Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Adding flavor to Decivilized Worlds  (Read 650 times)

Xobra

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Adding flavor to Decivilized Worlds
« on: July 10, 2020, 10:33:43 AM »

Only found a few old Posts on this Subject, so here is another.

IMO the "Decivilized" Trait is too bland and doesn't include all circumstances of a collapsed colony, like existing Industries and Structures or the need of more Security from the Subpop.
A Size 3 Planet with only Mining that decivilized has the same effects as a Size 8 Planet that had a lot of Industry, with the Stability effects never diminishing.

An Idea would be to give Decivilized a Size Modifier, for example:
  • Size 3/4 Decivilized Planets would have "Small Decivilized Subpop." with 1 malus to Stability, removed once the Colony grows to Size 5 and requiring 1 Unit of Marines and Arms
  • Size 5/6 would be "Medium ...", with 2 malus to Stability, decaying by one with each Size 7, removed with Size 8 and requiring 3 Unit of Marines and Arms
  • Size 7+ would be "High...", with 3 malus to Stabiliy, reduce by one at 7 and 8, completely removed at Size 9 or 10 and requiring 5 Unit of Marines and Arms
  • Increase/Decrease of Hazard Rating is tied to Stability Malus.
Maybe tie Marine and Arms Need to Market Size.

"Bribing" Subpop. by a second Growth-Investment like Option to decrease Stability Malus and Marine/Arms Need for x Months; additionally Increase Pop Growth even further by convincing/ recruiting them with the power of Space Bitcoin credits.

Include a few extra Effects if the Planet had Industries. These should be viewable and be managed by Colony Info, not as a Trait if possible.
  • Half Build Time (Repair/Disrupted) and Cost for preexisting Industries and Structures, but those need to be either cleared by Security first (Send Marines) or Bribe the Locals (Full Prize, but still half built time)
  • Removing those works the same; Bribing for half price or Send Marines
  • Preexisting Industries produce Goods for half off their usual amount, but it counts as other-faction imports
  • Preexisting Heavy Industry additionally increases the Need for Marines and Arms, Orbital Works is always downgraded by Decivilization
  • Preexisting Military Base/ High Command add more Stability Malus by 1/2, also increase Marine/Arms Need. Can only be dealt with by Security Forces (reduce to Patrol HQ) or bombed from Orbit (remove completely)

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Adding flavor to Decivilized Worlds
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 10:57:31 AM »

An immediate problem I can see is that civilisations don't depopulate until they reach minimum growth iirc. As such, decivilisation only ever occurs on planet's with just one industry.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Adding flavor to Decivilized Worlds
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 11:04:21 AM »

An immediate problem I can see is that civilisations don't depopulate until they reach minimum growth iirc. As such, decivilisation only ever occurs on planet's with just one industry.

I am not sure, and should double-check, but I was always thinking deciv happens because of long instability period regardless the market size.

Plus, IIRC vanilla NPC faction's markets never depopulate to a lower size unless player's actions (satbomb).

Again, I'll double check it later, because could be wrong.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.