Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: What if the Onslaught was a real battleship?  (Read 6789 times)

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: What if the Onslaught was a real battleship?
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2020, 04:25:01 PM »

I mean. The Onslaught is fine.  I just (more or less) solo’d Corvid Crowe’s fleet with a base onslaught without taking hull damage.* Sure i was well skilled but I didn’t have RFC or ITU or IPDAI or omni shield conversion! I just had 2300 armor, auto repair, and the smarts not to put my shield up unless I was going to eat a point blank explosion. 2 HAG is almost like 2 ACs except with 900 base range instead of 400. Do you like eating 2 AC to your face? Does a hammerhead kill things slowly? Well the onslaught does that more or less without as much risk.

Sabots? Face tank em. The EMP isn’t enough to shut down your guns because of the increased HP unless you take a lot of em. And when they do shut down your guns you put Em back online super fast anyway.

Reapers? Your Vulcans should clean em out before they hit you but you’ve got a bit of leeway there anyway.

Fighters? Don’t make me laugh they don’t survive long enough to be a threat.

Edit: some things that might make the onslaught better without making the onslaught hilarious would be changing its shield to an omni shield. This would make the AI better about putting it up/down since it would not be forced to start from the center every time it wanted to block a reaper. Built in blast doors could mitigate some of the logistical issues of expecting to take armor/hull damage.

It might also be possible to mess with the default weapon selection loadout to make it perform more like the conquest (where it wants to get to the side a bit) 

*and even if I did I would repair 75% hull and armor at the end of the battle for free anyway.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 04:34:39 PM by Goumindong »

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2020, 05:55:37 PM »

As an example... I came into this fight after just having fought another one, so down on CR
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

They deployed 368 ish DP of ships. I killed 222 DP of ships alone and another 51 DP of ships from assists.

Now. Obviously this isn't like...a Remnant fleet. But its still a pretty significant fleet.

The onslaught i am using for reference

Spoiler
[close]

I could probably drop the Anhillators for a HAG on the weak side but toggling weapon groups like that would be a bit awkward. I could also pick up ATG or IPDAI (but i don't have IPDAI yet) by dropping launchers which is what i will probably do
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 06:13:32 PM by Goumindong »

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2020, 06:48:15 PM »

Fascinating loadout. I would never have thought of something like that.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2020, 06:59:10 PM »

Some of that is just what I have. I only have 2 HN so I can’t stack them like I probably would want to otherwise.(though the rear/weak side would probably stay the Heavy Auto does do better than than the HN for DPS/OP and you need as much spare OP as possible) I only have 2 annihilators because I am heavy on one side and this mean the other two cannot effectively fire. Harpoons are also OK there but I like the consistent distraction that the salamanders present. If I was going to drop missiles (Or at least the annihilators) entirely I might move instead to 4x regular salamanders (they fire slightly faster for the OP than the pods)

I took a reaper in a fight after than and that makes me really want IPDAI so I would probably find OP for that once I have it. Once you have it or the +dmg to missile skill you don’t really need flack in the front. The volume of fire and Vulcans will clean up anything you care a lot about.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2020, 08:54:10 PM »

That is a gorgeous broadside Onslaught. It makes me cringe and cheer at the same time. Do you ever find yourself using the TPCs?

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2020, 09:00:08 PM »

Yes but not nearly as often as the broadside. I usually killed the atlas IIs in those fights with the TPCs as an example because I did not want to play around at the edge of their Hellbore range (they have one Hellbore and one mark IX) and while I can tank a hellbore or two it will still do about 300 damage per shot. Which adds up fast if they have their ability active.

I use it if someone drifts out of range of the broadside too. But largely it stays silent

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2020, 09:20:03 AM »

Spoiler
[close]

Why DTC not ITU? Roleplaying?
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2020, 10:15:46 AM »

Didn't have it yet. ITU is, obviously, a straight upgrade.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2020, 09:38:15 PM »

If you thought that "oh no that was not a display of an Onslaught being a real capital ship" then i've got some more for you

That fleet wasn't that big. Lets see you do it to a real fleet

Spoiler
[close]

Edit: Somehow cut the fleet off. It was 1200 deployment points (4 at once)

Oh. Well pirates are weak, even when they're buffed all to hell and have checks notes 392 fighters to suicide into your ship. You would never do that to proper carriers

Spoiler
[close]

Oh well that isn't that big a fleet. And it only had 4 Astrals and was full of chaff carriers like Drover and Heron. Maybe if you had to fight something that was super high tech and modded and much bigger

Spoiler
[close]

I have ITU and IPDAI(and an XIV now) and have rejiggered things around (i run 2x Typhoon launchers because the HAG's don't have the best armor pen and sometimes you run into something that can tank a bit, and the rear side HAC's became HMG's for a bit better PD and because i didn't really need the extra range) But fundamentally its the same thing. Laugh in the face of their pitiful damage. Eat tachyon lances off the armor like they were nothing and keep ... shooting ... that ... dakka.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 12:33:01 AM by Goumindong »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2020, 10:29:50 PM »

Nice! Could you share a screenshot of your final Onslaught build and character skills? I'd love to see the final iteration of the broadside onslaught.

This is also my experience with Onslaughts, though I tend to go forward with ACG and HMGs in some of the mediums (truly). They just brute force overpower everything.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2020, 10:45:15 PM »

This is the onslaught. There are maybe some tweaks that could be made. I would definitely want to find a place for RFC

Spoiler
[close]

I am now level 74, so i have a few extra skills than normal at 50. Though most of those are non-combat related.

Spoiler
[close]

Specifically for combat related skills i did not have at level 50 was power grid modulation and coordinated maneuvers/ECM or Helsmanship. PGM is the most "raw power" one of those and the rest were mainly just taken because they were there. I think i only had 6 officers too but i could be wrong there.

Edit: Lol trying to come up with 24 spare points and i forgot that i have 5 unspent... No wonder i could not figure out what i had and didnt. I didn't have PGM, EW 2, CW 2/3, Sensors, Navigation, planetary ops, colony management, or helsmanship. Had the rest.

Field Repairs 3 is... pretty key. Probably the most important skill of the bunch because you're going to take some hull damage* and 75% of your armor is still 1750, which is enough armor to make most hits deal minimum damage so this skill lets you fight multiple battles in a row without too many issues.

*those conquests had either 2x Squall or 2x Mirv and let me tell you that is NOT fun dealing with at the same time.

Using the TPC a lot more in harder fights/cleanup/vs capitals.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 11:01:09 PM by Goumindong »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2020, 09:37:52 AM »

I really like field repairs! I can pilot a lot more recklessly and not need to worry about it.

I'm going to try out this build and variations of it - seems quite solid, and the OP saved from having an off side gives a few more hullmods...

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2020, 11:26:18 AM »

The real key is ARU and AWM. ARU makes is so you will not lose weapons from consistent damage and AWM makes it so you will not lose weapons to burst.

You can do similar things in a dominator (though not as good obviously)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2020, 11:37:36 AM »

The best thing about Field Repairs 2 and Damage Control 2 is that your ships get repaired between deployments, increasing low-tech ships' lifespan quite substantially.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2020, 12:05:05 PM »

I may be overvaluing heavy armor. So HA provides a flat amount of HP equal to 400 x 1.1 (because we have AWM) /.9 (minimum armor dmg) /.8(take less armor dmg skill) assuming we perfectly block all 500+ hit strength weapons. This is 2750 HE dmg or 22,000 kinetic dmg (raw listed on the weapon damage)

But assuming you have the -25% hull damage reinforced bulkheads will absorb 10,666 HE or Kinetic net after doing armor dr calcs dmg(which your minimum armor is Between 246 and 370 so a LOT of kinetic will be doing minimum dmg to hull as well; inflating both of these values.)

And Heavy Armor is 10 OP more while also reducing maneuverability.

An omni shield instead to make it easier to catch missiles might be more valuable. But I bet bulkheads are just straight better

Edit 1750 + AWM minimum armor breakpoint assuming you have skills but the opponent does not is  320. Assuming attacker has all skills it’s 185(base weapon hit strength, 1/2 for kin). Only a handful of non missile weapons make that break* so its reasonable to assume minimum armor dmg from weapons through the entirety of the HA range.

* line break indicates moving to skilled opponent weapons that can do better than min dmg vs base x AWM. Second indicates the end of that but added a weapon for reference

Hellbore: 1500
Plasma cannon: 500
Tachyon Lance:1125
Mjolnir: 400
Heavy Mauler: 400
———
HAG: 240
Heavy Mortar: 220
Gauss: 187.5
——
Assault Chaingun: 180

« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 12:19:44 PM by Goumindong »