Verge looks like a brick. The Peracle (and Skye to some extent) look too short and chunky. I'm not saying that this is a big problem but I would like to see them maybe changed a bit if that's even possible.

4) Sateen and Corset are much less useful than the Filament. The thing with Sateen and Corset is that they don't have (unlocked) fighter bays unlike the Filament. Fighters are very versatile, able to act as point defense, burst, suppression, or all 3 at once (like Twines and Broadswords) and this is what energy weapons used by the other two lack. Filament also has a better system than the other two since it enhances the three functions I previously described. Corset has a pulsedrive which is one of the worst systems in the game since it doesn't provide a dps boost, is used badly by the AI, and doesn't allow you to go backwards without stopping fire, which is the entire point of mobility. Sateen's system is a bit stronger, providing some point defense as well as close-range emp and allowing you to go sideways and backwards, but has the problem of being used very badly by the AI which makes it unusable in non-player hands.

5) Frigates are a bit too weak compared to the better vanilla frigates. Normally, the better vanilla frigates serve one of, or all 3 roles: swarm; tanking damage; dealing high close-range damage. This applies to Brawler (LP), Centurion, Hyperion, Monitor, Scarab, Tempest, and Afflictor. Those that can either do all 3 roles well or 1-2 roles really well are often considered the best. If you notice, a lot of these also have 1-2 medium weapon slots, which is a big contributor to why they are good. Small weapons usually aren't good enough to be the main armament of a ship unless that ship can serve the assassin role (Afflictor) and even if it can serve that role, it's generally not used in large quantities. The Margin and Curl can only use small energy weapons but aren't nearly mobile enough to make good use of them. The Hem does have 1 medium but not enough mobility and tankiness for the AI to effectively make use of it.

Looking at the better ships in each size category the roles go somewhat like this: capitals tank damage, deal high burst or sustained damage from a large range (fire support); cruisers tank damage and overwhelm other ships with long range suppressing fire; destroyers kill smaller ships and provide medium range fire support; frigates distract larger ships, deal high close range damage, tank damage, and swarm.

All that said, I do think that most of the ships look amazing and have interesting play patterns but I do wish there were more strong ships (and weapons) besides just the carriers, civilian ships, the Skirt, and the Silken Banshee.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 03:12:49 AM by strinn »

power12359

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 08, 2022, 01:16:26 PM »

I'm gonna try out this mod. I was kinda close to not downloading this mod because I thought it wasn't part of Commissioned Crews but turns out it was. It's just labeled as Spindle Protectorate.

Thecrippler

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 11, 2022, 11:38:13 AM »

Love the mod love the ship  :) is ther any plans to add more ships and also is there any plans do modify ther weapons or add more new weapons ?? second best mod to me good work

Jet Black

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] ScalarTech Solutions 0.8.5
« Reply #231 on: August 27, 2022, 04:48:35 AM »

The Gown capital ship is absolutely amazing; I think it was the first modular ship I had ever seen. It has since become my favourite ship of all time. Strinn didn't even mention the it in his review, and yet it is hands down the best part of the mod lol.

trstrs

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 08, 2022, 01:21:36 AM »

The Gown capital ship is absolutely amazing; I think it was the first modular ship I had ever seen. It has since become my favourite ship of all time. Strinn didn't even mention the it in his review, and yet it is hands down the best part of the mod lol.
Try RED you will be amazed (maybe not, if not contact your amaze vendor)

trstrs

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 08, 2022, 01:27:51 AM »

what about Corset system (ship don't have enough mobility in a heavy fight, would like to see him with directional jump, like SRA Mimir) it will be interesting to see heavy cruiser size ship with front shield module (it also make scalartech fleets more hardy)

Taverius

• Captain
  • Mistake not ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 03, 2022, 06:28:42 PM »

Did a faction run with STS.

Not really my kind of playstyle, but pretty fun overall and I'll be keeping it around in the universe.

Some quick notes:
  • Its a little weird how you have 3 frigates in the 4-5 point range and one that's a 10.
  • I would have enjoyed the cruisers more if there was one with a mobility system. The limit release on one of them gives you speed but the cooldown is long enough you can't really use it tactically.
  • I never found a single blueprint, am I supposed to get them from contacts, or not at all?
No faction is truly established without a themed Buffalo (TAG) variant.

IroncladLion

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 18, 2022, 11:07:11 AM »

For those interested in the faction, I put together a review video of ScalarTech.
https://youtu.be/qfV-AJz4V0A

Nico_Sama

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 20, 2022, 03:09:43 AM »

Before I start with my rambling about what could be, I just wanted to say that I absolutely adore your mod, and it's been my favorite one since you posted it. I registered just to share my appreciation and to give you my 2 cents worth of feedback on it, assuming it's welcome here.

As Ironclad pointed out in his video, more ships with large missile slots as well as a smaller version of the Tineola torpedo would be a great addition to actually make use of the entire range of weapons available for the faction.

I also think that a larger version of the tanker (Culotte) would be fitting considering the theme of the faction and that we already have a small and large version of the hauler (Camisette and Camise). I always find myself going back to the good old Prometheus in the end because I often require the fuel capacity and I just think that's a shame because the ship design is modular, it probably wouldn't take that much effort to make it happen, right? Or at least that's what I believe with my rather modest experience with these things, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

If you're still ambitious about this project, I was also thinking about something a little more... demanding. I've been thinking that it would be lovely if you gave the stations a new look just to give the entire faction an even deeper feel of quality, polish and most importantly care to it, It can be just the art to keep it simple but imagine a beautiful clean ScalarTech station that doesn't just look nice on the map but also utilizes their weapons and plays to their strengths when you're fighting it. That would be wonderful, right?

Anyway that's pretty much everything I could possibly wish for, hope that helped give you an idea or two as to what to do in the future, but in the case it didn't your mod is still my favorite and always will be! ^^

Cheers!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 03:58:45 AM by Nico_Sama »

Nia Tahl

• Admiral
  • AI in disguise
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 20, 2022, 05:47:42 AM »

First point won't happen. I don't really want a lot of large mounts in the faction. They specifically are a standout aspect of the Gown. Tineolas on a smaller mount would also be too oppressive due to their design, not to mention it'd be hard to make it look nice given the sheer scale of the missile.

Larger tanker? Maybe at some point, will see.

Custom stations? Very unlikely. Spriting a station is about as much work as spriting a small faction and I just don't have the time for it.
My mods: Tahlan Shipworks - ScalarTech Solutions - Trailer Moments
It's all in the presentation

Balmung60

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 20, 2022, 07:33:34 AM »

I'm inclined to agree with Nia about the Tineolas.

I love them, but they kind of need to be limited by the general scarcity of large missile slots because they're *really* powerful. The combination of the ability to carry three such launchers and point defense suppression makes the Silken Banshee incredibly powerful. If anything more common should have the capacity for them, it should be either be one turret/hardpoint or it should be a built-in weapon.

Also, you just know that when the next Starsector patch drops, people are going to be slapping four Tineolas on the new Persean League capital ship since they're more or less agnostic towards the facing of their launchers, and my guess is that it will look goofy of course it will look goofy, the new League capital is pretty goofy-looking to begin with but be pretty oppressive.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 07:35:36 AM by Balmung60 »

Nico_Sama

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 20, 2022, 09:39:40 AM »

First point won't happen. I don't really want a lot of large mounts in the faction. They specifically are a standout aspect of the Gown. Tineolas on a smaller mount would also be too oppressive due to their design, not to mention it'd be hard to make it look nice given the sheer scale of the missile.

Larger tanker? Maybe at some point, will see.

Custom stations? Very unlikely. Spriting a station is about as much work as spriting a small faction and I just don't have the time for it.

About the Tineola... I suppose you're right about it, although I wasn't thinking about many ships, perhaps I should've described it a little more in detail, but I was trying to keep it short. I was thinking about maybe one torpedo ship that isn't a capital, something that doesn't cost a little fortune and can be used earlier in the game. Either way, you do have a point about their design and balance, and I trust your judgement.

As for the station, yeah... I had a feeling it's too much to ask, I just thought I might as well add it just in case, but I get it that you're busy with other things and that's totally fine.

Anyway, looking forward to that tanker if you end up deciding to work on it, and I appreciate the answer. ^^
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 09:43:53 AM by Nico_Sama »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 26