Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Option to forbid blueprints.  (Read 2846 times)

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Option to forbid blueprints.
« on: June 24, 2020, 08:01:02 AM »

Can we have "forbidden" column in a faction's doctrine screen similar to "prioritize"?

Yes, I know, I can just prioritize some other hull from a same role to effectively nullify frequency of unwanted hulls in a fleet. But sometimes it make add too many ships of those role, as they "prioritized" now, leaving less space for ships you really want.

Also, I am aware that real auto-resolve fleet strength is the same no matter what is prioritized, as detachments generated based on a fleet points. It might be just cosmetic problem, but it is annoying to see ships you hate in your own patrols.

Alternatively, "priority" column can be changed from checkbox to value (0-5), where 0 - do not use, 5 - max priority, 3 - default option, normal frequency.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Option to forbid blueprints.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 08:51:08 AM »

Ah, the blacklist suggestion again.  I would like a blacklist option to prevent unwanted things.  The current priority system is ridiculously arcane.

Also, it would be nice if there was a separate priority system for fleets and battlestations.  Currently, weapon priority is set to what I want my battlestations to use, which may not be what I want for ships.

Dread Pirate Robots

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 09:05:13 AM »

I definitely agree, a way of banning certain ships and weapons would help making strongly themed patrols.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 09:50:36 AM »

I was wondering when this topic would be brought up again for the 12th time. I can agree to every single one but in the end Alex said something along the lines of: not easily done, too much work for little gain. If it was something easy to add he would've done it by now 100%.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 09:58:55 AM »

You know...

No. You right. I've should check before creating topic.

Someone please close it.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 10:05:57 AM »

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with repeated suggestions. It just shows what people want in the game. Besides, the search function on this site is not good, and you can't really guess the titles of previous posts most of the time.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 10:08:53 AM »

STOP.

Wait a minute.

OK, we can not have blacklist option. It is hard to implement and blah-blah. I can understand this.

Why we can not have option to "forget" we ever know that blueprint?

Sounds like good mod request thing.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 10:31:12 AM »

It has been a while since the last blacklist topic, enough for necromancy if posted there, so might as well post another, unless it made it to 'Frequently Made Suggestions'

I tried not learning blueprints, but the problem with that is raiding for blueprints will keep coughing up blueprints I did not want to learn.  In the end, I learn all the blueprints then navigate through the minefield of priorities.  There needs to be a better way!

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2020, 11:52:48 AM »

Wasn't the problem that the player might want to block the last ship for a category? The UI could just not allow that, I'd think.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2020, 01:57:29 PM »

<wrong topic, cannot delete>

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2020, 06:46:04 PM »

Wasn't the problem that the player might want to block the last ship for a category? The UI could just not allow that, I'd think.
Let them.
NPC factions can be setup to entirely *not* use phase ships, or capitals, any other group desired, or any specific hull desired... Why should the player not be allowed as such? If they want their factions to spam nothing but Hounds for example? That is on them heh.

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2020, 07:44:02 PM »

It would indeed be cool to have a great degree of agency to which our own faction's field ships.

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2020, 07:54:12 PM »

I think an issue with blocking all ships of a category is that its established that AI fleets don't need logistics since they have infinite supplies/fuel. If nothing negative happens to AI fleets due to logistical concerns, I would simply block all civilian ships and many hybrids so that all FPs are spent on warships rather than civilians giving my fleets an inherent advantage in combat. There's no "Civ ship" doctrine because it would just get dumped all the time anyway, and blocking BPs could functionally lead to the same.

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2020, 08:50:35 PM »

To be honest, I think it's ok to block ships the player thinks is inferior. The way I think about it is that the player needs to find the blueprints to make this possible first so it's not like they can do this immediately. I don't particularly think any one category should be forced on the player fleets.

Player trade fleets could also be an exception in that they have to have freighters of some kind.

Notthebeez

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2020, 05:31:57 AM »

I don't want Science Vessels in my defence fleets. Which idiot at Fleet HQ greenlit that! I bet it was Frank....
I'm starting to see why my colonies are always short on recreational drugs now; the Navy top brass are all high as kites in the fleet design sessions.

If a certain amount of fuel/supply storage is needed to maintain the illusion of a balanced fleet then just say that, and make the player pick a fuel/freight option and have the game balance out quantity numbers. I'm having some right crap turn up in picket fleets. The modern equivalent would be taking your plumbers work transit van on a Frontline tour of Afghanistan, that *** gunna ruin your day.

You can't expect us to go through ticking all those blueprints man, that's torture. I wouldn't inflict that on my accountant ffs.

So yeah, a blacklist would be lovely.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 05:35:28 AM by Notthebeez »
Pages: [1] 2