Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 106

Author Topic: [0.97a] Arma Armatura v3.0.5 BETA [2/8/24]  (Read 653145 times)

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Arma Armatura 1.4.7 (5/6/2021)
« Reply #225 on: May 23, 2021, 03:13:41 AM »

The Valken or especially the mechs from VOTOMS seem low tech enough for the LP to like. Just go crazy, deploy a swarm of Valkens with just the powder-actuated punches and a detachable one-way booster!

shoi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 23, 2021, 08:56:19 PM »

That's legit, looking forward to that.  Still, can you take some time first and mod in some added animations for the mech?  Mine never flips over when changing directions (ie, does an Immelmann), I have to literally turn around every time (although I'll admit that might be a limitation of the game engine).  Also, maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I can't seem to get your plasma cutter to auto-fire and wreck stuff when I fly/boost over a ship.  Trying to aim/fire it without auto-fire is... ridiculous with its weapon arc.

Also some different hull mod weapons for Ludd would be cool (although I guess that would mean different weapons for low vs medium vs high tech)!

I'm not 100% sure what you mean when you talk about animations..it sounds like you are saying the turn speed is too slow, but not positive.

About the laser blade. if anything it's too easy to use. I've seen AI carve destroyers to bits with it when conditions are right and a few people have shown they can easily achieve a 3000%+ starship legends damage rating when using it. I'd suggest trying to "joust" with it by using the blade in combination with microburn for an easier time. I believe ITU increases the blade length as well, which should give a wider margin of error
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 08:57:58 PM by shoi »

radekplug

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 24, 2021, 06:25:06 AM »

I had reports viruses archive not windows defender bout other programs have same reports.

TrickyTidy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 24, 2021, 08:15:03 AM »

A balance idea about the laser blade.
Since you can do monstrous damage just camping on top of a ship with the blade on autofire, maybe the blade damage can be tweaked to be much lower over time but on first contact do more damage? The Ethniu beam from Tahlan has a proc effect where it causes an explosion on first contact with hull/armor once per beam activation.

I think that would make it more viable to hit and run with the blade as dashing in to stab could still do considerable damage. Players that are good enough can still camp on top of a ship but at least they would have to manually stab with the blade to maximize damage instead of just having it autofire.

Ichaival

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 24, 2021, 08:14:51 PM »

I am trying to create my own versions of the mobile suits, specifically creating skins of the Altagrave with different arm weapons. I can get the submodules/new weapons to spawn on the model itself when I look at the fleet screen, but opening the refit screen causes this error:
Code
216344 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
at data.scripts.weapons.armaa_altagraveEffect.advance(armaa_altagraveEffect.java:225)
Is there something big that I am missing? Thanks for any assistance

Edit cause I realize I didn't provide much info: I'm primarily just copying the skin / variant files and just changing id's + changing weapons on the skin file
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 08:26:31 PM by Ichaival »

shoi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 24, 2021, 08:42:59 PM »

Since you can do monstrous damage just camping on top of a ship with the blade on autofire, maybe the blade damage can be tweaked to be much lower over time but on first contact do more damage? The Ethniu beam from Tahlan has a proc effect where it causes an explosion on first contact with hull/armor once per beam activation.

I think that would make it more viable to hit and run with the blade as dashing in to stab could still do considerable damage. Players that are good enough can still camp on top of a ship but at least they would have to manually stab with the blade to maximize damage instead of just having it autofire.
That might be a good idea. Blading stuff to death seems to be a lot harder to pull off at lower levels, but pretty easy to perform once the pilot has a few combat skills. will look into this to hopefully not make it as braindead late game

I am trying to create my own versions of the mobile suits, specifically creating skins of the Altagrave with different arm weapons. I can get the submodules/new weapons to spawn on the model itself when I look at the fleet screen, but opening the refit screen causes this error:
Code
216344 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
at data.scripts.weapons.armaa_altagraveEffect.advance(armaa_altagraveEffect.java:225)
Is there something big that I am missing? Thanks for any assistance

Edit cause I realize I didn't provide much info: I'm primarily just copying the skin / variant files and just changing id's + changing weapons on the skin file
line 225 is:
Code
shoulderR.getSprite().setCenterY(armR.getBarrelSpriteAPI().getCenterY()); 
Unless you removed the shoulder for some reason, it's crashing because your gun doesn't have a barrelsprite, which altagrave script uses to simulate shoulder recoil (for alta's weapons the barrelsprite is the entire arm, with the actual weaponsprite being blank)

Ichaival

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 24, 2021, 09:06:41 PM »

Unless you removed the shoulder for some reason, it's crashing because your gun doesn't have a barrelsprite, which altagrave script uses to simulate shoulder recoil (for alta's weapons the barrelsprite is the entire arm, with the actual weaponsprite being blank)

Ah so it is crashing because the weapon I am using doesnt have a "turretGunSprite" field and instead uses "turretSprite"? I'm guessing there isn't that much I can do to work around this other than creating duplicates of the weapons I want to add but changing moving their turret sprite to turretGun?

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 25, 2021, 12:46:16 AM »

That's legit, looking forward to that.  Still, can you take some time first and mod in some added animations for the mech?  Mine never flips over when changing directions (ie, does an Immelmann), I have to literally turn around every time (although I'll admit that might be a limitation of the game engine).  Also, maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I can't seem to get your plasma cutter to auto-fire and wreck stuff when I fly/boost over a ship.  Trying to aim/fire it without auto-fire is... ridiculous with its weapon arc.

Also some different hull mod weapons for Ludd would be cool (although I guess that would mean different weapons for low vs medium vs high tech)!

I'm not 100% sure what you mean when you talk about animations..it sounds like you are saying the turn speed is too slow, but not positive.

About the laser blade. if anything it's too easy to use. I've seen AI carve destroyers to bits with it when conditions are right and a few people have shown they can easily achieve a 3000%+ starship legends damage rating when using it. I'd suggest trying to "joust" with it by using the blade in combination with microburn for an easier time. I believe ITU increases the blade length as well, which should give a wider margin of error

Dunno, just Google Immelmann turn and you'll figure out what I'm referring to.  Normal ships shouldn't be able to do this, but since your mechs are frigates that turn into fighters... would be cool.  So like Z key or something flips your ship around (animation would be cool, though not technically necessary).  So I can zip across and cut a ship (EMP blade would be legit), instead of just trying keep sitting on top of a ship.  But I accept this might exceed the capabilities of the game engine.

That might be a good idea. Blading stuff to death seems to be a lot harder to pull off at lower levels, but pretty easy to perform once the pilot has a few combat skills. will look into this to hopefully not make it as braindead late game

This is more or less what I'm referring to with the laser blade, just also want it to auto fire when I boost over ships.  So I can concentrate on aiming long range, not wildly swinging short range weapon with weird arc.  Though maybe I just haven't been clicking the auto fire option and need to fix it.  Merely a suggestion, though.
I wasn't always a Judge...

Tecrys

• Admiral
  • repair that space elevator!
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 25, 2021, 01:38:21 AM »

Dunno, just Google Immelmann turn and you'll figure out what I'm referring to.  Normal ships shouldn't be able to do this, but since your mechs are frigates that turn into fighters... would be cool.  So like Z key or something flips your ship around (animation would be cool, though not technically necessary).  So I can zip across and cut a ship (EMP blade would be legit), instead of just trying keep sitting on top of a ship.  But I accept this might exceed the capabilities of the game engine.
Having modded SS myself with a huge amount of animations I have to say that you are asking a lot here. It is a considerable amount of spriting and coding work to animate a maneuver like that, I'm talking tens of hours here, for a minor graphical feature that migbt be unnoticably better (or even worse) then just high turn speed. The Battlesuits as they are in this superb mod are heavily coded already to do all that fancy animation stuff. TLDR not worth the effort
About turning a frigate into a fighter: That's a code limitation thing since you can't normally pilot fighters. It is not meant to be taken literally.

Edit: I should have quoted your original post in which you were asking for this to make it clearer what I am replying to. I hope my point still comes across
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 01:49:50 AM by Tecrys »
Symbiotic Void Creatures 0.5.0-alpha for 0.97a is out
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=28010.0

Noviastar

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 25, 2021, 10:52:03 PM »

I see i might not be the only one i get virus notifications when trying the download link...  Anyone else?

shoi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 26, 2021, 12:02:54 AM »

Ah so it is crashing because the weapon I am using doesnt have a "turretGunSprite" field and instead uses "turretSprite"? I'm guessing there isn't that much I can do to work around this other than creating duplicates of the weapons I want to add but changing moving their turret sprite to turretGun?

yep

This is more or less what I'm referring to with the laser blade, just also want it to auto fire when I boost over ships.  So I can concentrate on aiming long range, not wildly swinging short range weapon with weird arc.  Though maybe I just haven't been clicking the auto fire option and need to fix it.  Merely a suggestion, though.

It already does/can autofire, so you might have just had it off. Anyway, i've been messing around with making the attack itself a slash instead of a stab, which seems like it'll be easier to use

@tecrys: Yeah, basically that. if turn speed is bad, i'd rather just increase it instead of dumping hours making an animation that achieves the same thing. though IMO, the turn speed is fine as is.

Katsumi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 28, 2021, 12:55:59 AM »

Hey Shoi. Huge fan of Arma Armatura. It's rapidly become one of my most favourite mods, and I've been using it extensively. It's an absolute joy! I have, however, been having a persistent issue with the Aleste's in my fleet. They seem to turn around and return to hangar extremely often. In most fights, I've seen them land at my flagship for a refit, take off and fly to the enemy, fire exactly one shot, and then turn around and come back for a refit again. They've been doing this repeatedly. At first I thought it had something do with limited ammo weapons, but when I swapped to unlimited weapons they still repeated this behaviour. It seems to happen at any CR rating, too. I also took the Landing override off of all fire groups, and that also didn't have an effect. Any idea what might cause this behaviour? As cool as they are, spending so much time in turnaround is really limiting how much they can contribute to any fight. The Einhänders don't seem to have this problem.

I've included a couple screenshots of their loadouts.

th3boodlebot

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 28, 2021, 05:37:46 AM »

I think you should make two swords: a stab sword that's kinetic (maybe a spear?) And a slashing sword that is high explosive.

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 28, 2021, 01:27:13 PM »

Here's thought

what if we had a mech who had a punching weapon ?
Was thinking something like EDF's Jackhammer series of weapons, litterally a giant metal fist set to get propelled forward by detonating propellant charges rapidly behind the fist

Come to think of it I'd LOVE a mech that can be customised  such as changing out the arms....

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 28, 2021, 01:40:41 PM »

Here's thought

what if we had a mech who had a punching weapon ?
Was thinking something like EDF's Jackhammer series of weapons, litterally a giant metal fist set to get propelled forward by detonating propellant charges rapidly behind the fist

Come to think of it I'd LOVE a mech that can be customised  such as changing out the arms....

The assault suit Valken from Cybernator has such a punch built into its arms.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 106