Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Why ships going backward same speed as they go forward  (Read 1545 times)

Titann

• Commander
    • View Profile
Why ships going backward same speed as they go forward
« on: July 04, 2020, 02:26:32 AM »

Dont you guys find that weird? i think they need engines on the front to make them go backward same speed as they go forward but of course it will make ships look very stupid, no one wants that lol.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 02:49:53 AM by tokmak333 »

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Why ships going backward same speed as they go forward
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 02:34:06 AM »

I mean when you look at things from a logical perspective you'll find a ton of things weird. Why do ships even have speed limits? They're in space, as long as they're accelerating they should become faster and faster theoretically. Similar thing with weapons. Doesn't make sense that projectiles in space just fade away and disappear. Lasers also just stop at certain range.

It's not THAT stupid tho, they already have less acceleration when going backwards. I don't know the exact numbers but I think it goes like this: forward acceleration > side acceleration > backward acceleration. If max speed was reduced when going backwards then suddenly omni shield ships would be 10 times better than front shielded ones. You either wouldn't be able to escape or just die when you turn your back end.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Titann

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 02:44:03 AM »

yeah right but i believe there can be engines or thrusters that will allow you move on stable speed for better positioning etc. and like you can activate unstable speed when it is needed. There is always a fix for issues.

Though you are right for balance issues its not going to fit to starsector. Just wondering.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 02:46:31 AM »

It's worth noting that although a ship's top speed is the same forwards as backwards, ships generally have much poorer acceleration in the reverse direction.

Regardless, yes it's a "game" thing. If you want to start arguing the logic of it, you're going to have to back it up with all the other physical discrepancies (like the aforementioned "top speed in a vacuum") as well, and SS ain't a physics simulator.

Titann

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 02:49:27 AM »

hope its not gonna be physic sim  :D that will kill the fun ofc. thanks for the responds

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 05:28:38 AM »

Reverse thrust exists  ::)

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 05:33:22 AM »

Dont you guys find that weird? i think they need engines on the front to make them go backward same speed as they go forward but of course it will make ships look very stupid, no one wants that lol.

That's not how physics works.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2020, 06:08:56 AM »

It is so that the cowardly AI can annoy the player by backpedaling indefinitely until it is forced to stop by getting cornered or engines shutting down (after CR decays to zero).

There is too much backpedaling (and possibly strafing/sidestepping) in this game.  Puts the Supox special ability in Star Control 2 to shame.  I wonder what the game would be like if it had classic controls like in Asteroids or Star Castle where ships can either spin or move forward.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2020, 12:14:14 PM »

No. Its so that frigates don’t get pasted by battleships because they’re unable to maneuver away from guns (and because frigate broadside maneuvering is much harder due to the twitchiness of their turn speeds)

Battleships have effective lower speeds in reverse due to the maneuvering disadvantage of reverse thrust on large ships. Broadsliding not withstanding.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2020, 02:54:18 PM »

No. Its so that frigates don’t get pasted by battleships because they’re unable to maneuver away from guns (and because frigate broadside maneuvering is much harder due to the twitchiness of their turn speeds)

Battleships have effective lower speeds in reverse due to the maneuvering disadvantage of reverse thrust on large ships. Broadsliding not withstanding.

Indeed. There are dozens of ways to deal with "cowardly" (IE not completely suicidal) AI ships, but if ships moved backwards slower than forwards then every higher mobility ship would suffer, and most would become completely useless without significant balance changes.