Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 106

Author Topic: [0.97a] Arma Armatura v3.0.5 BETA [2/8/24]  (Read 653064 times)

oipo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Arma Armatura 1.5.2e (9/16/2021)
« Reply #510 on: December 26, 2021, 01:56:26 AM »

This mod looks so cool, you've done such a good job making it!

Can't seem to download it tho, the tinyurl link is broken :(

[attachment deleted by admin]

shoi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: December 26, 2021, 02:18:35 AM »

Try this link instead:
https://mega.nz/file/aFV0WTyJ#Wbuy6cPJwWKHP_SLI0kyxI8pc13c2jSGQmkmIgm83tY

Re: the previous post with a lot of feedback/suggestions, I did read it! I'll get back to it later with a legitimate post, but I can say next update does account for multiple manned fighter bays

oipo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: December 26, 2021, 02:40:50 AM »

Thank you so much!!! Finally I can rp as mech oriented mercenary suite :)

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: December 26, 2021, 04:28:20 AM »

here's a thought

what if we had a mech whose main weapon cannot change but you CAN switch its ammunition and firing type in the refit screen, how versatile could that be ?

sphr

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: December 26, 2021, 04:42:46 AM »

here's a thought

what if we had a mech whose main weapon cannot change but you CAN switch its ammunition and firing type in the refit screen, how versatile could that be ?

Isn't this (or similar/equivalent) already implemented?  e.g. in Aleste(s) L/R arm weapons.  Basically, it is like implementing different instances of weapons that looked similar (so it looked like "same" weapon, just with different ammo/effects).

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: December 26, 2021, 06:20:01 AM »

@sphr

Yes but so far theses options don't really change how you play thoses mechs
its always more or less a variation of "flank and spank"

Heck if we got all the strike craft mechs as playable I'm sure peoples could come up with some mischief, I know I'd love me a pilotable Valken X if only for the EMP emitter or maybe one of thoses dual gatling mechs....Kouto was it ?

sphr

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: December 26, 2021, 11:42:51 AM »

@sphr

Yes but so far theses options don't really change how you play thoses mechs
its always more or less a variation of "flank and spank"

Heck if we got all the strike craft mechs as playable I'm sure peoples could come up with some mischief, I know I'd love me a pilotable Valken X if only for the EMP emitter or maybe one of thoses dual gatling mechs....Kouto was it ?

I think I get it: though some of the weapons can be "swapped" (the built-in probably cannot use the usual weapons because of animation etc), not all can be done so.
Aleste(S) is already the most customizable (of the strikecrafts), where the two back turrets are general, while the two hands can choose between limited stuff. But others (e.g. einhander) cannot really be changed.

customizability is definitely one of the wish of every mech fan I think (correct me if I am wrong?). Not just the built-in weapons/ammunition, if there can be a more ... general "platform" for creating a mech out of "compatible parts", it could be very interesting.  ArmaA is prob one of the best mods in the area already, from what I've experienced firsthand. esp now with the most previous "legs" showcase.

But hardcoding one mech design to look good, and expanding it into a pseudo framework where the parts (in addition to left/right arm/weapons, head, backpack, shoulder, legs etc) can be arbitrary chosen could take a lot of work.Given no understanding of the modding itself, I have no idea of the difficulty involved though.  Would gladly help if I can though.

I'll just cross my fingers and hoped for the best...

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: December 26, 2021, 12:19:47 PM »

ArmaA is prob one of the best mods in the area already, from what I've experienced firsthand. esp now with the most previous "legs" showcase.

Dunno, here's hoping legs even make it in!  But seriously, if they tend to tank VRAM too much (due to extra sprites), prolly not gonna make it... and sorry for the alliteration, just couldn't not do it!
I wasn't always a Judge...

shoi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: December 26, 2021, 05:21:05 PM »

no they're definitely getting in. there's only a set for each tech type which is hightech and midline and the # of frames is equivalent to a really fancy rotary weapon, so it shouldnt be an issue except for possibly einhander  :'(
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 05:22:56 PM by shoi »

sphr

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: December 27, 2021, 10:26:54 AM »

Balance? forget about it. I want my ace-pilot led mech squads ! lol
Spoiler

now, if only I can get the launching from carrier thing to work with multiple wings as well...
[close]

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: December 27, 2021, 11:57:00 AM »

no they're definitely getting in. there's only a set for each tech type which is hightech and midline and the # of frames is equivalent to a really fancy rotary weapon, so it shouldnt be an issue except for possibly einhander  :'(

Sweeee3et! But, um, not to question the mod author or anything, but what is max number of legged sprites you have tested per battle?  Normally it won't be a huge deal since most battles don't involve too many mechs from this mod, but have you tested 25 mechs/mech wings vs 25 mech wings (plus a few carriers per side)?  Just curious if there are any compounding issues from running too many legged mechs...
I wasn't always a Judge...

sphr

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: December 27, 2021, 01:58:39 PM »

Sweeee3et! But, um, not to question the mod author or anything, but what is max number of legged sprites you have tested per battle?  Normally it won't be a huge deal since most battles don't involve too many mechs from this mod, but have you tested 25 mechs/mech wings vs 25 mech wings (plus a few carriers per side)?  Just curious if there are any compounding issues from running too many legged mechs...

I run a heavily modified game, with further modifications on myself.  so far, have tried up to 10+ piloted mechs each with 2 fighter mechs attached, as well as a number of carriers throwing out around 10-20+ more mechs + a splattering of other fighers like drones.

that should be up to 50+? but that's only on MY side.  the enemy also carries their own ships and fighters.  (I run higher than 800 battle size btw)

At times, when the missiles/bullets starts flying, it DOES slow the game for while, but it was fun... lol

EDIT: this is the current ones WITHOUT legs, btw.  So if we conservatively estimate that a legged mech won't take more resources than 2 current ones, I think no problem.
Besides, it isn't really the problem with hardware afaik.  could be with java.  modern hardware can crunch textures/geometry at a scale way more than this, and do GPU-based ai at the same time with no problem.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 02:01:14 PM by sphr »

shoi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: December 28, 2021, 01:01:33 AM »

ill just say that out of all the things that could turn into huge potential performance problems, legs are at the bottom of the list

sphr

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: December 28, 2021, 11:11:23 AM »

Just had a thought...

What if the drone bits (like that for einhandler) carries a strong enough MELEE-range weapon (like the laser blade for aleste) with point defence capability, and give it insane speed and maneuverability while being restricted to a short engagement distance....

Then put it on a melee mech (which doesn't shoot down missiles etc).

will the dancing beam blades chop down incoming stuff like missiles/bullets/fighters?

Space_Lettuce_OG

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: December 28, 2021, 11:42:19 AM »

Just had a thought...

What if the drone bits (like that for einhandler) carries a strong enough MELEE-range weapon (like the laser blade for aleste) with point defence capability, and give it insane speed and maneuverability while being restricted to a short engagement distance....

Then put it on a melee mech (which doesn't shoot down missiles etc).

will the dancing beam blades chop down incoming stuff like missiles/bullets/fighters?

While we're on topic of the einhandler, I've been wanting to say thig for a while, but I keep forgetting to come here and say it.

I think a shield type drone, much like the mobile dolls in Gundam Wing had, would be a cool alternative as well. 2(+1 as a replacement) floating drones that have a shield in front of them, with it's own flux. It can float around the einhandler, and blocks shots, but has a weakness of EMP damage disabling it or passing right through it.

Mobile Doll Gundam Reference: https://gundam.fandom.com/wiki/OZ-02MD_Virgo

Who says we can only have 1 type of drone? Perhaps make it a swappable component?
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 106