Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Upcoming Skill Revamp Mod/API Ideas (And *drool* Elite Skills!)  (Read 680 times)

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile

Regarding upcoming skill changes and fleet diversity mechanics:

The bonus scales down linearly, so if it's 50% at 6, then it'd be 25% at 12.

And, yeah, I get what you're saying about Shepherds/Ventures. Kind of want to see how it actually works out; I mean, losing a bit of the bonus isn't a huge deal, and just in general I'd expect the various fleetwide bonuses to be less-than-maxed-at-all-times.

That said, I could see maybe adding a tag for certain wings or ships that make their bays not count (or get the bonus). But that's getting pretty off-topic for this thread.

The tag would likely be useful. It would also be ideal to have a way to override the cap before degradation of the bonus begins (or rate of decay but linear degradation means the cap is the most important component) - but, honestly, even if it didn't I don't think it would matter too much as an initial theory. (At least for my use case, anyway, the API already lets me give free OP fighters/weapons in some circumstances so that might be enough to warrant a weakened fleet-wide bonus to simply have higher numbers for the *damage impulse* factor or, even, increased sustainability of many more bays at a much lower rate.) Just giving overall impressions/theoretical feedback. For general mod-ability, access to this stat would be sweet!

At the end of the day, I am looking forward to the skill revamp and the idea of increased fleet roles and diversity in hullsize/ship types.

Elite skills seem really interesting as a concept! Besides the expanding lore, I am really excited to see how elite skills work.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming Skill Revamp Mod/API Ideas (And *drool* Elite Skills!)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 12:29:13 AM »

If you read the blogpost, you would have known that elite skills are personal skills that can be upgraded by spending story points. If I recall correctly, the rationale is that if you want the full benefit, you have to pay more, but if you wouldn't be able to make good use of it, you get just the "basic" version of that skill.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 01:47:34 AM »

My idea is that non-personal skills can be made elite but they give hullmods/colony blueprints and bonus exp instead of additional stat bonuses or functions.

API idea, get the number of purchased skills in an aptitude.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 01:57:06 AM by SonnaBanana »
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 01:23:15 PM »

If you read the blogpost, you would have known that elite skills are personal skills that can be upgraded by spending story points. If I recall correctly, the rationale is that if you want the full benefit, you have to pay more, but if you wouldn't be able to make good use of it, you get just the "basic" version of that skill.

I did read it, yeah. What I meant was that Elite Skills (so enhanced skills using the story point currency) is interesting - at the risk of becoming no-brainer SP dumps. And since, as an assumption, there will be API and such to allow the addition of skills like there currently is now, the skills being personal don't necessary have to stay that way.

If there is the necessary API to do this, I'm also thinking of things like Elite Skills whose effects change based upon dynamic factors such as commission, etc. I'll just have to wait and see what's possible.  :)