Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cursed builds  (Read 3108 times)

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Cursed builds
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2020, 11:35:36 AM »

I mean anything with Sabots will do great in simulator duels. Until it runs out of Sabots. It doesn't say much except that Sabots are stupidly strong.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2020, 11:38:56 AM »

RFC is useful in player's hand. Extremely cheap for what it do.

I like it on my flagship Paragon. Full flux venting is 3 (!) seconds. Usually it able to vent and rise shields back before those pesky torpedoes hit it. Not good for long fights, but exactly what you need for intense brawling!
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2020, 11:42:58 AM »

When you got few weapons and no hullmods / Odyssey

[close]

Edit: added "and no hullmods" to spoiler name
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 09:44:53 PM by pedro1_1 »

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2020, 11:53:09 AM »

I mean anything with Sabots will do great in simulator duels. Until it runs out of Sabots. It doesn't say much except that Sabots are stupidly strong.

Yeah true. But it can also reliably beat dominators with harpoons instead of sabots (even when not a single harpoon actually lands, heh). It might take armor damage in that scenario but typically no hull damage.

The build won't do anything to a conquest with harpoons equipped though.  :D

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2020, 12:39:23 PM »

When you got few weapons / Odyssey

[close]

You have 50 vents and a flux distributor (70 OP of vents) that you arent using. There are plenty of other options you could fit reasonably even if none of them are guns

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2020, 01:31:51 PM »

Re: Odyssey
This is exactly what I meant with stupid (non-Sabot) high-tech builds (few guns, all flux, various hullmods).  Replace autopulse with plasma cannons and few other minor things, and it is close to Odyssey I would pilot.

If I do not use Sabots on Aurora, it would be just two heavy blasters, few burst PD, and the rest of the OP sunk into flux and shields.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2020, 01:41:47 PM »

Re: Odyssey
This is exactly what I meant with stupid (non-Sabot) high-tech builds (few guns, all flux, various hullmods).  Replace autopulse with plasma cannons and few other minor things, and it is close to Odyssey I would pilot.

If I do not use Sabots on Aurora, it would be just two heavy blasters, few burst PD, and the rest of the OP sunk into flux and shields.
The point was not to be optimal and the poster said its something you would fly if you didn't have access to weapons you wanted.

Which it is. Its just that its got 1650 dissipation with 760 max usage. Spending 70 OP in order to clear its flux a bit faster when it has nothing to spend it on anyway and plenty of spare to wait for it to go down. 70 OP would buy you an OP center and Efficiency Overhaul with 25 OP left over. Still not optimal but also not actively intentionally bad

Terethall

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2020, 02:15:19 PM »

[close]
This build demonstrated a fundamental misunderstanding, or a willful ignorance, of flux dissipation and opportunity cost when it was posted on the subreddit, and it continues to do so now.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2020, 02:56:27 PM »

The point was not to be optimal and the poster said its something you would fly if you didn't have access to weapons you wanted.

Which it is. Its just that its got 1650 dissipation with 760 max usage. Spending 70 OP in order to clear its flux a bit faster when it has nothing to spend it on anyway and plenty of spare to wait for it to go down. 70 OP would buy you an OP center and Efficiency Overhaul with 25 OP left over. Still not optimal but also not actively intentionally bad
I know that.  My point was that so-called cursed Odyseey is close to optimal to begin with.  All I would do is replace autopulse and Magazines with plasma cannons, Wasps with something better, maybe take out Auxiliary Thrusters.  (I would add Hardened Shields and maybe more beam PD too.)  It is just minor changes from functional to optimal, at least as a playership.

Also, notice most mounts on that Odyssey are empty.  That Odyssey is nearly unarmed, and it looks stupid!  Yet... if it had plasma cannons instead of Autopulse, and few minor tweaks, it would be an optimal Odyssey playership loadout.  (I tried more classic loadouts bristling with weapons, but Odyssey cannot win shootouts well, but if I try that "cursed" Odyssey with plasma cannons, it will outgun enemy battleships.)

That non-missile high-tech ships (with no Sabots) are best served with few main guns and most mounts are empty, while flux and shields are min-maxed, is what I dislike about high-tech ships with no ballistic mounts.

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2020, 03:10:19 PM »

[close]
This build demonstrated a fundamental misunderstanding, or a willful ignorance, of flux dissipation and opportunity cost when it was posted on the subreddit, and it continues to do so now.

Or that I'm 3 hours in the campain and did not find any good weapons and no hull mods to use, which is the case

shrek_luigi

• Ensign
  • im green as ****
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2020, 05:18:55 PM »

these loadouts are not cursed, they are a blessing
@Shrek_luigi: While I applaud your choice of flagship, please don't circumvent the profanity filter.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2020, 05:35:22 PM »

So THIS is how it feels to be "triggered..."

*looooooong inhale*

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGH!!!!!

I'll be okay; I just...need a minute.

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2020, 06:48:40 PM »

[close]

Never mind the Odyssey, it's the Buffalo Mk III I am looking it.

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2020, 10:34:05 AM »

For the people pointing out that the Odyssey has far more dissipation than max flux usage, keep in mind that displayed weapon flux stat is based off sustained firing rather than burst firing (eg. firing Autopulse on Reload rather than full ROF) so it tends to undershoot a ton when using bursty clip based weapons. In fact, his dissipation is only 400 over firing one of those autopulses full-time, and with expanded magazines they're firing it for awhile. With two autopulses and that dissipation, they could choose to alternate firing one of those autopulses full time and maintain shields for better sustain or fire both for alpha. I'd say its a pretty decent build if there really is nothing else and with no learnable hullmods.
Pages: 1 [2]